Some people I know running the stock OS for the tour wanted to upgrade their BBM after I told them about the new one. I do not want to have them do this unless I know having them use the www.blackberry.com/messenger/ link will not cause them to lose their contacts. They are far away, so showing them how to use the device manager to backup their contacts is kinda tricky. I will explain that if I must.

So, will using the link earase their contacts or not when they update their bbm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 02:17 PM
    i used the ota link and i kept all of my contacts.
    10-08-09 02:18 PM
    I used app world with absolutely no problem whatsoever.
    10-08-09 02:20 PM
    ^^Same^^ contacts arnt lost and with BBM 5.0 they offer remote backup of all your BBM contacts.
    10-08-09 02:23 PM
    You should abso-fricken-loutely have them back up their BB before anything they change like this. People don't think about it but things go wrong. Didn't you guys see how many problem threads there were last night? Without backups their contact list is gone gone gone. Not to mention their other data on the BB when they reinstall the OS.

If they are clueless how to do it at least have them use the old-school method of writing down their contact list with a pencil and paper.

Basically what I mean is if everything goes right their contacts are still there after running the update. But there were a rash of people who lost their lists and all the other data on their phones when their OS had to be reloaded due to whatever issues there were.

Get them into the habit of being smart and making weekly backups, and especially a new backup before installing anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-08-09 at 03:02 PM.
    10-08-09 02:58 PM
    I ugraded without an issue
    10-08-09 03:11 PM
    As most here, i updated without an issue but rare things do happen. Make sure you/they at least have a back up if things don't work out.
    10-08-09 03:32 PM
    I upgraded via App World. While the installation was flawless, I lost my contacts; not to mention, it seems that 10Mb memory has disappeared. Otherwise, all is working fine.
    10-08-09 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD