it seems the official version of .86 is coming out in next two days, if getting my new storm today do i still upgrade to leaked .86 now or wait for official?

If i upgrade to leaked will there be any problems upgrading to official in 2 days?
    01-14-09 09:51 AM
    I do remember reading a post talking about release dates for updated OS's and Jan. 15 was one of the dates. I would wait. You never know what issues you're going to see with a leaked OS.

Im waiting because Im fairly happy with .75 right now.
    01-14-09 09:56 AM
    If, as you say, the official OS .86 is coming out in the next two days, why would you install the leaked version and then upgrade again to the official version?
    01-14-09 09:57 AM
    it seems the official version of .86 is coming out in next two days, if getting my new storm today do i still upgrade to leaked .86 now or wait for official?

If i upgrade to leaked will there be any problems upgrading to official in 2 days?
    A leaked OS is NEVER different than an Official Release. If it was, they would have to change the version number.
    01-14-09 09:58 AM
    I am also happy with .75, but remember there is no guarantee that an official OS will be released on any date.
    01-14-09 09:58 AM
    A leaked OS is NEVER different than an Official Release. If it was, they would have to change the version number.
    Who says the official OS release will be .86?
    01-14-09 10:01 AM
    I'm getting sick and tired of these topics being created every 47 seconds.
    01-14-09 10:02 AM
    I never said it was. He asked about .86.
    01-14-09 10:06 AM
    I'm getting sick and tired of these topics being created every 47 seconds.
    Then why even click to read em?
    01-14-09 10:07 AM
    I always wait for the official released OS. The reason is that Verizon checks, then double checks the release for bugs. If your into geekdom and messing with electronics...have at it with the leaked. I am not that familiar with hacking and such so I'll wait for the official release before getting into trouble.
    01-14-09 10:08 AM

IF the leaked version is the same version number of the official you will have to downgrade to get the official.

But nobody is certian when exactly the new version will be available.
    01-14-09 10:09 AM
    I always wait for the official released OS. The reason is that Verizon checks, then double checks the release for bugs. If your into geekdom and messing with electronics...have at it with the leaked. I am not that familiar with hacking and such so I'll wait for the official release before getting into trouble.
    Could not have said it better! I of course AM a geek and have loaded every leak I could get my grubby little (little?1?!? ) hands on. It is NOT for the novice, I have previous BB expeirence (limited) plus I am a computer tech at my day job, and still I had trouble with one of the leaks and ended up losing all my 3rd Party Apps and had to reload them. Of course as a geek I almost enjoy stuff like this. Some folks are MUCH better off waiting till VZW (or your provider) certifies and releases whatEVER update they pick.
    01-14-09 10:17 AM
    This is pure speculation but I doubt that Verizon will give their seal of approval on .86 and just send it out. There are a number of noticeable bugs in .86 like the LED notification issue. Verizon has a reputation and probably won't release .86 because of all the bugs.
    01-14-09 10:24 AM
    If the Official will be out in two days, why would you want to mess with the leaked?
    01-14-09 10:26 AM
    Just wait for the official - even if its more than 2 days. Whats the point of going from something slower that works to something a tad faster that doesnt?
    01-14-09 10:29 AM
    If the Official will be out in two days, why would you want to mess with the leaked?

why not? If you don't like it, spend the 10 minutes and downgrade back to .75. There's no negative to trying out an OS folks...it's not going to brick the berry, it's not going to activate the secret "burstintoflames.jas" mode.

Upgrade to the leaked one, and if you don't like it, go back to .75 and wait for the official. If you do liek it, keep it.

We're not talking about hacking here...we're talking about using a usb cable and a mouse. Not exactly the toughest thing ever.

Pansies.
    01-14-09 10:34 AM
    Who said there was a new version to come out? I haven't heard and I work for verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 10:34 AM
    This is pure speculation but I doubt that Verizon will give their seal of approval on .86 and just send it out. There are a number of noticeable bugs in .86 like the LED notification issue. Verizon has a reputation and probably won't release .86 because of all the bugs.
    I don't think it will be released either, but who knows? I happen to like it, but I know how to tweak my Berry and how to debug and if necersary remove troublesome 3rd Party apps. As for VZW's rep, wasn't it tarnished already by releasing the Storm WAY before it was ready from both a software AND (not sure how to phrase the hardware issue) hardware standpoint? Whatever the next version is will probably be release worthy, althought .75 was close, releasing on .65 was a BIG mistake it was NOT ready for primetime. As for the Hardware, there were/are assembly or quality control issues namely the screen press issues, and the dust issue (not sealed good enough).

And please don't get me wrong I LOVE my Storm, but I am also realistic.
    01-14-09 10:41 AM
    If .86 is the official release its going to be a bloodbath. The media card inserted and vsod errors will be the end for 1/4 of the storm users.
    01-14-09 10:42 AM
    This may be true, but my phone gave me different experiences with the official versus the leaked. The leaked kept resetting, while the official is what I'm running now and is stable.
    01-14-09 10:46 AM
    Very good question, but there is no stronger candidate for official status.
    01-14-09 10:48 AM
    No way .86 will be official. Which is why it will not be released on the 15th.

I think we are looking at the end of January at the earliest at this point.

I would NOT upgrade to .86

I am at .85 and have not had many problems. Went to .86 and went right back to .85 a day later due to issues with .86
    01-14-09 10:53 AM
    As posted earlier, try .86. Get your usb cable and pc and go for it. If you don't like it downgrade.
    It it simple and if you mess up there are plenty of threads here to help you. Its not hacking by
    No means.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD