It has been faultless for me since install (over .284)

Took a day or so for battery to settle but always run smoothly and battery life same as .284 for me.
    This build .342 has fixed most of the buggs on .284.
    After 2-3 batt pulls since installation, battery drain rate dropped from 8.86% to 4.8%
    (my usage of BB is higher than normal). Hope to settle below 4%
    03-26-12 07:14 AM
    Hey guys, planning to do my first ever OS updated, and a leaked one at that :P
    Some questions for you guys. I'd appreciate your answers to help clarify em' !

1 - I've never updated my BB9900 to any previous 7.1 releases. Its still on 7.0 (v7.0.0.261, platform 5.0.0.464) from when I bought it. Do i need to update/install a prior 7.1 earlier release before installing this .342 one? Or just go with the "no base" installation guidelines ?

2 - Hows the battery life ? lol

Thanks in advance guys

Jono
    Go for direct installation with no base.

This is better OS compared to previous releases. Batt Life is good.
    Initially drain rate would be high but after 3-4 battery pulls, it will settle down.
    johniechong likes this.
    03-26-12 07:17 AM
    I'm noticing a fairly significant memory leak with this build. It's the first time I've seen this in the 7.1 series.

After a battery pull, I have about 207 MB free. In a day or less, I'm down to 170 MB. I didn't see this in .267 or .284.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 03-26-12 at 12:16 PM. Reason: oops
    03-26-12 12:15 PM
    yeah this OS sucks with respect to battery life. It drains way quicker.
    03-26-12 12:43 PM
    When you just install this OS battery indeed sucks... I tried to reload the OS twice and both times the battery leak was very high.

Both times, after 2 or 3 battery pulls and 12 to 14 hours..since the install things went back to normal..

My theory is that this OS requires some "settling in". Though other people reported similrar issues in the past, it was ther first time for me.

I recommend you give the OS a couple of days and 3 battery pulls (to be on the safe side) and see what happens..

In my case battery is now a bit better than .267, but this varies very much dependinr on the use you give to the device.

Good luck!
    03-26-12 02:06 PM
    When you just install this OS battery indeed sucks... I tried to reload the OS twice and both times the battery leak was very high.

Both times, after 2 or 3 battery pulls and 12 to 14 hours..since the install things went back to normal..

My theory is that this OS requires some "settling in". Though other people reported similrar issues in the past, it was ther first time for me.

I recommend you give the OS a couple of days and 3 battery pulls (to be on the safe side) and see what happens..

In my case battery is now a bit better than .267, but this varies very much dependinr on the use you give to the device.

Good luck!

We are talking here about MEMORY leak, not related to battery! Giving more time for the OS will not fix it. As I told many times reported this leak is really bad, when compared to .284 or. 267. (Not stable signal, memory leaks, browser takes more CPU than usual)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by estro22; 03-26-12 at 04:04 PM.
    03-26-12 02:25 PM
    There will always be people blaming the OS for all kinds of problems other people dont have.
    03-26-12 02:35 PM
    I'm blown away by this release. I love it. It's the most stable version for me and the battery life has been better than ever before. I'm so happy
    03-26-12 03:29 PM
    We are talking here about MEMORY leak, not related to battery! Giving more time for the OS will not fix it. As I told many times reported this leak is really bad, when compared to .284 or. 267. (Not stable signal, memory leaks, browser takes more CPU than usual)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Scout36 wasn't responding to you. He was responding to broly hence why he quoted broly's post about battery life.
    scouts36 likes this.
    03-26-12 09:37 PM
    After installation of new build, normally batt drain is higher, logically, bcoz people start exploring new features, checking of bugg fixes etc.. And their usage is above normal for 2-3 days.
    So in 3 days batt also settles and usage also comes to normal...
    03-26-12 11:06 PM
    I'm blown away by this release. I love it. It's the most stable version for me and the battery life has been better than ever before. I'm so happy
    So am I. My phone is at 52% and it's 11:08PM, and it was fully charged at 7:05 This morning.
    03-26-12 11:08 PM
    Damnit. For the first time ever, Desktop Manager doesn't detect a release. I've deleted the Vendor.xml files and shrunk with BBH-Tool, like normal. BBSAK isn't working for me either. When I click the "load OS" button it just gives an error popup with no error message. Ugh. Anybody have ideas for alternate tools for installing? Of course my phone is sitting here with Error 507, so I hope to sort this out soon
    03-27-12 12:59 PM
    Damnit. For the first time ever, Desktop Manager doesn't detect a release. I've deleted the Vendor.xml files and shrunk with BBH-Tool, like normal. BBSAK isn't working for me either. When I click the "load OS" button it just gives an error popup with no error message. Ugh. Anybody have ideas for alternate tools for installing? Of course my phone is sitting here with Error 507, so I hope to sort this out soon
    sorry to hear that, you might want to load an official 2xx version and install the 342 over the 2xx.
    03-27-12 02:53 PM
    so far so good, i installed the thing on top of my previous version, used loader to mount it on the BB and perform 3 consecutive battery pulls (is that how is supposed to be?).
    my main corncern has been battery drain ever since i got this phone, i haven't had any problems with anything else and this version so far is showing great promise.

after 18 hours since i last charged it battery shows 44% life remaining i've never experienced that before, so if it remains like that for the next couple of days this version will never leave my BB

thx for the leak guys!
    03-29-12 06:22 PM
    For the people getting this from T-Mobile, this OS installs the "Second vendor.xml file" that usually gets installed whenever you update or install Desktop Manager.

Thanks for the curve ball T-Mobile.
    03-29-12 10:48 PM
    sorry to hear that, you might want to load an official 2xx version and install the 342 over the 2xx.
    i uninstalled OS and DM, then installed DM and OS, deleted vendor.xml and now it is showing... i had the same problem before.
    03-30-12 03:23 AM
    so far so good, i installed the thing on top of my previous version, used loader to mount it on the BB and perform 3 consecutive battery pulls (is that how is supposed to be?).
    my main corncern has been battery drain ever since i got this phone, i haven't had any problems with anything else and this version so far is showing great promise.

after 18 hours since i last charged it battery shows 44% life remaining i've never experienced that before, so if it remains like that for the next couple of days this version will never leave my BB

thx for the leak guys!
    what network are you using? 2G or 3G?
    03-30-12 03:24 AM
    For the people getting this from T-Mobile, this OS installs the "Second vendor.xml file" that usually gets installed whenever you update or install Desktop Manager.

Thanks for the curve ball T-Mobile.
    Olblueyez - what exactly does that mean? Are you simply implying that we need to be careful to delete the hidden 2nd vendor.xml file after installing the .342 version on our PCs? What's the impact if that 2nd vendor.xml file "gets installed"?
    03-31-12 06:01 AM
    Hi guys, I registered only to post this comment and help people having the same issue : Loader doesn't find the OS

There is a second vendor.xml file in C:\users\user_name\appdata\roaming\research in motion\blackberry\loader xml

Simply delete it and loader will see the OS!

03-31-12 07:46 AM
    Olblueyez - what exactly does that mean? Are you simply implying that we need to be careful to delete the hidden 2nd vendor.xml file after installing the .342 version on our PCs? What's the impact if that 2nd vendor.xml file "gets installed"?
    It means nothing.

Most users (on ANY carrier) will find a second vendor file that has to be deleted prior to installing the OS... old news
    03-31-12 07:49 AM
    what network are you using? 2G or 3G?
    4G, Battery life has lost a few "hours of life" though since then.

it's still good, after 16 hrs i have 20% left
    trigo likes this.
    03-31-12 01:35 PM
    4G, Battery life has lost a few "hours of life" though since then.

it's still good, after 16 hrs i have 20% left
    Thanks, that is quite good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-31-12 07:26 PM
    Most of the time the leaks install one vendor.xml on your computer that prevents the loader from matching up your phone with the OS. Thus the only tangible difference between "Leaked" and "Official".

The second vender.xml file is the one that screws everyone up because it only appears when you install Desktop Manager on your computer or when you update Desktop Manager to a newer version. This one is in a different location and its the one that is responsible for gillions of posts that go something like this "I deleted the vendor.xml file but when I run the loader it doesn't recognize the OS" or "I can't get the OS to install and I have reinstalled it 3 times" or "the OS won't load so I reinstalled/updated Desktop Manager and its still not working".

I grabbed .342 from T-Mobile and installed it. Deleted the vendor.xml the OS's typically put on your computer and it wouldn't install. I checked the second location and found a second vendor.xml file. I had not updated Desktop Manager so I thought I would mention it for People having install issues.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (for 32-bit Windows XP/Vista/7)

C:\Documents and Settings\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    Last edited by olblueyez; 04-01-12 at 01:03 AM.
    04-01-12 12:26 AM
    Most of the time the leaks install one vendor.xml on your computer that prevents the loader from matching up your phone with the OS. Thus the only tangible difference between "Leaked" and "Official".
    All OS7/7.1 builds install 2 vendor files, leaked and official. Leaked vendor files are usually just empty shells, hence they sometimes install without the need for deleting them.

The second vender.xml file is the one that screws everyone up because it only appears when you install Desktop Manager on your computer or when you update Desktop Manager to a newer version. This one is in a different location and its the one that is responsible for gillions of posts that go something like this "I deleted the vendor.xml file but when I run the loader it doesn't recognize the OS" or "I can't get the OS to install and I have reinstalled it 3 times" or "the OS won't load so I reinstalled/updated Desktop Manager and its still not working".
    The 2nd vendor file always appears, and it only confuses the inexperienced.

I grabbed .342 from T-Mobile and installed it. Deleted the vendor.xml the OS's typically put on your computer and it wouldn't install. I checked the second location and found a second vendor.xml file. I had not updated Desktop Manager so I thought I would mention it for People having install issues.
    You didn't grab .342 from T-Mobile. There's only this leaked version that's not assigned to any carrier, or a couple of official versions available from EMEA carriers.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (for 32-bit Windows XP/Vista/7)

C:\Documents and Settings\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    C:\Users\*Your Name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    04-01-12 09:05 AM
    Thanks Phil

I think its better to put "user name" where you have "your name".
    04-01-12 11:03 AM
315 ... 10111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD