652 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    yes indeed
    07-24-09 10:32 AM
    thanks great instructions very clear.
    07-24-09 12:53 PM
    It helped me.. Thx a lot
    07-24-09 05:04 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I had to get a new 8330 and I followed these steps and it worked perfectly. My BlackBerry is set up exactly the way it was before except this one is newer!
    07-28-09 08:51 PM
    does this update all the preferences and settings for the 3rd party apps to your new device or just the 3rd party app? and u have to reset all the settings within them?
    07-29-09 07:18 AM
    Thanks Worked Great!!!
    07-29-09 12:45 PM
    so i saved the folder thats my pin and in the folder is my pin number.alx and the rest of the applications that it has backed up but how do i change those files back to .alx to transfer onto my phone at another time?
    07-30-09 04:45 PM
    on XP device u can find your PIN folder here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Local Settings\Temp
    xxx= user name
    and within that folder u will see alx file
    08-02-09 09:42 AM
    so i saved the folder thats my pin and in the folder is my pin number.alx and the rest of the applications that it has backed up but how do i change those files back to .alx to transfer onto my phone at another time?
    just install the alx file ... that points to all the apps within that folder....
    08-02-09 09:45 AM
    [QUOTE=Crucial_Xtreme;511278]Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go:

1)Download & install the newest Desktop Manager Version ...

I used this tut. on DM 5.0 running windows 7 and it does not work with it is there a way to get this to work with it or should I download the 4.7 version i tried with 3 different blackberries and the same result it does its thing and when searching it finds nothing with my pin number i need to get this done is there another way??
    Last edited by studiorat; 08-04-09 at 09:00 PM. Reason: mis information
    08-04-09 08:54 PM
    That is user error my friend ... I find the file on my vista and on my xp device... Am using DM 5.0 as well... I put the file path for xp above n on first post they have file path on vista so u don't even have to search

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 09:00 PM
    I've used this thread on mulitple occasions to spur the memory. Thanks for creating it.
    08-04-09 10:25 PM
    Great Posts!
    Thanks...
    08-04-09 11:02 PM
    Thanks for posting this, it was a great help last night in my upgrade
    08-06-09 06:26 PM
    just for ****s and giggles I just reviewed all of the stuff I had and did the following:

1 cleared all cache and logs from device

2 did a battery pull

3 backed up device

4 removed old 4.5 or whatever desktop manager

5 installed 5.0 desktop manager without roxio media manager

6 downloaded crackmem

7 downloaded most current OS from carier's website

8 backed up third party apps in a neat clean file on my laptop

9 rested easy knowing that in the event of any catastrophic failure I can wipe and reload in under 1/2 hour and have everything the way it was prior to failure.

thanks for helping me add that extra step of third party apps back up.
    08-07-09 12:34 AM
    That is user error my friend ... I find the file on my vista and on my xp device... Am using DM 5.0 as well... I put the file path for xp above n on first post they have file path on vista so u don't even have to search

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    cmon no need to be sarcastic OK I am running the newest version of D/M,
    I have my hidden and system files checked i am following all steps and Nothing I would not post if I was not at my wits end, so I don't appreciate the condescension, I am a noob I admit it but these files do not exist on my computer so I will ask again What else can I try?
    08-07-09 01:17 AM
    Hey studiorat,

do you exit the DM before you check for these files?
    08-07-09 07:08 AM
    cmon no need to be sarcastic OK I am running the newest version of D/M,
    I have my hidden and system files checked i am following all steps and Nothing I would not post if I was not at my wits end, so I don't appreciate the condescension, I am a noob I admit it but these files do not exist on my computer so I will ask again What else can I try?
    what OS are u running ..? XP or Vista?

on XP device u can find your PIN folder here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Local Settings\Temp
    xxx= user name
    and within that folder u will see alx file

vista:
    C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

when u are performing this task .. do u see on the screen that it is backing up your device ... at least we know it saving ...

are u a noob on the PC too or just the BB

Becasue from the RUN command on pc u can place in those strings and it will bring up your folder
    08-07-09 07:38 AM
    ok maybe I'm dense or something, but I'm following all the steps to the letter, I found the folder with my PIN#... but when I open that folder it's missing a bunch of 3rd party apps in there. It only lists about 5.

What I am missing?
    08-07-09 02:52 PM
    I'm thinking about upgrading my OS, has anyone had to restore 3rd party apps from this backup? how well is it at restoring invatation only apps installed OTA?
    08-10-09 10:25 PM
    You need to backup all apps. The easiest way is to use BBSAK to back up and restore.
    08-11-09 08:55 AM
    You need to backup all apps. The easiest way is to use BBSAK to back up and restore.
    I was just coming here to say that!

to backup:
    1. Launch BBsak
    2. Click backup apps....DONE

to restore:
    1. Launch loader.exe or DM to install new OS
    2. when loading modules add Program Files\BBSAK\Backup\backup.alx....DONE!

It doesn't get much easier than that folks.
    08-12-09 08:15 AM
    I tried the OP's method today using DM 5.0 to restore 3rd party apps from an old Tour to a new Tour. It worked flawlessly with no complications. Thanks OP for the advice!
    08-16-09 03:07 PM
    Im doing my first hybrid. I just wiped my BB, and Im shrinking the OS. IF/When I brick my phone-since I have insurance....can I just take it to verizon?
    Do replys come to my email, or do I need to look back here for the answer
    08-16-09 08:01 PM
    Thanks for this post! Came in handy today.
    08-18-09 06:30 PM
652 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD