03-30-12 10:30 AM
652 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    Aren't 3rd party applications backuped when doing normal backup?????
    05-19-09 11:00 AM
    Be careful when doing this. I would go into the folder with your PIN and make all your apps are there. I did this before and half my apps were not there. To test I even did the backup, moved the PIN folder to my desktop then canceled and did another backup and the contents were not the same. Both times it was missing something
    05-20-09 10:28 AM
    OK I have a question...

I've been doing this for the last several months and it's worked perfectly every time! I'm considering purchasing the Garmin GPS App and I was curious as to whether this process will back up the Garmin GPS App and allow it to work when I reinstall it on my device or if by some chance I have to switch devices would it allow me to reinstall on the new device. I know they say it's a one time download and allow you to reinstall on a new device once within the first year or something like that.

Anyone try this with the Garmin GPS app yet?
    05-20-09 10:42 AM
    Be careful when doing this. I would go into the folder with your PIN and make all your apps are there. I did this before and half my apps were not there. To test I even did the backup, moved the PIN folder to my desktop then canceled and did another backup and the contents were not the same. Both times it was missing something
    Thanks for posting this! I double checked and only got 1/2 backed up so glad I wasn't falsely secure.
    I've already lost most of DS's games cause I had free downloads with other programs etc and they don't give you codes so after the wipe those were gone for good. The ones I have left I have codes, though I did lose 2 that were purchased from bplay that the link is no longer valid and they were only good OTA (millionaire 2009 and monopoly). Wish there were a way to really backup the BB properly.
    05-20-09 05:52 PM
    I was also getting the "no apps available for your device" message when trying to add my backup.
    I downgraded DM from 4.7 to 4.5 and it worked right the first try.

How could RIM release broken software like that.

Great writeup.

Now only after wiping could I get my solid red led to go away.......
    05-22-09 03:35 AM
    I was recently getting the same message, so I uninstalled 4.7 and then reinstalled it. It too worked right away. Really surprised me.
    05-23-09 08:01 AM
    Thank you for this post. I use 4.7.0.75 and I have NEVER tried a leaked OS. I have been hesitant to purchase several Third Party Apps because I feared they just would stop working whenever RIM/VZN gets their act together and announces a new OS. What do you think will be the impact of a new OS on your procedure ? Has anybody already discussed this issue as regards 75 versus all the leaked OSs out there ?

Doctor Neutron
    05-23-09 08:14 AM
    When I follow the steps to search for my pin file, Google search pops up instead of windows search and it cant find my pin.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by roberto_145; 05-25-09 at 08:12 PM.
    05-25-09 08:01 PM
    Open "My Computer" and hit F3. This should bring up the Windows Search dialog, and make sure under "Advanced Options" you check "Search Hidden Files" and "Search System Files."
    05-27-09 02:31 PM
    Set the folder "view" settinngs to show hidden files. Most probably it can be found in <current user> local settings - temp.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 03:27 PM
    The other day I had to get a replacement BB from Verizon in the store. The day before I had done an upgrade to a leaked OS so I told them I didn't need them to backup my numbers. I went home and Did a restore from the image on my computer. Problem is I lost all my 3rd party apps. Is there a place they are hidden on my Hard drive that i can pull them from?
    05-27-09 03:31 PM
    HUGE HELP!!!! Saved my A**, thanks!!!
    05-27-09 06:46 PM
    Easier way to sarch in Vista or XP:

1. Click Computer (or My Computer)
    2. Click on the C drive
    3. In the location bar type %tmp% and hit Enter.
    you will be in the temporary directory that Windows is using and then just copy the folder with the same name as your PIN to a safe place (e.g. your desktop)
    The OP should add this to his original message - VERY USEFUL!
    05-31-09 02:04 PM
    Can someone please help me on backing up my third applications. Im getting stock on the pic below and unable to complete the process. Im using lap top, window XP. It goes through "task in process" and downloading my third party app's, but unable to get past the pin/password. the dm not reading it.

Last edited by Roweazie; 05-31-09 at 04:51 PM.
    05-31-09 04:37 PM
    That's the screen you get when DM is done backing up the apps. At that point, you don't touch the cancel button but go out on your hard drive and find the folder with the ALX and COD files. It will be labeled with your PIN. Move that folder and then come back to DM and hit cancel.
    05-31-09 05:35 PM
    That's the screen you get when DM is done backing up the apps. At that point, you don't touch the cancel button but go out on your hard drive and find the folder with the ALX and COD files. It will be labeled with your PIN. Move that folder and then come back to DM and hit cancel.
    I cant find that foler. mypin.cod or mypin.alx. also try searching using file and folder. I also try searching using my pin and no result.
    05-31-09 06:21 PM
    See post 415. If that doesn't show you the folder area, then DM isn't creating it.
    05-31-09 07:21 PM
    great tutorial. worked like a charm on my BOLD. Thanks a lot crucial_xtreme. You rock.
    06-01-09 02:03 AM
    I cant find that foler. mypin.cod or mypin.alx. also try searching using file and folder. I also try searching using my pin and no result.
    It should be in your temp folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Local Settings\Temp

Make sure you have "Show hidden files and folders" on in your folder options for your Windows Explorer.
    06-01-09 04:29 AM
    yeah, it wasnt storing the file. I uninstall/reinstall the DM, resolved.
    06-01-09 05:10 PM
    Right heres my problem and im really hoping someone can help.

On mon i lost my Bold but yesterday got it back as the police found it...it had been wiped as i had a password set on the device. I backed up my stuff a few days before i lost it so didnt really lose anything.

Anyways i i got home and connected it to my DM on the laptop and restored from the back up that i had from last week...anyways all went well but i was under the impression that the backup also backed up my 3rd party apps and settings...anyways seems like it doesnt.

But i had my PIN alx file from my upgrade to 266 OS so thought id use that...so following the restore instructions from this thread...i tried to restore my settings and 3rd party apps but in the app loader...everytime i open it it shows the 266 apps etc and when i go to browse to my PINS alx file and try and load that up...it doesnt bring anything up ie its still the same apps from the OS ie my 3rd party apps do not show up in the app loader...so am kinda stuck here and could do with some help.

So im really hoping that someone from here can help me...as i dont want to spend hrs setting up my Bold the way it used to be before i lost it...so can anyone please please please help here???
    Last edited by Spawn12; 06-05-09 at 03:51 PM.
    06-05-09 03:47 PM
    thanks man
    06-05-09 06:49 PM
    Will doing a 3rd party backup, backup your themes also?
    06-11-09 05:44 PM
    Yes, it will.
    06-12-09 09:56 AM
    Do I save all three?

2 are folders, one ends in CFG. The other I am not sure what it is...
    06-12-09 10:41 AM
652 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD