03-30-12 10:30 AM
652 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    sweet! thanks
    03-23-09 11:28 PM
    I have a mac. Any ideas on how to do this on a mac?
    03-24-09 04:26 PM
    when doing the search, nothing better than the old DOS dir command:
    start menu - > run -> type CMD, press enter. on the black screen, type "cd \"
    then type again " dir /a /s *YOURPIN* "
    and there you go.
    This was the only search method that enabled me to find the files. Thanks.
    03-24-09 06:33 PM
    I'm having trouble finding the folder that the files are backed up into. I've tried your search methods to the letter and I can't find it. Any suggestions???
    03-24-09 10:10 PM
    @the.question: you have to search "hidden files". That is 9/10 where it's going to be. Make sure to check "system files" also, but 9 times out of 10 it's in the "hidden files".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yep, this did it for me. I did not have 'hidden files' selected in the search.
    03-25-09 09:07 AM
    Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go:

1)Download & install the newest Desktop Manager Version HERE

2) Connect BB

3) Open DM

4) Select Switch Device Wizard

5) Select Switch BB Devices

6) Select Next

7) Select USB & then your PIN #

8) Select Next. Enter your Password if required

9) Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected

10) Select Next

11) When it's done backing up leave the screen as is.
    DO NOT select Next or Cancel

12) Search your computer Folders & Files for a folder with your PIN # as the name. DEFINITELY check System Files & Hidden Files as well

13) After you find it, copy it & SAVE it to a easy accessible place

14) Go back to the Switch Device Wizard page that we left alone & cancel it. ALSO, check and make sure the folder IS saved before Canceling or the folder will be LOST

15) You can now wipe the device with JL_Cmder

RESTORATION

1) After you've loaded the OS go back & run the Apploader & Select ADD

2) "Browse" to find the folder we saved with your PIN # and Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.

3) Your 3rd Party Apps should appear in the Apploader screen

4) Select Finish to load Apps to device

5) Now you may restore other data from a previous backup.

***UPDATE FOR DM 4.7***

1) Plug in device>Open DM>Device Switch Wizard

2) DSW>BlackBerry devices

3) Make sure ONLY 3rd Party Applications is checked>Select Next

4) DM will back up 3rd party apps, when finished DO NOT select Next or Cancel!!!

5) Search your computer Files & Folders and DEFINITELY make sure to search HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS for a folder with the same name as your PIN and a .alx file.

6) Move both the folder and .alx file to an easy a
    accessible place you remember.

7) Go back to the DM and cancel the process.

PIN Folder- Search Method for VISTA Users

1) Click Start Circle

2) Click on Help & Support

3) Enter "Search Folder"

4) Click on "Find a file or folder"

5) Click on "To find a file or folder using the Search folder"

6) Click on "Click to open search"

7) Click on the expand arrow next to "Advanced Search"

8) Click on "Location" and use Local Disk C: (usually!)

9) Enter the PIN of your BB under "Name"

10) Make sure the box is checked next to "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files"

If you do not want to follow those instructions you may take this path also:

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

Thanks to jfksabal for the Vista search process.

RESTORE PROCESS

1) Plug in device>Open Desktop Manager

2) Select Apploader>Add/Remove Applications

3) Select Add

4) Browse to Folder named your PIN #

5) Select the .alx file and Select Open>Select Next

This Tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this tutorial anywhere without my permission. You may however, post links. Thank you very much and I hope this helps atleast one person.
    What is I am moving the 3rd party apps to a new device (replacement Storm in this case?) I have the .alx file saved, but obviously the PIN is different...what can I do to port the 3rd party apps to my new Storm (new PIN)?

Thanks!
    03-26-09 12:08 PM
    I dont see that this was mentioned by if you look in the My Documents folder there is a loaderbackup.ipd file that will restore all your databases as well.
    03-26-09 12:14 PM
    Answer in post a little back. The following worked for me:

So I was having the same problem with a storm i just got. I also have read of many people finding the .alx file and the seperate folder but not the .alx inside the folder. I wanted to do a wipe after doing many beta updates so i backed up, wiped, and reloaded. I followed the instructions exactly as stated and still got the same error when I went to restore my apps. After reading this thread and another one with similar problems I decided to take the .alx file and move it into the folder. Then I moved the folder from where I put it into where crucial had recommended to others (My Documents). Ran DM and VOILA IT WORKS.

[I had 2 .alx files, 1 inside and 1 outside. I copied the outside one into the folder and moved the folder into My Documents. And it did work.]
    My app b/u folder had the .alx file plus a lot of files for the 3rd=party apps in it. I moved the entire folder to my edesktop before canceling the transfer procedure. Apploader worked like a charm once I browsed to this folder and loaded the .alx, which added my 3rd-party apps to the checklist to install. No need to move any .alx files--just save the ENTIRE folder from the 'switch device' 3rd-party backup procedure.
    03-26-09 02:19 PM
    I can't seem to back up 3rd party Apps. My Desk top manager doesn't even have a box for "3rd party apps." It is the most recent.

I wiped my Storm months ago to upgrade and now I can't even view Word, PDF, etc... Does anyone know where to get the Docs2go back on my storm??

Thanks
    03-28-09 09:13 PM
    I have backed up 3rd party apps to my desktop. When I go to app loader hit browse, find folder it does not load.
    Anyone have this problem?
    03-29-09 01:27 PM
    I'm having trouble finding the folder that the files are backed up into. I've tried your search methods to the letter and I can't find it. Any suggestions???
    start--run---type: %temp%

then look for a folder name with your pin.
    03-29-09 06:40 PM
    Has anyone had an issue where not all 3rd party apps are backed up? I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I am going exactly by directions and it seems like every time I back up the 3rd party apps, DM picks and chooses what it wants to back up and what it doesn't. Just yesterday, I did 2 back ups, and the first one was like 6kb alx file, but the second time only 3kb! Why is that?
    03-30-09 02:02 PM
    i tried this with the tutorial and it did not work and i cant get my bb to do anything at all i keep getting fatal error mistakees

please hellllllp
    03-31-09 10:28 PM
    Thanks for the great info! Worked exactly as you described!!
    04-01-09 03:32 PM
    Gah! I wish I had seen this before I lost all my stuff
    04-01-09 09:18 PM
    this worked to the T. Well written! Thank U.
    04-02-09 12:15 PM
    I'm using DM 4.7 and when I go to backup my apps, it always tells me that a fatal error occurred with the App Loader. I've tried uninstall/reinstall DM and still have this problem.

Need help...
    04-04-09 07:02 PM
    I followed this to a T on two differnet computers with Vista and XP and I can't find where the files were downloaded to for either of them! Can someone shed some light on this please??? What is the folder it downloads it to in XP??? Please help!!!
    04-05-09 11:30 AM
    start--run---type: %temp%

then look for a folder name with your pin.
    now that worked!!! Thank you!!! Now I can get a few paid apps!
    04-05-09 11:43 AM
    2) DSW>BlackBerry devices

i am lost on my 4.7 at this point it has two options on the screen of the DM
    1. switch blackberry devices
    2. switch from another device to a blackberry device

and i dont see a place to make sure only 3rd party is checked
    04-05-09 03:45 PM
    It's on the right...there are like 4 check boxes...
    04-05-09 07:45 PM
    is there a way to store themes on your sd card
    04-05-09 09:37 PM
    no..........
    04-05-09 10:40 PM
    Desktop manager 4.3 with vista and it backed up to

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\your_bl ackbe rry_pin
    Thanks for posting where you found it. I also use Vista and the search function didn't find the folder after an hour of searching (and I have a fast computer).

And thank you to CX for his invaluable guide!
    04-06-09 10:09 AM
    Can the backup apps be loaded to another BB?
    04-08-09 07:04 PM
652 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD