This doesn't seem to work with DM 4.6 as the file xxxxxx.alx (where x is your PIN) is not there in the folder
    11-02-08 12:46 PM
    Like many here, while using this "Device Switch Wizard" method to backup 3rd party applications, I was having problems with the DM not backing up certain applications. So I deleted the DM (including settings) and re-installed it. Then, it was able to back up *all* 3rd party applications, both OTA and DM-installed!

So, I suspect there is a "setting" somewhere with a list of applications that the DM thinks have already been backed up and should be ignored. If we could only figure out how to clear that list ...
    11-04-08 05:41 PM
    Like many here, while using this "Device Switch Wizard" method to backup 3rd party applications, I was having problems with the DM not backing up certain applications. So I deleted the DM (including settings) and re-installed it. Then, it was able to back up *all* 3rd party applications, both OTA and DM-installed!

So, I suspect there is a "setting" somewhere with a list of applications that the DM thinks have already been backed up and should be ignored. If we could only figure out how to clear that list ...
    #9: Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected
    11-04-08 06:23 PM
    #9: Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected
    I *was* following the procedure, but it still was not recognizing some 3rd party applications. There is something else buried in a file somewhere, because when I did a clean install, it worked again.

Of course the best solution is for RIM to fix their messed up DM software. The "Backup and Restore" applet gives you the option to "Backup all device application data." This is easily confused with "Backup all device applications and associated data," which we *should* have the option to do, and which has caused me (and others) to lose our OTA applications.
    11-04-08 07:11 PM
    I *was* following the procedure, but it still was not recognizing some 3rd party applications. There is something else buried in a file somewhere, because when I did a clean install, it worked again.

Of course the best solution is for RIM to fix their messed up DM software. The "Backup and Restore" applet gives you the option to "Backup all device application data." This is easily confused with "Backup all device applications and associated data," which we *should* have the option to do, and which has caused me (and others) to lose our OTA applications.
    The DM does backup device application. It's only 3rd party applications that sometime get lost in the upgrade/downgrade process. Also, I've never had a problem with the DM only backing up certain 3rd party applications and not all of them. And I work with BlackBerry's everyday. Anyways, I'm just glad you got your backed up.
    11-04-08 07:40 PM
    i did the 3rd party application back up 2nite for the 1st time ever & for some reason, it contained applications that i no longer had on my phone (like diamond detective.. that game was deleted months ago). I made sure that the only option checked/"x"ed was 3rd party applications..

Any suggestions? because there are applications such as new games and my alarm pro that weren't "backed up" with this process
    11-09-08 05:03 PM
    i did the 3rd party application back up 2nite for the 1st time ever & for some reason, it contained applications that i no longer had on my phone (like diamond detective.. that game was deleted months ago). I made sure that the only option checked/"x"ed was 3rd party applications..

Any suggestions? because there are applications such as new games and my alarm pro that weren't "backed up" with this process
    Is it possible your old backup directory from when you had that game is still there? Mine doesn't ever go away after a backup, I have to manually find and delete it (or empty out the contents from the old backups) before I do a new one. I had a heck of a time figuring out why old stuff would always show up in my backups even though the BB said they weren't installed, until I went back and did a post-backup search and saw the PIN folder still there.
    11-10-08 06:22 AM
    Is it possible your old backup directory from when you had that game is still there? Mine doesn't ever go away after a backup, I have to manually find and delete it (or empty out the contents from the old backups) before I do a new one. I had a heck of a time figuring out why old stuff would always show up in my backups even though the BB said they weren't installed, until I went back and did a post-backup search and saw the PIN folder still there.
    So I should delete all back up's?? As in deleted all "back up files" & delete the pin file that I saved the other night, then start over?
    11-10-08 07:48 PM
    So I should delete all back up's?? As in deleted all "back up files" & delete the pin file that I saved the other night, then start over?
    I don't think you need to delete them all, unless you're trying to save the new folder to the same place as the old. Let me clarify what I was saying: when you do a backup, the system creates a PIN-named folder where the backed-up files reside. The instructions tell you to move or copy that folder to someplace safe, and assume if you just copy it the created folder itself will be deleted by the system when you cancel the migration task. My point is that automatic deletion doesn't always happen; in my case it never happens.

So, let's say you back up your apps and copy the folder to a safe location. The folder it created is still there in the original location. Now you delete a couple of apps you don't use anymore, then some time after that you do a new backup. When you search for the PIN-named folder the backup creates, and it was already there from last time, those old files will still be in there! That includes the files from the apps you've since deleted. The only way to make sure you are getting a fresh backup, that has only the files you are currently backing up, is to delete the original folder that's created (not the copy you've made for safe-keeping), or at least empty the contents.

I think maybe the safest way to keep from forgetting to do that would be to move the folder to the safe place, rather than copy it, so the original is always gone after you're done.

Does that make any sense?
    11-11-08 06:53 AM
    I may have messed up and need direction! I followed the steps to installing v4.5 however when I backed up the 3rd party apps I forgot to "wipe" before going on to the install of v4.5. Will this cause errors? What do I need to to do now?

Thanks Ryan
    11-12-08 11:25 PM
    Thank you for this!!!!
    11-13-08 03:33 AM
    this is the 3rd time i've updated my os (currently on 185) and each and every time i cannot reload my 3rd party apps from dm and i have to manually reinstall them.

i've followed the instructions exactly on how to backup and restore 3rd party apps, and it never seems to work.

i don't know what to do.
    11-13-08 02:25 PM
    Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go:

1)Download & install the newest Desktop Manager Version

2) Connect BB

3) Open DM

4) Select Switch Device Wizard

5) Select Switch BB Devices

6) Select Next

7) Select USB & then your PIN #

8) Select Next. Enter your Password if required

9) Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected

10) Select Next

11) When it's done backing up leave the screen as is.
    DO NOT select Next or Cancel

12) Search your computer Folders & Files for a folder with your PIN # as the name. DEFINITELY check System Files & Hidden Files as well

13) After you find it, copy it & SAVE it to a easy accessible place

14) Go back to the Switch Device Wizard page that we left alone & cancel it. ALSO, check and make sure the folder IS saved before Canceling or the folder will be LOST

15) You can now wipe the device with

RESTORATION

1) After you've loaded the OS go back & run the Apploader & Select ADD

2) "Browse" to find the folder we saved with your PIN # and Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.

3) Your 3rd Party Apps should appear in the Apploader screen

4) Select Finish to load Apps to device

5) Now you may restore other data from a previous backup.

**NOTE**
    Some of the time 3rd Party Apps can be the cause for your problems and might be the reason behind you needing to wipe your device. If you are having problems, this MAY not be the wisest thing for you to do. However, if that's not the case, this tutorial is for you.

** EDIT** It has come to my attention that with Desktop Manager 4.5, it seems that some Applications MAY not back up. I myself, have not had this problem but close friends have and it is worth mentioning. It seems that the apps that get left behind on DM 4.5 are not getting left behind on DM 4.2. You may use which ever DM that suites your fancy.

This Tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this tutorial anywhere without my permission. You may however, post links. Thank you very much and I hope this helps atleast one person.
    I've got Desktop Manager 4.6, and the user interface is different from what you wrote above. I don't want to screw up my backup, so I'm trying to figure out how to properly do the backup based on 4.6.
    11-14-08 05:34 PM
    this is the 3rd time i've updated my os (currently on 185) and each and every time i cannot reload my 3rd party apps from dm and i have to manually reinstall them.

i've followed the instructions exactly on how to backup and restore 3rd party apps, and it never seems to work.

i don't know what to do.
    I just wiped my BlackBerry Bold but did this first... when I click the .ALX it searches for a second and then says "No applications were found for your device" -- that sucks!!!

I'm using DM 4.6, this has never happened before.
    11-15-08 02:47 PM
    do i have to dl both of the links on the JL_CMDER website?

download the JL_Cmder v1.9.0

download the JL_Cmder v1.9.0 installer
    11-16-08 04:22 PM
    Chinkster, just the installer.
    It puts a shortcut on desktop
    Then you have to navigate with keyboard #s of your PC

FYI I get the same message after I wipe my Bold.
    No apps found for your device.
    I was using Desktop Manager 4.7
    I've uninstalled it completely (revo uninstaller) and will retry with 4.6 because the installer 4.7 kind of hung up on install.
    Last edited by emagin; 11-19-08 at 04:23 PM.
    11-18-08 09:12 PM
    I ran this last night and when I searched for my PIN folder, I found multiple folders with just my PIN#. I found the correct one.

My question--
    While trying to determine the correct folder to move and save, I opened the folders and browsed the files. I noticed that there were lots of small (8kb or so) files from launchers that I had installed and then deleted from my berry. Are these using up my memory and how can I get rid of them?
    11-20-08 06:09 AM
    While trying to determine the correct folder to move and save, I opened the folders and browsed the files. I noticed that there were lots of small (8kb or so) files from launchers that I had installed and then deleted from my berry. Are these using up my memory and how can I get rid of them?
    Were those launchers on your BB at some time when you were doing a past backup? If so, they probably just didn't get cleared out when you were done. On my system the supposedly temporary PIN folder never gets deleted when I cancel out of the migrate operation, so if I don't go back and clear it out by hand all those old files are still there next time I do a backup.
    11-20-08 06:48 AM
    Were those launchers on your BB at some time when you were doing a past backup? If so, they probably just didn't get cleared out when you were done. On my system the supposedly temporary PIN folder never gets deleted when I cancel out of the migrate operation, so if I don't go back and clear it out by hand all those old files are still there next time I do a backup.
    Yesterday was the first time I had used this backup method. And yes they were old launchers. As long as their not using up memory, I'm OK.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 07:13 AM
    Just upgraded my BOLD from .165 to .185
    When using DM4.7 and trying to add my 3rd party apps back onto my BOLD I get "No additional applications designed for your device were found" ??? and will not load any of my 3rd party apps?

am I SOL ?
    11-21-08 08:54 PM
    I just wiped my BlackBerry Bold but did this first... when I click the .ALX it searches for a second and then says "No applications were found for your device" -- that sucks!!!

I'm using DM 4.6, this has never happened before.
    Samething just happened to me, I'm pissed
    11-21-08 08:57 PM
    Just wanted to say thanks for the writeup
    11-22-08 12:58 AM
    I couldn't figure out why this didn't work despite following these instructions for backing up 3rd party software. When it came time to restore the yourpin.alx file, the message was "Error, no new applications available" or sthg like that. It turns out that this "yourpin.alx" file generated by following the instructions above was a "read only" file. This attribute needed to be unchecked before it the apps could be successfully installed.
    11-25-08 10:38 AM
    see my response below.
    11-25-08 10:39 AM
    I have a Thanksgiving Theme i would like to keep for next year, but remove it from my Pearl come Friday, is this how I would save it to my PC? or is ther an easier way?

Thank you and Hppy Thanksgiving!!!
    11-25-08 01:48 PM
652 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD