All you need as is stated in the instructions is the .alx file. That's all. So just move that file to my documents then browse in DM to it and it will load

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 12:23 PM
    i moved the .alx file to my documents; i then browsed for it through dm and selected it; i got the same error message: "no additional applications designed for your device were found."

i don't know what else to do.
    10-05-08 04:20 PM
    i moved the .alx file to my documents; i then browsed for it through dm and selected it; i got the same error message: "no additional applications designed for your device were found."

i don't know what else to do.
    Ok. Forget what you've done up to this point and just start again. You are missing something. You now know wheree to find and place the .alx file. So just try the entire process again and make sure to follow the instructions again.
    10-05-08 04:52 PM
    Ok. Forget what you've done up to this point and just start again. You are missing something. You now know wheree to find and place the .alx file. So just try the entire process again and make sure to follow the instructions again.
    okay, before i start again, let me ask a few questions:
    1. using dm 4.6, when i run the switch device wizard and follow the steps, i'm only selecting usb & my pin on the "current device" side and leaving the "new device" info blank?

2. when i search for the mypin# folder, should there be more than one folder named with mypin#? and should the mypin#.alx file be in one of those folders or located by itself?

3. the instructions say copy & save it to an accessible place (my documents); is "copy & paste" or "move to" the same thing? and how do i make sure it's saved before i cancel dm?

4. the .alx file i found on my pc was only 9kb in size. shouldn't it be larger if it contains all my 3rd party apps?

sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time with a bb, let alone upgrading the os.
    10-05-08 05:10 PM
    okay, before i start again, let me ask a few questions:
    1. using dm 4.6, when i run the switch device wizard and follow the steps, i'm only selecting usb & my pin on the "current device" side and leaving the "new device" info blank?Correct, you only use one side.

2. when i search for the mypin# folder, should there be more than one folder named with mypin#? and should the mypin#.alx file be in one of those folders or located by itself?The .alx file is by itself. You're not looking for folders, only for the .alx file.

3. the instructions say copy & save it to an accessible place (my documents); is "copy & paste" or "move to" the same thing? and how do i make sure it's saved before i cancel dm? It's the folder with your PIN # as the name. right click, copy, and paste into "My documents". Then cancel the DM.

4. the .alx file i found on my pc was only 9kb in size. shouldn't it be larger if it contains all my 3rd party apps?
    That's fine, they're usually small.
    sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time with a bb, let alone upgrading the os.
    No problem with all the questions. Just follow the instructions exactly and you'll be fine. Post back and let me know how it goes. Also, I don't really like DM 4.6, but it should be alright.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 10-05-08 at 07:03 PM.
    10-05-08 05:15 PM
    Having read through all of this I have a question for akhoury

Are you copying and pasting (saving) just the PIN#.alx file
    or the entire PIN.alx folder.

If you only copy that file without the contents of the folder then
    DM will have nothing to reference and therefore nothing to
    install.
    10-05-08 06:56 PM

install.
    Good catch AG. I haven't done this in a while, and i know the post above yours I just said the .alx file. While in the instructions I said the Folder. My bad.

Edit: yeah, I just backed them up, and it's the Folder, like it says in the instructions. Sorry about 2 posts ago, it's been a while.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 10-05-08 at 07:03 PM.
    10-05-08 06:59 PM

install.
    when i search for the mypin# folder, it finds more than one folder with my pin# as the name; one of them is named mypin#.cfg. it also finds the mypin#.alx file separately, not listed in any of the folders. after it's done searching, i open each and every folder and the mypin#.alx file is not listed in any of them; it's listed in the search results separately.

anyway, i then highlighted all the search results, the mypin# folders and mypin#.alx file, and then copied and pasted them to my documents. what i did notice when i did that is that a pop up window appeared telling me that a file/folder with the same name existed and do i want to overwrite it, however i didn't see any such file/folder listed in my documents. i chose yes. i then browsed for the mypin#.alx file through dm and when i chose it to upload, i received the error message.

what i also noticed is after that, i searched for .alx files of my 3rd party apps on my pc which i had previously installed prior to the os upgrade. they were found in c>program files in their respective folders. when i chose those .alx files to upload through dm, i also got the same error message. so at this point, it's not recognizing any .alx files at all, i think.
    Last edited by akhoury; 10-06-08 at 06:46 AM.
    10-06-08 06:43 AM
    BillMestro/Crucial Xtreme,

I'm in the same position you were in, what hidden files did you find your PIN in? I have all my hidden files showing and have yet to find it.
    10-06-08 07:08 AM
    BillMestro/Crucial Xtreme,

I'm in the same position you were in, what hidden files did you find your PIN in? I have all my hidden files showing and have yet to find it.
    If you have XP, do a search for all files and folder, but select advanced search and select hidden files and folders. You are searching in the C: drive.
    10-06-08 07:11 AM
    thank you
    10-06-08 07:28 AM
    could it be possible that the trouble i'm having is because of dm v4.6? i'm reading elsewhere that not too many people are fond of this version.
    10-06-08 08:58 AM
    im having the same problem as akhoury. I followed the directions to the letter and I get the same error message as he does.
    10-07-08 08:25 PM
    I've tried 3 different versions of the DM and still get the same message.
    10-08-08 08:29 PM
    I've tried 3 different versions of the DM and still get the same message.
    Try deleting all the PIN# folders and PIN#.alx files on your computer.
    Restart the PC and reboot the phone and start from the beginning.
    10-08-08 08:46 PM
    ? what is the advantage of upgrading my OS ?
    10-11-08 11:01 AM
    Would be a lot easier with some Print Screens.

I have DM 4.2 and cannot follow yr instructions.
    Then I thought 4.2 may be outdated so I tried to dl 4.5 but for some reason cannot open DM 4.5.exe file
    Do I really need DM 4.5 for upgrading my OS to 4.5 and back up 3rd party apps or can I do all that with original provided DM 4.2 release 22?

Questions, questions, questions...
    10-16-08 10:22 AM
    Ok seemed like the new downloaded OS 4.5 that I am installing now is automaticly backing up and restoring my 3rd party apps .

That answers then also someone else's q on 1st page of this thread.

*fingers crossed*
    10-16-08 10:41 AM
    Ok seemed like the new downloaded OS 4.5 that I am installing now is automaticly backing up and restoring my 3rd party apps .

That answers then also someone else's q on 1st page of this thread.

*fingers crossed*
    The DM does back up 3rd party applications. But if something goes wrong, you will lose them. Which is why backing them up separate is a good idea.
    10-16-08 10:44 AM
    Yes, but did you see my attachment?

*currently backing up device data*

&

*fingers crossed more than ever*

Another attachment, printscreen of the app loader with clearly 3rd party apps!
    Last edited by samsams; 10-16-08 at 11:07 AM.
    10-16-08 10:58 AM
    Yes, but did you see my attachment?

*currently backing up device data*

&

*fingers crossed more than ever*

Another attachment, printscreen of the app loader with clearly 3rd party apps!
    I guess you did not read what I wrote. I said that yes the DM does back up 3rd party apps when upgrading. BUT, if something happens during the installation you will lose them. There is a reason that this How-To exists. Ans thats because the DM doesn't always do a good job backing them up, and if for some reason you brick or get an error during the upgrade you lose all the information.
    10-16-08 11:11 AM
    I guess you did not read what I wrote. I said that yes the DM does back up 3rd party apps when upgrading. BUT, if something happens during the installation you will lose them. There is a reason that this How-To exists. Ans thats because the DM doesn't always do a good job backing them up, and if for some reason you brick or get an error during the upgrade you lose all the information.
    Scuse me for not understanding, hey I'm Dutch

And THX for reassuring me...
    So in worst case I have to reinstall all 20 apps .
    For what about adressbook etc I am safe I am?
    10-16-08 11:20 AM
    Do you need to wipe your handheld before installing OS 4.5 ? Sounds scary. Don't want my Blackberry to go BOOM!
    10-30-08 12:21 PM
    Do you need to wipe your handheld before installing OS 4.5 ? Sounds scary. Don't want my Blackberry to go BOOM!
    For what it's worth, I didn't wipe mine first. Installed over the old one and it went perfectly. Used DM 4.6 and followed the instructions in the sticky 83xx forum's thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-8320-a-75755/
    10-30-08 12:26 PM
    I don't know whether this will help anybody, but it caused me some trouble today...

On my system (Windows XP MCE laptop, all SP installed), the pin# folder in temp doesn't go away after you're done doing the backup. Today I did a backup and was displeased to see what looked like vestiges of viigo com files in there, even though I had uninstalled it. Everything I tried failed to find the files on my Berry so I could delete them, but there they were in the backup--or so I thought. I noticed the dates on those files were old, and that's when I realized they were left over from the very first backup I'd tried a couple of days ago. I deleted it and re-did the backup, and of course the viigo files weren't there. I checked again, and the pin# folder was still there after I shut down everything--it's probably there now even as I type this.

If you're doing a new backup and you've ever done one before, I'd do a search first and make sure the old folder isn't still there--and if it is, either delete or empty it.
    10-30-08 03:06 PM
652 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD