It solved after upgrade of DM to 6.0.0.47.
    11-24-10 09:31 PM
    Is there a simple way of just backing up the 3rd party apps as part of the routine data backups, especially with the new Desktop Manager 6.0?

I have a 9530 with VZW OS 5.0...328
    Last edited by SPeeDy RI; 12-01-10 at 12:59 PM.
    12-01-10 12:41 PM
    Hey all, I have been backing up my 3rd party apps like this for awhile now, but I have a question about the process. Everyone says to make sure that you select ONLY back up 3rd party apps. If I am not actually switching devices, can I do a full backup of everything if I don't select 3rd party apps ONLY? I would like to be able to do a full backup that I could restore everything from in one restore operation, but I wanted to make sure this would work first.
    thank!
    12-16-10 02:49 PM
    Hey all, I have been backing up my 3rd party apps like this for awhile now, but I have a question about the process. Everyone says to make sure that you select ONLY back up 3rd party apps. If I am not actually switching devices, can I do a full backup of everything if I don't select 3rd party apps ONLY? I would like to be able to do a full backup that I could restore everything from in one restore operation, but I wanted to make sure this would work first.
    thank!
    I was wondering about that too It takes very little time for me to backup everything. If time is the only reason to uncheck data, it seems I might as well keep it checked, and do a restore in one instead of two parts? (not including the OS which I guess has to be restored first anyway.) thanks too
    12-16-10 04:52 PM
    This is the first time I have ever tried backing up 3rd party apps so please forgive me if this is a dumb question

I followed all the instructions and when I went to search for the file with my Pin# on it, several different folders showed up as well as some files. Most of the folders say file folder but the date it was created was back in August(and as I said this is the first time I've tried to do this)? I also have an ALX file that was created today but it is only 30KB which doesn't seem big enough for all my 3rd party apps.

Could someone please explain what EXACTLY the folder will look like and contain?
    (I tried opening one of the folders and it just said Device Cache?)
    12-27-10 02:44 PM
    This is the first time I have ever tried backing up 3rd party apps so please forgive me if this is a dumb question

I followed all the instructions and when I went to search for the file with my Pin# on it, several different folders showed up as well as some files. Most of the folders say file folder but the date it was created was back in August(and as I said this is the first time I've tried to do this)? I also have an ALX file that was created today but it is only 30KB which doesn't seem big enough for all my 3rd party apps.

Could someone please explain what EXACTLY the folder will look like and contain?
    (I tried opening one of the folders and it just said Device Cache?)
    I'm definitely no expert in general but I do have a 9700 too and it took me a while to find this and now I know it well on my system so I will try to help

It depends what OS you're using, but in any case before you cancel the switch device operation and disconnect your phone, go to the temp folder:

for Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Temp

for Windows Vista or 7: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp

for others, I don't know

At this point copy the folder to somewhere else, cancel and disconnect.

If you have the right folder it will be named after your PIN and will contain names of your third party apps with .cod extensions plus a file with your PIN and a .alx extension.

At least that's how it's working for me...

I hope that helps!
    12-27-10 03:30 PM
    This post is wonderful. Great tutorial. I have greatly benefitted. Thanx mannnnn!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 08:52 AM
    If you do a security wipe and you lose your game data, restore "RMS Databases" to get it back. Great way to get your high scores back!
    01-19-11 06:15 AM
    I used to use Windows Mobile platform. There were many things I didn't like about it and eventually I abandoned that ship. However, one thing I did like is that there were applications that would TOTALLY back up one's smartphone (OS, factory apps, third-party apps, data, everything!). All in one pass and without having to sort of trick an app and find buried or hidden folders and such. This kind of software was very reliable, I had a high degree of confidence in it, and it created a single file which, in total, could then later be restored - similar to creating a hard drive "image" back up.

I found this to be an incredibly useful tool. I could simply back up and restore. I could even back up to and restore from the Window phone's SD memory card. Or I could archive these backups to my computer(s).

Is there a BlackBerry analog to this? My interest isn't in migrating to a new device, or in creating a backup that I can individually access particular apps or data files - I only need a single "image" style file. This would complement use of the regular BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Also - I'm comfortable with technical things, but for some uses, I simply want a simple solution rather than something with deep technical options.
    01-31-11 09:28 AM
    I used to use Windows Mobile platform. There were many things I didn't like about it and eventually I abandoned that ship. However, one thing I did like is that there were applications that would TOTALLY back up one's smartphone (OS, factory apps, third-party apps, data, everything!). All in one pass and without having to sort of trick an app and find buried or hidden folders and such. This kind of software was very reliable, I had a high degree of confidence in it, and it created a single file which, in total, could then later be restored - similar to creating a hard drive "image" back up.

I found this to be an incredibly useful tool. I could simply back up and restore. I could even back up to and restore from the Window phone's SD memory card. Or I could archive these backups to my computer(s).

Is there a BlackBerry analog to this? My interest isn't in migrating to a new device, or in creating a backup that I can individually access particular apps or data files - I only need a single "image" style file. This would complement use of the regular BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Also - I'm comfortable with technical things, but for some uses, I simply want a simple solution rather than something with deep technical options.
    Yes there is such a program. You cant get it here.

BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    01-31-11 11:51 AM
    Yes, thanks, I've looked into bbsak before, actually; - almost purchased it (and still may). It does do a variety of useful things from the modest amount I've read about it.

However, does it do the kind of all-at-once, single backup of all code and data on the phone? From looking at their site, it seems to divide features into categories, such as wiping or installing an OS, or backing up or restoring one's third-party apps, and other utilities.

I'm interested in a single-pass backup of everything (OS, data, all apps, registration code, etc. into an "image" of the phone) at one pass (not breaking into install OS, then restore apps, then restore registration codes). The previously mentioned Windows Mobile backup software did. Does bbsak do this without qualification? THAT would be of interest!
    01-31-11 12:56 PM
    Yes, thanks, I've looked into bbsak before, actually; - almost purchased it (and still may). It does do a variety of useful things from the modest amount I've read about it.

However, does it do the kind of all-at-once, single backup of all code and data on the phone? From looking at their site, it seems to divide features into categories, such as wiping or installing an OS, or backing up or restoring one's third-party apps, and other utilities.

I'm interested in a single-pass backup of everything (OS, data, all apps, registration code, etc. into an "image" of the phone) at one pass (not breaking into install OS, then restore apps, then restore registration codes). The previously mentioned Windows Mobile backup software did. Does bbsak do this without qualification? THAT would be of interest!
    Have you try
    BBSAKv1.7_Installer.msi ???
    (download and instal)
    I can't post links and pictures

1. connect BB to PC
    2. run BBSAK.exe
    3. click - Backup/Restore
    4. click - Backup Apps
    5. When done Go to C:\Program Files\BBSAK\Backup

I prepared small tutorial but can not use it
    You can see post [Downgrade Blackberry App World?] in Native Apps for link and foto
    Last edited by Foxmark; 02-14-11 at 11:26 PM.
    02-14-11 11:21 PM
    I'd just like to know if the basic backup of 3rd party apps procedure has changed at all with the new Desktop Manager 6. If it's already been posted in this thread, I'm afraid I missed it.
    03-13-11 02:57 PM
    I'd just like to know if the basic backup of 3rd party apps procedure has changed at all with the new Desktop Manager 6. If it's already been posted in this thread, I'm afraid I missed it.
    You mean this one:

BlackBerry 101: Backing up 3rd party applications on your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    Moon_Juice and Dharma1 like this.
    03-13-11 04:16 PM
    That's the one. Thanks!
    03-13-11 04:54 PM
    thanks for this. and also wanted to know if how i can restore my apps with its complete data? i restored my apps using this method but the data on those apps were gone...
    07-19-11 01:26 AM
    My apologies if this was addressed earlier.

I have successfully used this backup and reinstall, a couple times when my Bold needed to start over, and then when I got my Torch. It worked great and I thank y'all SO much!!!

My question now is, can I reinstall just one third party app that was working great but isn't now? If it matters, I'm speaking of the DriveSafe.ly gift that was great for a week and despite what feels like 100 deletions, battery pulls, memory cleaners, reinstallations, changes in settings, and some rather odd procedures for customer support, the app became first not fun and now quite random. Maybe I should just wait for the next update but I loved the app when it was useful.

I think I could import it from the backup into the DSM app manager? but if I'm not mistaken there's a bug in there, it keeps wanting to reinstall OS6 Core, and downgrade some other things, and I don't want to come out more of a mess than i went in.

Now that I'm typing it "out loud" I guess it's really no big deal I was just wondering if I could possibly drop the corresponding .cod file into some magical folder in my device and have it the app work right again.

Yeah, I'm guessing not. It's okay. Thank you anyway.
    10-30-11 09:04 AM
    My apologies if this was addressed earlier.

I have successfully used this backup and reinstall, a couple times when my Bold needed to start over, and then when I got my Torch. It worked great and I thank y'all SO much!!!

My question now is, can I reinstall just one third party app that was working great but isn't now? If it matters, I'm speaking of the DriveSafe.ly gift that was great for a week and despite what feels like 100 deletions, battery pulls, memory cleaners, reinstallations, changes in settings, and some rather odd procedures for customer support, the app became first not fun and now quite random. Maybe I should just wait for the next update but I loved the app when it was useful.

I think I could import it from the backup into the DSM app manager? but if I'm not mistaken there's a bug in there, it keeps wanting to reinstall OS6 Core, and downgrade some other things, and I don't want to come out more of a mess than i went in.

Now that I'm typing it "out loud" I guess it's really no big deal I was just wondering if I could possibly drop the corresponding .cod file into some magical folder in my device and have it the app work right again.

Yeah, I'm guessing not. It's okay. Thank you anyway.
    When BBDM makes the backup, it creates a <your PIN>.alx file. It you open this file with BBDM, it will try to load all of your backed-up apps.

What I have done successfully was to edit (with Notepad) the <your PIN>.alx file to remove all of the apps except the one that I wanted loaded (being careful to preserve the <tag></tag> XML structure) and saved it as <my app name>.alx.
    Then, I opened <my app name>.alx in BBDM, and it correctly loaded the app.

Alternatively, you could probably just drop the .cod file(s) in with BBSAK. In this case, I still recommend that you take a look in <your PIN>.alx to verify which .cod files need to be loaded for your app.
    mrskittens likes this.
    10-30-11 11:21 AM
    This is exactly the kind of trick I was looking for. Gonna wait till my desk etc is clear so I do this right (or undo mishaps) which may not be today but meantime please know I really appreciate your prompt and knowledgeable reply. CB rules yet again.
    10-30-11 06:58 PM
    This method doesn't seem to work anymore with the latest version of desktop manager aka desktop software. Whatever the version is that's current as of 01/2012. I think it's 6.1 b38. Anyway there's no PIN folder anywhere on my machine, at least not one with my app cods. I've been using this method since my Curve on OS 4.6 so I know where to look and what to look for, but with desktop software 6.1 and an os7 Torch I'm unable to use this procedure, and that saddens me greatly.
    01-11-12 02:32 AM
    This method doesn't seem to work anymore with the latest version of desktop manager aka desktop software. Whatever the version is that's current as of 01/2012. I think it's 6.1 b38. Anyway there's no PIN folder anywhere on my machine, at least not one with my app cods. I've been using this method since my Curve on OS 4.6 so I know where to look and what to look for, but with desktop software 6.1 and an os7 Torch I'm unable to use this procedure, and that saddens me greatly.
    Something must be wrong. You should still be able to do it. I have done it several times with BB DM 6.1.0.36 on Windows 7 and BB Bold Touch 9900 on OS 7.
    01-11-12 01:08 PM
    This is not working.

I uninstalled everything RIM from my computer, including the user settings, and rebooted. Then I reinstalled DM, rebooted, and reinstalled the 9810 OS on my PC and rebooted again.

While I can make a backup of my PIM information, I still cannot use the DM method to backup my 3rd-party apps. "Switch Devices" still claims to be reading my device and preparing what would be the folder named for my PIN, with the apps inside it. No such folder actually appears in the usual place. Yet the device switch wizard prompts me to connect my "new device" anyway.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so anyone who wishes to help sort me out should visit the thread I've had to start. Unless of course, solving my problem adds value to THIS thread, in which case we can work through it here.
    01-13-12 06:02 AM
    Not sure if this helps at all but when I switched in Oct to the 9810 from the 9800, when doing the "switch devices" after it backed up, it asked me if I wanted to restore including 3rd party apps. I had read on here that it won't do it, but I'm here to tell you that it did reinstall all of my 3rd party apps that would work on 7.0. I had to 'remake" some folders and move some apps into them (don't know how to back up folders) but it worked and I didn't have to go through any of this. Am I off base here and is this not what you are looking for. This is of interest to me as I am considering installing the leaked 7.1 upgrade or at least the newest ATT 2404 bundle. Also, if this is "off thread" I'm sorry but saw it and wanted to reply. Thanks, Jack
    01-18-12 08:23 PM
    Not sure if this helps at all but when I switched in Oct to the 9810 from the 9800, when doing the "switch devices" after it backed up, it asked me if I wanted to restore including 3rd party apps. I had read on here that it won't do it, but I'm here to tell you that it did reinstall all of my 3rd party apps that would work on 7.0. I had to 'remake" some folders and move some apps into them (don't know how to back up folders) but it worked and I didn't have to go through any of this. Am I off base here and is this not what you are looking for. This is of interest to me as I am considering installing the leaked 7.1 upgrade or at least the newest ATT 2404 bundle. Also, if this is "off thread" I'm sorry but saw it and wanted to reply. Thanks, Jack
    If I am not mistaken backing up folders is covered by the "Theme Settings" item in a standard Desktop Manager/Desktop Software backup. I've only ever restored theme settings to the same device they came from, so I don't know if you can use the backup to arrange folders on a new or different device.
    01-19-12 03:03 AM
    Interesting! I've never used a theme so I don't have any experience with restoring them. I've created the new folders, named them and moved apps into them, like you would on a pc. Question, what good is a theme if you use a photo as wall paper?
    01-19-12 01:41 PM
652 ... 24252627
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD