anyone try this yet on the curve 8520?
    01-19-10 09:35 PM
    this tutorial is hot, thanks man
    01-21-10 10:41 AM
    anyone try this yet on the curve 8520?
    Should work on any BB.
    01-21-10 08:10 PM
    I have finally figured out how to do a backup of ALL my 3rd party apps, not just some. Last night I must have done the backup procedure I don't know how many times and just the same 5 apps would be backed up. This left 5 other apps not backed up. Frustrating.
    Then I thought about it and realized that the ones that weren't backed up were the apps that I had in my BB folder on my hard drive. The only ones that backed up were the OTA apps.
    So I renamed my BB folder out of the way, redid the backup procedure and holy geez, EVERYTHING backed up into the PIN folder.
    (Then renamed my BB folder back to what it was).

So, just letting you know of this method. Maybe you know this already, sorry if I'm double posting as I haven't read through every note in this thread.
    What BB folder are you referring to? Have been having the same issue. Thanks.
    02-01-10 01:45 PM
    For those of you that are having issues where Desktop Manager 4.7 does not backup all of your third party apps I believe I have the solution.

Why is it failing? Ok, if you're like me you've probably tried different OS's to see which one works for you and you've restored the third party apps following the procedure here. That's great, however as soon as you restore your third party apps Desktop Manager remembers the folder location where you have stored your <pin> folder to do the third party applications restore. How do I know? The application loader.exe creates a log file in your %temp% folder and upon browsing through that log file I found that loader.exe compares the modules from previous restores and does NOT select those modules to be backed up!

How do we get around this? I recommend creating a zip or rar of your third party apps before you click "cancel" at the location %temp%\<pin> and then copy the archive to a safe location that you can access. I also recommend you never have a <pin> folder accessible during the third party backup procedure. Desktop Manager may see that <pin> folder and exclude modules from being backed up.

So, when you're ready to restore your third party apps just un-archive your third party apps and do your normal restore. After restoring be sure to delete the <pin> folder as future backups will use this location and can exclude modules from being backed up.

Good luck and hopefully you won't have to do OTA installations like I had to today to get "all" of your third party applications back!

YMMV
    Have been looking at this. It makes sense to me. Have deleted all 3rd party app backup folders off of the computer whether they were created by DM or BBSAK. Have rebooted PC and BB. It still refuses to backup all of the apps. It only backs up the 2 I updated in the last week. Was trying to find the log file referred to in my %temp% folder but am not seeing one with that kind of data in it. Does anyone know the name of this log file? I could just use BBSAK but now I'm being stubborn! Anyone?
    02-01-10 04:47 PM
    Thank you for the detailed instructions!
    02-12-10 06:52 PM
    Well...On a Windows 7 system I found the folder at: C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

Thank you!
    02-18-10 08:54 AM
    Hey Crucial: ive downloaded the updated OS application: how exactly do update my phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 02:05 PM
    02-24-10 02:14 PM
    I got a problem here, I followed all steps and backed up all my 3rd Party Apps, and installed the latest leak 5.0.0.509, and everything ran smoothly, but when i try o reload all 3rd Party Apps it prompts me a message stating: "There were no additional applications found for the device"
    anyone have any idea on how to fix this? please?

UPDATE: I solve my problem just by reloading DM, haha, thanks anyway, you all are great.
    Last edited by svejar; 02-27-10 at 04:28 PM.
    02-27-10 04:08 PM
    i got the same message when i tried to restore my 3rd party apps using this method. i couldn't get them to restore.

i ended up installing BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) and restoring the apps one at a time using the file that was saved from the Desktop Manager method. Time consuming, but faster than redownloading all the apps using my BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-10 04:19 PM
    thank you sir, quite some help
    05-12-10 08:00 PM
    Thanks, but now I'm wondering if this is a problem for everyone, or is it just you(lol..no disrespect), or is it maybe those apps in particular? But you said it works just fine on DM 4.2 right? ~Sighs~~
    I realize this quote is from an older part of the thread, but I wanted to mention that every now and then, the backup process does somehow "miss" things. What I have noticed specifically is that a certain theme, Precision Modification, was absent from more recent backups, while present in older ones. This is using the same DM installation and the same device OS.

Separately, and this is not really a problem, I find that the PIN folder contains apps that are no longer on my device but which "carried over" from previous backups. Just a quirk I thought I'd toss out there.

I've read a few pages in, and a few pages back, but I've missed some in the middle, so if these things have been posted already, I do apologize.

I link to this thread in my signature, BTW. I hope you don't mind
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-14-10 at 07:35 AM.
    05-14-10 07:32 AM
    Hi there
    I used to back up my 3rd Party Apps with this method and never had any problem. but now when I press next it says : " the selected device is currently supporting an active dial up network session. to continue close the dial up session..." WTF?!!?!
    I even restarted my computer as well as my phone but it doesn't wanna work.
    any thoughts?

Cheers
    05-20-10 05:21 AM
    I tried this way and it did not back up all me apps,,it left out some and i neva realise till after i wiped the fone
    05-21-10 02:05 PM
    The OS downloaded to the desktop but crackmem doesn't find it si I can get it on the Bold. ugh!
    05-21-10 07:15 PM
    ...every now and then, the backup process does somehow "miss" things. ...This is using the same DM installation and the same device OS.

Separately, and this is not really a problem, I find that the PIN folder contains apps that are no longer on my device but which "carried over" from previous backups. Just a quirk I thought I'd toss out there.
    I had an experience whereby I attempted to restore my apps [from my most recent backup] and all I got restored was my DocsToGo and all their related subfiles. I happened to check the contents of the folder and all it contained was 9 files (including the .alx file). Fortunately, I kept all of my prior backups in my recycle bin for the last several months. I opened a previous backup and found 101 files; I opened another backup folder and found 18 files; yet another had 84; and another had 52. I haven't added, deleted or made any changes to any of my loaded apps since November, but yet, of the 7 backup folders I've retained, 4 of them contain less than the 101 files that should be in there.

I guess it would behoove one to check the contents of their backup folder after creating a backup and to keep previous backups in a separate location after creating a new one. Had I not been so anal as to not empty my recycle bin 'just in case', I'd be having a nervous breakdown right now.

Now, I sure I'm gonna spend the next week trying to figure out why my device and/or DM is encountering such inconsistencies when creating backups.
    06-02-10 02:39 PM
    please help. i didnt read this before going and replacing my old tour with a new one. i backed up my device prior to taking it to store but i have tried restoring data but i keep getting an error message at the end.

error says:

error restoring databases
    [oma dm] 0 of 1 entries restored.

please help. thanks.
    06-07-10 08:15 PM
    06-07-10 09:28 PM
    Thanks, but now I'm wondering if this is a problem for everyone, or is it just you(lol..no disrespect), or is it maybe those apps in particular? But you said it works just fine on DM 4.2 right? ~Sighs~~
    I realize this quote is from an older part of the thread, but I wanted to mention that every now and then, the backup process does somehow "miss" things...This is using the same DM installation and the same device OS.
    I tried this way and it did not back up all me apps,,it left out some and i neva realise till after i wiped the fone
    I had an experience whereby I attempted to restore my apps and all I got restored was my DocsToGo and all their related subfiles. I happened to check the contents of the folder and all it contained was 9 files (including the .alx file)...I haven't added, deleted or made any changes to any of my loaded apps since November, but yet, of the 7 backup folders I've retained, 4 of them contain less than the 101 files that should be in there.

I guess it would behoove one to check the contents of their backup folder after creating a backup and to keep previous backups in a separate location after creating a new one. Had I not been so anal as to not empty my recycle bin 'just in case', I'd be having a nervous breakdown right now.
    I'm still having this problem. I noticed that many of my installed apps and themes that should appear in the [pin number] folder are simply not there. I have found no cause for this. Initially, the backups I made included all my apps, for instance CaptureIt and BerryWeather, and themes. One day, without having made any changes to my computer or my device, the backup folder did not contain these apps. Certain apps and themes that I know should be in there, weren't. I can't figure out why it backs up certain apps and not others, or why it has suddenly started doing this when things had been working just fine the day before. Ever since this started happening, it happens every time.

I have wiped my device with CrackMem and reloaded the OS. That didn't make any difference in this issue. I have uninstalled DM and my device OS from my computer, rebooted and reinstalled, and that also did nothing to help fix the issue.

I am able to use the 3rd-party tool BB MCP to create backup files, but that's not enough for me. I need to be able to have 100 per cent confidence in THIS method. I need to know why this problem is occurring, and how to take care of it. And if it's happening to me, and to the posters I've quoted, you can bet it is happening to other users as well. Some of them may not even realize it until it is too late. Is there a fix for this?

(If it makes a difference, I'm using DM v5.0.1, the March 2010 release version from RIM's site.)
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 06-08-10 at 02:59 AM.
    06-08-10 02:50 AM
    This is most likely because you have previous backups in the same location, so DM only recognizes the newest additions and or updates, and ignores the rest.

If you ever use one of these backups to restore an app or multiple apps back to your device you'll need to move the folder to a new location after restoring. If you leave it in the same location then the next time you perform this backup procedure any apps included in the original will not be backed up in the temp/yourpin folder since they are already recognized by Desktop Manager as being in another location. So, after restoring your app(s) simply move the pin folder to a new location, rename it or delete it.

The above is an excerpt from this CB thread >> which was gleaned from here.
    06-08-10 10:30 AM
    Is this method restore registration codes too at the same time?
    If not is there any way to restore application and registration info?

Thank you

Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go:

1)Download & install the newest Desktop Manager Version HERE

2) Connect BB

3) Open DM

4) Select Switch Device Wizard

5) Select Switch BB Devices

6) Select Next

7) Select USB & then your PIN #

8) Select Next. Enter your Password if required

9) Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected

10) Select Next

11) When it's done backing up leave the screen as is.
    DO NOT select Next or Cancel

12) Search your computer Folders & Files for a folder with your PIN # as the name. DEFINITELY check System Files & Hidden Files as well

13) After you find it, copy it & SAVE it to a easy accessible place

14) Go back to the Switch Device Wizard page that we left alone & cancel it. ALSO, check and make sure the folder IS saved before Canceling or the folder will be LOST

15) You can now wipe the device with JL_Cmder

RESTORATION

1) After you've loaded the OS go back & run the Apploader & Select ADD

2) "Browse" to find the folder we saved with your PIN # and Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.

3) Your 3rd Party Apps should appear in the Apploader screen

4) Select Finish to load Apps to device

5) Now you may restore other data from a previous backup.

***UPDATE FOR DM 4.7***

1) Plug in device>Open DM>Device Switch Wizard

2) DSW>BlackBerry devices

3) Make sure ONLY 3rd Party Applications is checked>Select Next

4) DM will back up 3rd party apps, when finished DO NOT select Next or Cancel!!!

5) Search your computer Files & Folders and DEFINITELY make sure to search HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS for a folder with the same name as your PIN and a .alx file.

6) Move both the folder and .alx file to an easy a
    accessible place you remember.

7) Go back to the DM and cancel the process.

PIN Folder- Search Method for VISTA Users

1) Click Start Circle

2) Click on Help & Support

3) Enter "Search Folder"

4) Click on "Find a file or folder"

5) Click on "To find a file or folder using the Search folder"

6) Click on "Click to open search"

7) Click on the expand arrow next to "Advanced Search"

8) Click on "Location" and use Local Disk C: (usually!)

9) Enter the PIN of your BB under "Name"

10) Make sure the box is checked next to "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files"

If you do not want to follow those instructions you may take this path also:

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

Thanks to jfksabal for the Vista search process.

RESTORE PROCESS

1) Plug in device>Open Desktop Manager

2) Select Apploader>Add/Remove Applications

3) Select Add

4) Browse to Folder named your PIN #

5) Select the .alx file and Select Open>Select Next

This Tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this tutorial anywhere without my permission. You may however, post links. Thank you very much and I hope this helps atleast one person.
    06-08-10 11:32 AM
    This is most likely because you have previous backups in the same location, so DM only recognizes the newest additions and or updates, and ignores the rest.

If you ever use one of these backups to restore an app or multiple apps back to your device you'll need to move the folder to a new location after restoring. If you leave it in the same location then the next time you perform this backup procedure any apps included in the original will not be backed up in the temp/yourpin folder since they are already recognized by Desktop Manager as being in another location. So, after restoring your app(s) simply move the pin folder to a new location, rename it or delete it.

The above is an excerpt from this CB thread >> which was gleaned from here.
    Amazing. This worked. I just changed the name of the store folder on my PC, and DM backed up ALL my installed apps. Thank you!
    06-08-10 12:32 PM
    Is this method restore registration codes too at the same time?
    If not is there any way to restore application and registration info?
    I believe whether or not you have to re-enter your registration codes is dependent upon the way the app was written. Of my couple dozen apps, I only have to re-enter codes for approximately 4-6 apps after a restore. Further, I'm not clear on where the app info is held. I'm inclined to think your actual backup stores all your settings and codes, while the 3rd party app backup only contains the .cod's necessary for app installation.

Not sure - just thinking out loud!
    06-08-10 10:38 PM
    I have been using this technique for a long time. I always hide my previous backup so I get a full new backup (and delete out the folder from it's "hidden" location). However, this time, it won't backup Google Maps or Quickpull. All other programs are backed up correctly. I have never had this type of problem before. I have tried multiple times, moving my old folder to different locations to make sure.
    06-10-10 01:25 PM
652 ... 2223242526 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD