I've done many OS updates and I'm stuck on this one.

The first part of my original message somehow resolved itself...though the 2nd part is still an issue for me.

Also, this has always confused the heck out of me...why is it DM, when updating, wants to remove NEWER apps than what it thinks I should have. I'm always losing Bolt and Poynt and I just don't understand it. I'm very frustrated with this. And tonight it took SplashID off, too...without warning.
    Last edited by French; 11-12-09 at 07:29 PM.
    11-12-09 06:38 PM
    Seriously? No offense but you've never noticed the "Backup/Restore" feature of BDM? That's basically what it's for. It won't copy third party apps though, that's why you need the procedure listed above. Or am I totally misunderstanding your question? If so, forgive me. I have been restoring my Tour for the past 2hrs. For the love of God and Crackberries, don't ever EVER install Viigo. It's total garbage and bricks berries!
    That might be, but I've been using Viigo on 5.0 for a while now with no problems. I even updated to their newest version and it still works great.
    11-12-09 11:30 PM
    Seriously? No offense but you've never noticed the "Backup/Restore" feature of BDM? That's basically what it's for. It won't copy third party apps though, that's why you need the procedure listed above. Or am I totally misunderstanding your question? If so, forgive me. I have been restoring my Tour for the past 2hrs. For the love of God and Crackberries, don't ever EVER install Viigo. It's total garbage and bricks berries!
    I have used the "Backup/Restore" feature, however that only backs up the data on the device. I want to have a copy of the apps themselves, like the BBM 5.0 app. As for Viigo, I have been using it since day one without any problems.
    11-13-09 10:32 AM
    does the backup method still work for v 5.0.0.18 desktop manager, i am backin up but the folder is not being created in my temp folder???
    11-23-09 01:34 PM
    Good to know

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 10:06 PM
    Could someone please telll me if its possible to do this process with Windows 7? I have backed up my 3rd party apps lots of times with no problems with windows XP. Now I have Windows 7 and I can't seem to find the PIN file anywhere. I've googled "how to search for hidden files and folders in Windows 7", but all the info explains how to show hidden files and folders, but not search for them the old way. I would really appreciate some help on this, as I'm about to throw my laptop through the window! lol (< if I don't laugh, I'll cry!)
    11-24-09 11:07 PM
    i had this problem too i could not find the folder for the life of me. i have backed up my 9530 3rd party apps at least 10 times

since i got my 9550 i havent been able to get this to work i also upgraded to windows 7 around the same time so im not sure if its windows 7 or my 9550 thats giving me problems backing up third party apps using the method described in the first post.

i ended up using bbsak 1.7 but my apps restored all weird. for some of the apps i restored every single module shows up as a seperate entry on the option app screen on my 9550
    11-25-09 01:07 AM
    Same here. DM 5.0.1.B30 created the PIN folder. DM 5.0.1.B49 asks for the new BB before it downloads apps.
    11-25-09 01:59 AM
    Did you guys by any chance type %tmp% in the start menu search box?
    11-25-09 08:22 AM
    Did you guys by any chance type %tmp% in the start menu search box?
    whoa thanks man i was having problems too and just tried your suggestion...thank you very much
    12-05-09 09:41 AM
    Ok I must of done something wrong, I did a OS update, first time doing a wipe before updating. Followed the back up insturctions, when I went to restore the apps, I got a error message, not compatible with this device. The file I fouind to save was a .alx file, did I save the wrong file or what?, the file name was of my pin
    Did anyone ever figure this out? I was able to restore this way before but it stopped working and started giving me this error for some reason. I didn't update or change DM, I think actually this problem is less than a week old, but now I can't get the alx to load.
    12-16-09 04:34 AM
    I just recently began getting this error also. Usually it means you have to have the same device software on the PC as you have on your handheld. I do and still get the error. I had to us BBSAK and load all my 3rd party app CODs seperately. I think I loaded 10 at a time. After every load you have to wait for your BB to reset, but this worked for me.
    12-16-09 08:36 AM
    That's what I've resorted to, but it's a bit of a pain, like you said you have to sit there and wait for multiple reboots...

12-16-09 11:55 AM
    Figured the "This application is not compatible with your device and cannot be loaded." problem out. Here is how you do it folks:

Move your .alx and folder elsewhere on your pc.
    Restart pc and blackberry
    Goto program files->common files->RIM->AppLoader->run apploader.exe.

You will have to select add and find the alx file wherever you placed it

This worked for both my Storm and Tour.
    having the same problem and just found this guys
    12-16-09 01:07 PM
    Dont know if it works yet but will let you know, might be worth putting in the guide though if it does?!
    12-16-09 01:09 PM
    I saw that already, have tried it twice and it hasn't worked for me.

12-16-09 05:03 PM
    actually didn't bother to try it in the end, just re downloaded. have never had so many problems upgrading and have done pretty much every one since 4.0.0.78!
    12-16-09 06:14 PM
    I had 5.0.411 installed on my 8900, but was having Browser problems so I tried to do the 'AT&T Browser Fix', but b/c I'm not with AT&T I needed the proper Cincinnati Bell Service Books to fix the problem.

Long story short I had to downgrade back to 4.6 - which had the (Cincinnati Bell) service books I needed once I loaded the 5.0 OS (from another vendor) - backup my 4.6 service books, then reload 5.0 and replace the default SB's with the 4.6 Cinbell SB's that I backed up.

Before I downgraded from 5.0 back to 4.6, I used this process for backing up my 3rd party apps. Upon reloading 5.0 (and successfully fixing the Browser issue) I went to reload my 3rd Party Apps using the .alx file I had saved using the steps in this thread. However, when I select the .alx file using AppLoader I receive and error message saying "This application is not compatible with your device and cannot be loaded."

Does anyone know why the .alx file would not be compatible with my device? I am using the same OS version as I was when I created the file, so I'm a bit confused as to what went wrong.
    12-17-09 05:28 PM
    I have finally figured out how to do a backup of ALL my 3rd party apps, not just some. Last night I must have done the backup procedure I don't know how many times and just the same 5 apps would be backed up. This left 5 other apps not backed up. Frustrating.
    Then I thought about it and realized that the ones that weren't backed up were the apps that I had in my BB folder on my hard drive. The only ones that backed up were the OTA apps.
    So I renamed my BB folder out of the way, redid the backup procedure and holy geez, EVERYTHING backed up into the PIN folder.
    (Then renamed my BB folder back to what it was).

So, just letting you know of this method. Maybe you know this already, sorry if I'm double posting as I haven't read through every note in this thread.
    12-27-09 12:12 PM
    That approach definitely works, but now that BBSAK is here, that makes it even easier. Plus, it contains other useful utilities and features.
    12-27-09 04:28 PM
    Thanks CX! After getting a Reload Software Error the other day (and fixing i) i finally decided to back up my 3rd party apps. Your guide was easy to follow and worked great!
    12-28-09 08:01 AM
    If I have 2 Blackbery Device, Is that possible to restore 3rd party application backup from 1 Device to another device?

Thank you for the advice...
    12-29-09 06:30 AM
    I�have followed all the steps until I have to upload the apps into my Bold 9700 and I get this message: �Invalid Configuration: The Device does not have sufficient storage space to accomodate your selections. Please select fewer applications.�
    The thing is that I have 124.8 MB in Application Memory of Free Space. And I�m justrying to upload Shazam that is 490kb

Can Somebody help me?
    By the way I�m doning this whole procedure on the Desktop manager V4.6
    01-07-10 02:09 PM
    This is maybe my second post but I had to sign in to thank you. I have a BB 8330 that was wiped and lost most of my 3rd party apps.

After a day of frustration and after reading the added suggestion of START/RUN/%temp%, I successful!!!!! LIFESAVER - truly
    01-08-10 09:36 AM
    Thanks for the info!
    01-17-10 10:51 AM
652 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD