Would it be possible to put a date on the subject line when this is update. Here is what the title says now..."**Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated"

Is it possible to change it to:...."**Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated on 10-01-09"

This way when you come across the title you can easily see when this was last updated.

Just a suggestion
    I second that!
    10-08-09 11:24 AM
    Question for when doing a restore.....

Does the ALX file need to be acutally in the folder named after your PIN, or do you just need to know where both reside?

Thanks!

I wish the folks at my local Verizon independent seller had been able to tell me this stuff. Anyways, I'll bring some good crackberry info to them.
    10-08-09 06:27 PM
    Weird. After I back up my 3rd party apps and do an os upgrade, DM just restore all my 3rd party apps automatically. I do not need to do any extra step besides just launching the upgrade. Is that a common occurrence or was I lucky when I did my upgrade?
    10-08-09 06:32 PM
    Would it be possible to put a date on the subject line when this is update. Here is what the title says now..."**Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated"

Is it possible to change it to:...."**Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated on 10-01-09"

This way when you come across the title you can easily see when this was last updated.

Just a suggestion
    Awesome idea... my thoughts, exactly.
    10-10-09 04:32 PM
    Question for when doing a restore.....

Does the ALX file need to be acutally in the folder named after your PIN, or do you just need to know where both reside?

Thanks!

I wish the folks at my local Verizon independent seller had been able to tell me this stuff. Anyways, I'll bring some good crackberry info to them.
    Anyone able to offer an answer to my question? Thanks!
    10-13-09 08:35 AM
    This backs up the apps, but not the data in the apps. Is there a way to back up the data in the app? Or am I missing something? Thanks!!
    Anybody know this?? Thanks!
    10-14-09 06:24 PM
    the instructions say only selcect 3rd party apps. what if you want a complete backup with emails, texts and everything?
    10-15-09 07:42 AM
    I'm not finding the .alx file and there is no AppData folder in my C: drive user folder.
    10-21-09 10:34 PM
    not sure what AppData folder you are looking for (never heard of it) but the alx files are located in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\your_OS_version

If you are trying to back up the app data, run the migration wizard in the DM up till it asks you for the pin for your destination device and type the following into your location bar

%tmp%

there will be a directory with the same name as your pin. (save the ENTIRE FOLDER) Inside that is another alx file used to recover your backed up apps
    10-21-09 10:48 PM
    Alright I figured it out. Thanks.

The problem was the first time I did it I couldn't find the folder with the ALX file by the instructions in the first post. I found it though by using your method.

So if I have to reload my OS again (yes I already went thru the 552 error once) do I just add the ALX file to app loader and all my apps and their settings will be restored?
    10-21-09 11:42 PM
    Have we figured out how to manuvre this on a Mac yet?
    Has anyone done this with a Mac yet? I don't have a PC to back up to.
    10-22-09 07:28 PM
    Sorry to ask but I've been searching through these forums for the last hour. Will this retain all the "custom" stuff in the app or just the app itself? Everytime I've upgraded my OS I've lost all my custom foods in Total Fitness. (see my previous post on the problem at http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/tot...re-u-g-316000/)
    10-24-09 03:53 PM
    @dmiller - This is a question that gets asked a lot and I have yet to find a simple yes or no answer. I do know a couple of people personally who say there is no way to back up the settings and customizations in your 3rd party apps, just the apps themselves. If correct, this saves you having to download the apps again, but does nothing to help you avoid having to customize it all again. If you are one of the unlucky people with defective Tour trackballs, (my son is on his 5th Tour), then you may spend a lot of time being frustrated at having to re-customize any 3rd party apps.
    11-01-09 05:50 PM
    @dmiller - This is a question that gets asked a lot and I have yet to find a simple yes or no answer. I do know a couple of people personally who say there is no way to back up the settings and customizations in your 3rd party apps, just the apps themselves. If correct, this saves you having to download the apps again, but does nothing to help you avoid having to customize it all again. If you are one of the unlucky people with defective Tour trackballs, (my son is on his 5th Tour), then you may spend a lot of time being frustrated at having to re-customize any 3rd party apps.
    Thanks for the reply Wiil
    11-01-09 09:09 PM
    Ok I must of done something wrong, I did a OS update, first time doing a wipe before updating. Followed the back up insturctions, when I went to restore the apps, I got a error message, not compatible with this device. The file I fouind to save was a .alx file, did I save the wrong file or what?, the file name was of my pin
    11-02-09 11:12 AM
    Ok I must of done something wrong, I did a OS update, first time doing a wipe before updating. Followed the back up insturctions, when I went to restore the apps, I got a error message, not compatible with this device. The file I fouind to save was a .alx file, did I save the wrong file or what?, the file name was of my pin
    Did it say something specific wasn't compatible?
    11-02-09 11:29 AM
    Crucial_Extreme,

This worked wonderful. Thank you so much, my carrier told me that there was no way to bac up your 3rd party apps. I just had some corrupted files for a app ugrade that gave me all kinds of headaches. This would saved me 8 hours of work in re-installing / downloading all my Apps.

Thanks
    11-04-09 11:56 AM
    good info, doing this now to my bb's
    11-04-09 10:10 PM
    How do I get DM to stop wanting to downgrade DocsToGo Premium every time I connect it? I am running Windows 7 and DM 5.0.
    11-05-09 07:48 PM
    How do I get DM to stop wanting to downgrade DocsToGo Premium every time I connect it? I am running Windows 7 and DM 5.0.
    remove the documentstogo.alx from your OS folder
    11-05-09 09:23 PM
    After following this I was able to locate my .alx file in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\, however it did not save everything. Viigo, Bloomberg Mobile, Facebook and BBM 5.0 are examples of some of the apps that did not get saved over. Anyone know why?
    11-06-09 08:46 PM
    the alx file is just third party apps whic does not typically inclide the RIM ones like BBM. Make sure you take the entire directory not just the alx file as the alx file is just a list the actual apps are in the directory.
    11-06-09 09:38 PM
    What about Viigo and Bloomberg Mobile? The former was retrieved OTA through the author's website and the latter was done through the Blackberry App World.
    11-06-09 11:06 PM
    remove the documentstogo.alx from your OS folder
    Thanks!
    11-06-09 11:21 PM
    Looks like if you remove and reinstall BDM and go through this backup procedure that it will copy all the apps off the device... anyone know if it's possible to trigger a full backup without removing and reinstalling BDM?
    11-07-09 01:51 AM
652 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD