Yes this is after I backed it up and am trying to load to a new phone. What is / how do i get a fresh OS. Don't think i did that.
    09-11-09 09:31 PM
    Yes this is after I backed it up and am trying to load to a new phone. What is / how do i get a fresh OS. Don't think i did that.
    disreguard fresh os thats different, i just didnt' know if you did a different operating system install.

instead of trying to load all the apps at once just choose one and see if it works, and if that works, choose another up until you find the one application that is probably screwing up the whole process.
    Last edited by saintjah; 09-11-09 at 10:57 PM.
    09-11-09 10:32 PM
    I couldn't get it to work with the Pin file - just did it the normal way and had to reregister.
    09-12-09 08:00 AM
    When I did the search, it found 8 files with my pin as the file name, what file do I need to save?, is it the .Alx file?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You are correct you only need the "yourpin.alx" file.
    09-12-09 08:30 AM
    Great thread, worked like a charm.. didnt wanna lose my vlingo
    09-13-09 09:08 PM
    thanks for the info.. Subscrib.T
    09-14-09 02:08 AM
    Hi, so here's my problem.. I had a nice storm 9530 (Verizon) and it got damaged but before I turned it in for a new one, I backed up my data and 3rd party apps. The Verizon rep could not help me transfer the 3rd party apps because his setup included being able to select options on my broken storm's screen which was not functioning. In a nuttshell, I have all the saved data from my old device with it's old PIN, how do I transfer that data into my NEW storm with it's NEW PIN? I tried the apploader but it gives me an incompatibility message when I point it to the ".alx" file with the old PIN, likely because of different PINS. Since I no longer have access to my old device, is there ANY way I can retrieve my backed up 3rd party apps other than hunting down each place I bought one from and begging them for a redownload and new key? Thanks
    09-14-09 10:21 PM
    I was SO happy to find this after getting no help from Verizon on transferring my 3rd party apps to a new refurb Tour (didn't come with a battery, so I couldn't do it as a normal device switch).

However, when I go to restore, I get the following error, "This application is not compatible with your device and cannot be loaded." I'm using DM 5.0. Could that be why this isn't working?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Update: I tried using AppLoader through Windows Explorer to load the third-party apps, and it worked perfectly! Thank you very much
    Last edited by Jamahaffey; 09-15-09 at 08:46 PM. Reason: adding info.
    09-15-09 08:18 PM
    I have DM 5.0 and don't have an icon for Device Switch Wizard at all. Is there a way to add the wizard to my DM? Is there a version of DM that I should install, instead of 5.0?
    09-17-09 08:52 AM
    I have DM 5.0 and don't have an icon for Device Switch Wizard at all. Is there a way to add the wizard to my DM? Is there a version of DM that I should install, instead of 5.0?
    I have 5.0 and have the device switch icon. I don't know why you don't, You should.
    09-17-09 01:41 PM
    finally some advice thats was much needed when I switched from my curve to my tour I lost almost 100 bucks worth of apps! Well not really just my brother got one **** of a phone that was loaded!
    09-23-09 08:37 PM
    Does this work with apps such as Magmic's Texas Hold 'em King 3 where the data from the app (game stauts info) is stored locally on the device?
    I've now lost my game data twice during an OS upgrade - both through DM and wirelessly... (whining), once with $10M in the bankroll and the second time with $11M and all but 2 unlocked awards

09-25-09 12:24 PM
    Sooooo I am confused.. Do i need to wipe my phone or not?

Can someone break it down for me, the tutorial is kind of confusing on how I would back up my 3rd party apps w/o wiping my phone

Thanks
    09-25-09 12:32 PM
    So I went ahead and followed the instructions, I completed it all the way up step #14..

So how do I know that it was a success? In the instructions when it tells you to search for your PIN folder and save it (which I did) I can see my apps there. Is that how I know it was a success?

What if lets say I were to upgrade my OS and no 3rd party apps trasnfered over. Would I open up my PIN folder and upload them via DM? If so what option would I choose?

Thanks
    09-25-09 11:48 PM
    Try uninstalling your DM 5.0, download it again from the Blackberry site, and re-install it. You should have the wizard, it's part of DM.
    09-26-09 11:11 AM
    Ok looked through this entire thread and crackberry and could not find a fix for the below:

Upon clicking the ALX file it states not compatible with your device. This is prior to being able to select which apps you want so please don't say this was responded to earlier as it was not. I had to downgrade back to 4.7 to get it work. What is the deal?
    09-26-09 09:03 PM
    i can't back up my 3rd party apps!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

when i go to back it up and look it up in the folders i can't find it!!!!! i'm so pissed!!!!!! i've done it before and it worked but it doesn't want to work now!!!!!!!1

any fixes for this??? and yes i put hidden files and everything so idk what';s going on!

can someone help me??
    09-28-09 07:39 PM
    Figured the "This application is not compatible with your device and cannot be loaded." problem out. Here is how you do it folks:

Move your .alx and folder elsewhere on your pc.
    Restart pc and blackberry
    Goto program files->common files->RIM->AppLoader->run apploader.exe.

You will have to select add and find the alx file wherever you placed it

This worked for both my Storm and Tour.
    09-29-09 09:46 PM
    Please forgive me but I'm not so technologically adept.
    I have a Tour that I am about to switch in a Sprint store for another (hopefully) problem free one. From what I understand, I cannot use the Device Switcher unless I have both devices. So I wouldn't be able to use it. If I follow this How-To will I be able to load all my settings, data and apps to my next one?
    I am running DM 5.0 and Windows Vista.
    My device is running the OS that it came with - 4.7.1.40 and I imagine the new one will be running the same.
    Thanks!!

09-30-09 08:52 AM
    You're correct, in order to use device switch wiz, you have to have both phones. You could either:

get a swap through the mail, use the device switch and then wipe and return the old one, or

do a full backup on the old one, and follow the how-to in this thread to backup 3rd party apps too, and then restore the full backup followed by 3rd party apps backup.

There were some who said you could theoretically start the device switch process, pull the old device, leave it up and running (i.e. waiting for 2nd device), go to store, get new device, and then connect new device and finish the device switch process. Not sure that will work though so I wouldn't count on it.
    10-01-09 10:45 AM
    thanks for the update..very helpful..
    10-01-09 02:32 PM
    Would it be possible to put a date on the subject line when this is update. Here is what the title says now..."**Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated"

Is it possible to change it to:...."**Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated on 10-01-09"

This way when you come across the title you can easily see when this was last updated.

Just a suggestion
    10-01-09 05:32 PM
    Have we figured out how to manuvre this on a Mac yet?
    10-03-09 01:35 PM
    This backs up the apps, but not the data in the apps. Is there a way to back up the data in the app? Or am I missing something? Thanks!!
    10-05-09 10:19 PM
    This is what I needed before I tried something out. great job!
    10-07-09 11:21 PM
652 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD