Howdy,

Can someone please explain why the backup of 3rd party apps has to be done this way? I am likely going to replace my Storm in the next few days (bottom buttons acting flaky). I thought I could just use the Device Switch Wizard, but I ran across this guide that makes it sound like the process is trickier than simply using the wizard (check *only* 3rd party apps, interrupt the process, manually move around the files, etc.). Why not simply use the wizard from start to finish with backup of all items selected? I'm guessing I'm missing something here.

Thanks!
    08-19-09 09:34 PM
    Howdy,

Can someone please explain why the backup of 3rd party apps has to be done this way? I am likely going to replace my Storm in the next few days (bottom buttons acting flaky). I thought I could just use the Device Switch Wizard, but I ran across this guide that makes it sound like the process is trickier than simply using the wizard (check *only* 3rd party apps, interrupt the process, manually move around the files, etc.). Why not simply use the wizard from start to finish with backup of all items selected? I'm guessing I'm missing something here.

Thanks!
    Yep, you are missing something in that, if you are just switching devices, you don't need to do this. Just switched from a Pearl to a Curve using Device Switch and the only difference afterwards was the device I was holding in my hand. Backing up your phone is different though, it doesn't do a full backup (like 3rd party apps). So if your phone breaks, doing a restore from a file onto a new phone: there will be no 3rd party apps.
    08-20-09 08:26 AM
    Yep, you are missing something in that, if you are just switching devices, you don't need to do this. Just switched from a Pearl to a Curve using Device Switch and the only difference afterwards was the device I was holding in my hand. Backing up your phone is different though, it doesn't do a full backup (like 3rd party apps). So if your phone breaks, doing a restore from a file onto a new phone: there will be no 3rd party apps.
    Ahhhh... ok. Thanks for the explanation.

So I'm going to go back to the Verizon store, show them my flaky BB, hopefully get a new one, and head home. Can the Device Switch Wizard do the backup part before I go to the store, and then the restore part later when I'm back with the new phone? It sounds like it expects both devices to be there in front of you when you do this, and I'm going to have to turn in the flaky phone for the new one. I'd like to make a full backup (with the Device Switch Wizard so it will include 3rd party apps), wipe the old phone, then go swap the phone, but it's not clear if I can do it this way.

Thanks again.
    08-20-09 08:32 AM
    thanks for the tip!
    08-20-09 08:33 AM
    I cant seem to find the folder/file after i follow the instructions. I am on DM 5.0, if that makes a difference -- also using windows xp
    08-20-09 09:24 AM
    Never mind...I found it
    Last edited by ehalperin; 08-20-09 at 09:33 AM.
    08-20-09 09:30 AM
    use this app .. allot easier for those having trble

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/new...e-beta-240210/
    08-20-09 09:33 AM
    use this app .. allot easier for those having trble

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/new...e-beta-240210/
    Was JUST about to post this. This App is the best application for your desktop.
    08-20-09 08:54 PM
    I have to second/3rd this. The bbsak is a fantastic app. It just amazes me that RIM doesn't have something like this instead of the DM
    08-20-09 09:16 PM
    Was JUST about to post this. This App is the best application for your desktop.
    i tried to install and was given a message that I don thave permission, contact admin (its a work dell). i have a mac at home, so I use DM here at work
    08-21-09 07:26 AM
    Thanks for the info, I had to do this last week and with the help of this thread it was just plain smooth..

Thanks again
    08-21-09 10:46 AM
    Thanks for posting this. I just backed up and saved my 3rd party apps, so I'll be able to restore them once I upgrade my OS on Tues.

This was a very helpful post. Kudos to you, Crucial!
    08-23-09 11:08 PM
    RESTORATION

1) After you've loaded the OS go back & run the Apploader & Select ADD

2) "Browse" to find the folder we saved with your PIN # and Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.

3) Your 3rd Party Apps should appear in the Apploader screen

4) Select Finish to load Apps to device

5) Now you may restore other data from a previous backup.
    Ok, so I have all my apps saved, and I was just going to see what it would look like to reload them to my Tour. I went to the Application loader and there are only two options:

Add/move - start
    Update Software - start.

There is no place to select/browse for my 3rd party app on the computer, any ideas. i am running DM 5

Looks like im an *****. I figured it out. sorry
    08-24-09 12:42 PM
    Does this process, when restoring, restore all data for the individual third party apps? (like settings, or data you have entered, like tasks for example)
    08-25-09 07:08 PM
    Thanks for posting this, Crucial! I just restored all my 3rd party apps after upgrading my OS today. Everything went smoothly.
    08-25-09 08:08 PM
    My Blackberry Bold had a set of Magmic games on it (texas holdem, klondike, sudoko, etc.) that I used to kill time. I have to replace my BB Bold with a BB Curve 8830. I would like to move these Magmic games to the new BB. The approach of using DM to switch BB for only 3rd party apps does not back up the Magmic games. Is there any way to move these games to my new BB?
    08-29-09 02:47 PM
    When I did the search, it found 8 files with my pin as the file name, what file do I need to save?, is it the .Alx file?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 05:48 PM
    Great thread, worked wonderfully last week when I had my "horizontally-track-ball-challenged" Tour replaced with a wonderful green-dot.

Problem is:

Before I read about the "green dots", I didn't realize that it was normal of those for the trackball to be more recessed than the problem phones. I called Tech Support who sent me another phone. In the mean time I came here, read about them and called TS back. They said it was too late to cancel, and to be sure to send the original phone back in the first replacement's box, the first replacement in the second replacement's box, and to keep the second replacement.

When I went to thru the process again w/the 1st replacement, since I had more on the that phone than the original, the temp folder had only the .alx file and none of the apps listed.

They are on the phone from the first backup. Not sure what to do next. I can't come up with anything that I did differently.
    08-31-09 08:34 PM
    [QUOTE=Crucial_Xtreme;511278]Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go: QUOTE]

Thanx much, wonderful straightforward post! I just migrated from Palm for xxxxx years and I Love my Storm, just cant believe some of the restrictions and basic functions which are missing.
    09-01-09 03:54 PM
    Top info for backing up your 3rd party apps thanks crucial Xtreme
    09-07-09 10:04 AM
    [quote=Crucial_Xtreme;511278]Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go: QUOTE]

Crucial: First, thank you for the excellent explanation. Second, I recently upgraded from a Storm to a Tour. When I do a 3rd party app backup alot of my apps do not show up in the backup file (titled with my PIN). I have tried several times but about 2/3 of my apps are not backed-up. I looked in my old Storm backup and they are all there, so I'm thinking the Tour is the problem. Any suggestions?
    09-07-09 11:00 AM
    thanks so much
    09-09-09 01:27 PM
    Great!!!!!!!
    09-09-09 01:51 PM
    Just tried this and am getting this error "this application is not compatible and cannot be loaded" please advise.
    09-11-09 09:03 PM
    Just tried this and am getting this error "this application is not compatible and cannot be loaded" please advise.
    Was this after you backed it up, and now you are loading it on a new phone/fresh os?

Or is this still during the backup process? I would say if you were really motivated try loading just one application, than another and until you find the trouble app, then just select everything but that one to re-load, and then simply re-download the one application that was giving you trouble, and install it that way instead. Process of elimination if you will.
    Last edited by saintjah; 09-11-09 at 09:28 PM.
    09-11-09 09:24 PM
652 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD