Ok...here's a fun one. I tried to install the .alx file via DM 4.6. When the import is complete, i am still missing certain files. The files are in the folder (the size matches, approx 1.5 MB theme). Is there a way i can change that extension to install this file manually? It's a bplay theme. Does anyone know what is happening?
    04-08-09 09:37 PM
    thank you ! this was very helpful for doing the update.
    04-08-09 10:59 PM
    Easier way to sarch in Vista or XP:

1. Click Computer (or My Computer)
    2. Click on the C drive
    3. In the location bar type %tmp% and hit Enter.
    you will be in the temporary directory that Windows is using and then just copy the folder with the same name as your PIN to a safe place (e.g. your desktop)
    04-08-09 11:37 PM
    Thanks for this info. It worked finie for me!!!!
    04-15-09 12:26 AM
    So if I was to buy an application like Shazam that only saves to the mobile device you use.If I was to back-up the app when I bought and switch to another device would it work?
    04-18-09 09:25 AM
    Procedure won't back up a new app called RDM+...
    04-23-09 11:22 AM
    I have to say this is a great forum. As most of you know Talklock recently went from a free to a pay app I have had talklock since Feb and when I did my last upgrade, I lost it. Thats how I found out you had to pay for it then. Good thing I had also put it on the misses Storm also. So I was able to back her copy up and load it onto mine. Now I have every #rd party app I ever used in a nice little desktop folder. Thanks again.
    04-29-09 06:30 PM
    Can the backup apps be loaded to another BB?
    They most certainly can.
    04-29-09 06:34 PM
    Awesome! Thanks!!
    04-29-09 11:25 PM
    This procedure always worked for me in the past. Now, after installing Facebook 1.5, it only backs up Facebook and not the other 12 third party apps it used to see. Any suggestions?
    04-30-09 05:38 PM
    Good Info, Im Curious If I Choose To Back Up All Data As Well As Apps Will It Work?
    04-30-09 10:40 PM
    OK So I'm running DM 4.7 and I have Windows XP...I have backed up my 3rd party apps before and I would find the folder in my TEMP files...I accidentally DELETED the Temp File PIN Folder that I use to get all my 3rd party apps from, and now when I go to device switch, and try to back up my 3rd party apps, a NEW folder with my PIN will not be created in the TEMP file locations...so I cant back up my 3rd party apps now. Any advice? Thanks in advanced.
    05-05-09 01:47 PM
    Any ideas why Mobile Bartender and Magic 8 Ball apps won't allow me to install on the new Storm? I am switching from old Storm to new Storm, and the two apps show up in the DM, but it does not allow me to check them to be installed.
    Thanks

OH yea, all other apps switched over fine.
    05-05-09 06:10 PM
    ok sir! good post!
    05-07-09 01:50 AM
    to restore i went to application loader ---> add remove application but there is no "add" button. only browse.

i tried the browse button, picked mypin.alx and press next. it says "no additional application for your device to be found"

Help Please !!!
    05-07-09 04:10 AM
    got it. !!! just looked for the folder (with Pin#) where the mypin.alx is and then choose while all the other applications are there.

Thanks all for posting ang giving the directions......
    05-07-09 04:22 AM
    Awesome instructions, thanks! Worked perfectly.
    05-08-09 03:03 PM
    I'm about to try my first upgrade.
    I just backed up my 3rd parties and found both the PIN folder and the PIN.alx.
    I have moved the PIN folder to a subfolder in My Documents but when I try to move the PIN.alx file to the same folder I get the error "Cannot move file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    According the the Search Results window, PIN.alx is a 5kb file. But when I check the Properties on PIN.alx it shows as 0kb.
    Help?
    Thanks.

EDIT:
    Okay....this is odd. While waiting for a reply I tried going directly into the Temp folder where PIN.alx was showing as located to try to move it from there rather than from the Search Window as worked for the PIN folder. When I got into that Temp folder I heard the hard drive begin to work and all of a sudden the PIN.alx was no longer in the Temp folder but in the folder that I'd set up to hold the PIN folder.

Well, here we go.......
    Last edited by Noscitare; 05-10-09 at 09:30 AM.
    05-10-09 08:54 AM
    This worked great! I bricked my Storm a few weeks ago and lost some apps, which my friend had on his. I was able to reinstall them from his backup. Crucial, YOU RULE!
    05-13-09 10:05 AM
    I'm about to try my first upgrade.
    I just backed up my 3rd parties and found both the PIN folder and the PIN.alx.
    I have moved the PIN folder to a subfolder in My Documents but when I try to move the PIN.alx file to the same folder I get the error "Cannot move file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    According the the Search Results window, PIN.alx is a 5kb file. But when I check the Properties on PIN.alx it shows as 0kb.
    Help?
    Thanks.

EDIT:
    Okay....this is odd. While waiting for a reply I tried going directly into the Temp folder where PIN.alx was showing as located to try to move it from there rather than from the Search Window as worked for the PIN folder. When I got into that Temp folder I heard the hard drive begin to work and all of a sudden the PIN.alx was no longer in the Temp folder but in the folder that I'd set up to hold the PIN folder.

Well, here we go.......
    I didn't move the files. I copied them instead-no problems.
    05-13-09 10:05 AM
    to restore i went to application loader ---> add remove application but there is no "add" button. only browse.

i tried the browse button, picked mypin.alx and press next. it says "no additional application for your device to be found"

Help Please !!!

I am also getting this while trying to restore my apps. It's odd.
    05-14-09 01:35 PM
    Good afternoon crackberryites,

Installed my 3rd OS successful thanks to all the top notch guides.

Although, I'm trying to restore my 3rd party apps and having a problem. Updated my Blackberry Bold O2-UK official OS release of 4.6.0.451/4.6.0.266 using Windows XP Media Centre Edition and Desktop Manager V4.6.0.12 - the problem occurs when I go to add/remove application in application loader, it freezes at 100% with the task in progress box, "searching for avaiable device software". Only way to end this is to use windows task manager to end task "loader.exe".

I've never had this problem before when reloading my 3rd party apps.

Thanks.

UPDATE -
    I've reinstalled the OS and it does appear to have backed up only some of the many applications I had. The work around involved deleting all temp files on my computer and renaming the folders containing the 3rd party apps. I had problems reinstalling the OS so had to use the AppLoader in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    Last edited by SammyUK; 05-16-09 at 03:31 PM.
    05-16-09 12:26 PM
    Good instructions.
    05-17-09 02:27 PM
    I need help... I can't seem to find the backup folder anymore. I reinstalled my DM and when I now try to make a backup of my app, it doesn't show up in the Temp folder anymore... Is there a different place it save it to? Thanks!

Alright, I figured it out... I ended up uninstalling everything again, and deleted everything I could. Had a fresh install, and now everything is working fine! My backed up apps are in the Temp folder now.
    Last edited by tamazoid; 05-17-09 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Found the solution
    05-17-09 03:02 PM
    i had a problem restoring my 3rd party apps on my bold when i was trying to upgrade the OS via wiping the old one.

i had a PIN folder without a PIN.alx file. so thats like FML for two hours.

what i did is rename all the apps in the PIN folder to *.cod and have javaloader install it using the command line javaloader -u -load *.cod

it worked.
    05-17-09 11:47 PM
652 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD