For those of you that are having issues where Desktop Manager 4.7 does not backup all of your third party apps I believe I have the solution.

Why is it failing? Ok, if you're like me you've probably tried different OS's to see which one works for you and you've restored the third party apps following the procedure here. That's great, however as soon as you restore your third party apps Desktop Manager remembers the folder location where you have stored your <pin> folder to do the third party applications restore. How do I know? The application loader.exe creates a log file in your %temp% folder and upon browsing through that log file I found that loader.exe compares the modules from previous restores and does NOT select those modules to be backed up!

How do we get around this? I recommend creating a zip or rar of your third party apps before you click "cancel" at the location %temp%\<pin> and then copy the archive to a safe location that you can access. I also recommend you never have a <pin> folder accessible during the third party backup procedure. Desktop Manager may see that <pin> folder and exclude modules from being backed up.

So, when you're ready to restore your third party apps just un-archive your third party apps and do your normal restore. After restoring be sure to delete the <pin> folder as future backups will use this location and can exclude modules from being backed up.

Good luck and hopefully you won't have to do OTA installations like I had to today to get "all" of your third party applications back!

YMMV
    02-08-09 03:12 AM
    so will i lose all my personal settings when I install this update like application, pictures, music, etc?

How is this version better?

thanks
    02-08-09 04:12 PM
    Does this save my application settings? Or will I be setting up all my logins and account info again?

Edit - I guess I'm asking the same question as the person above me, but not sure....
    Last edited by dquestic; 02-09-09 at 09:43 AM.
    02-09-09 09:41 AM
    when trying to restore my 3rd party apps with the mypin.alx folder via the app loader, an error message pops up saying ' NO ADDITIONAL APPLICATIONS DESIGNED FOR YOUR DEVICE WERE FOUND'

Please help me
    02-09-09 03:00 PM
    when trying to restore my 3rd party apps with the mypin.alx folder via the app loader, an error message pops up saying ' NO ADDITIONAL APPLICATIONS DESIGNED FOR YOUR DEVICE WERE FOUND'

Please help me
    I too get this message.

Edit: Nevermind, I looked closer and noticed that the apps were actually on the list (just towards the bottom). They added successfully and my phone did a rather long reboot. All is working great though!
    Last edited by s.a.f.; 02-09-09 at 07:05 PM.
    02-09-09 06:41 PM
    If I do a normal upgrade procedure (listed in the crackmem thread), are the 3rd party apps backed up and restored automatically?
    02-13-09 06:55 PM
    if i have 3rd party apps that i had to purchase and get a registration number for will i be able to transfer them to my 8900? or will i have to repurchase them?
    02-13-09 07:02 PM
    if i have 3rd party apps that i had to purchase and get a registration number for will i be able to transfer them to my 8900? or will i have to repurchase them?
    You can request a new key from the store you purchased them from to match your new pin number.
    02-15-09 01:14 PM
    Great information! Thanks!
    02-15-09 08:50 PM
    Sorry, but this does NOT work for me. After following Step 10, it goes through a brief process and brings up a smaller window with a blank PIN box and password field. Only, I cannot edit the PIN box at all (nothing is in there) and I have no choice but to cancel out of the box. Help please?
    02-16-09 09:26 PM
    Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go:

1)Download & install the newest Desktop Manager Version HERE

2) Connect BB

3) Open DM

4) Select Switch Device Wizard

5) Select Switch BB Devices

6) Select Next

7) Select USB & then your PIN #

8) Select Next. Enter your Password if required

9) Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected

10) Select Next

11) When it's done backing up leave the screen as is.
    DO NOT select Next or Cancel

12) Search your computer Folders & Files for a folder with your PIN # as the name. DEFINITELY check System Files & Hidden Files as well

13) After you find it, copy it & SAVE it to a easy accessible place

14) Go back to the Switch Device Wizard page that we left alone & cancel it. ALSO, check and make sure the folder IS saved before Canceling or the folder will be LOST

15) You can now wipe the device with JL_Cmder

RESTORATION

1) After you've loaded the OS go back & run the Apploader & Select ADD

2) "Browse" to find the folder we saved with your PIN # and Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.

3) Your 3rd Party Apps should appear in the Apploader screen

4) Select Finish to load Apps to device

5) Now you may restore other data from a previous backup.

***UPDATE FOR DM 4.7***

1) Plug in device>Open DM>Device Switch Wizard

2) DSW>BlackBerry devices

3) Make sure ONLY 3rd Party Applications is checked>Select Next

4) DM will back up 3rd party apps, when finished DO NOT select Next or Cancel!!!

5) Search your computer Files & Folders and DEFINITELY make sure to search HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS for a folder with the same name as your PIN and a .alx file.

6) Move both the folder and .alx file to an easy a
    accessible place you remember.

7) Go back to the DM and cancel the process.

PIN Folder- Search Method for VISTA Users

1) Click Start Circle

2) Click on Help & Support

3) Enter "Search Folder"

4) Click on "Find a file or folder"

5) Click on "To find a file or folder using the Search folder"

6) Click on "Click to open search"

7) Click on the expand arrow next to "Advanced Search"

8) Click on "Location" and use Local Disk C: (usually!)

9) Enter the PIN of your BB under "Name"

10) Make sure the box is checked next to "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files"

If you do not want to follow those instructions you may take this path also:

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

Thanks to jfksabal for the Vista search process.

RESTORE PROCESS

1) Plug in device>Open Desktop Manager

2) Select Apploader>Add/Remove Applications

3) Select Add

4) Browse to Folder named your PIN #

5) Select the .alx file and Select Open>Select Next

This Tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this tutorial anywhere without my permission. You may however, post links. Thank you very much and I hope this helps atleast one person.
    This makes 2 times today that crackberry has saved me from pulling my hair out. I don't know how new blackberry users figure all this stuff out if they don't use this site. it's truly a wealth of information. It's made for a really positive experience that's for sure. I would have lost my apps because I thought they were backed up during the regular back up. I didn't have any idea that it was a separate thing, and I certainly would have never found the file afterward. thank you!
    02-16-09 10:35 PM
    Ok trying to update my OS with this thread and have to do 3rd party application thing or whatever. I need to know when it wipes out my device, will I loose my games that I had paid for on my phone? Let me know...Peace

Also I would really appreicate it if someone can IM me and go step by step on how to do the upgrade for the OS and 3rd party apllication so I wont mess up..lol
    AIM: Classyboy04 YIM: tank1_04
    Last edited by Classyboy04; 02-17-09 at 02:11 PM.
    02-17-09 01:52 AM
    Again, to reiterate, this does NOT work for me. I went and tried it again and had the same problem. After following Step 10, it goes through a brief process and brings up a smaller window with a blank PIN box and password field. Only, I cannot edit the PIN box at all (nothing is in there) and I have no choice but to cancel out of the box. I just upgraded to DM v4.6, help please?
    02-17-09 08:36 AM
    I'm running XP Pro on my PC and using BM 4.7.0.32
    Getting ready to update OS on my BB Storm.

Things look like the ran OK - but I can't find the files.
    I do find:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Pat Quinn\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync\[my PIN #]

which is a "hidden folder" which was made when I asked DM for the 3rd party backup.

In that folder is a single file: dtconfig.xml. (a 1KB file)
    When I paste it into Mozilla I get:

<configuration version="1.0">
    <custom count="0"/>
    </configuration>

So, I don't feel confident that I have a proper 3rd party app backup.
    Is there something I can try to fix things here?
    Thank you!

choochoopat
    Last edited by choochoopat; 02-17-09 at 12:46 PM.
    02-17-09 12:34 PM
    Can any one tell me why after applying the .103 upgrade to my Storm, connecting my phone for backup to BDM causes my phone to see there is an upgrade for it? Each time I connect, it wants to take me back to .75. Also, my IM apps are showing version 2.2.26 and it is recommeneded that I downgrade them to 2.2.22. Is all of this normal?
    02-17-09 12:44 PM
    backed up 3rd party apps with themes the way it is posted,did install of hybrid 103/106 os. everything went smooth,os works fine.went to restore back ups and get a DATA NOT RECOGNIZED BY DESKTOP error.i followed everything to a T and now this. what do i do im stuck.
    02-18-09 09:58 AM
    I'm on XP_Pro using DM 4.7.0.32

Found the backup file located at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[My_Usr_Name]\Local Settings\Temp\[my_PIN#]

Thanks!
    02-18-09 11:45 AM
    Bookmarked this...
    02-18-09 11:48 AM
    Wow...now that's getting detail help there
    02-21-09 05:25 PM
    For those of you that are having issues where Desktop Manager 4.7 does not backup all of your third party apps I believe I have the solution.

Why is it failing? Ok, if you're like me you've probably tried different OS's to see which one works for you and you've restored the third party apps following the procedure here. That's great, however as soon as you restore your third party apps Desktop Manager remembers the folder location where you have stored your <pin> folder to do the third party applications restore. How do I know? The application loader.exe creates a log file in your %temp% folder and upon browsing through that log file I found that loader.exe compares the modules from previous restores and does NOT select those modules to be backed up!

How do we get around this? I recommend creating a zip or rar of your third party apps before you click "cancel" at the location %temp%\<pin> and then copy the archive to a safe location that you can access. I also recommend you never have a <pin> folder accessible during the third party backup procedure. Desktop Manager may see that <pin> folder and exclude modules from being backed up.

So, when you're ready to restore your third party apps just un-archive your third party apps and do your normal restore. After restoring be sure to delete the <pin> folder as future backups will use this location and can exclude modules from being backed up.

Good luck and hopefully you won't have to do OTA installations like I had to today to get "all" of your third party applications back!

YMMV
    This is a great post and should be mentioned on the op imo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 10:03 AM
    i wrote up a tutorial on how to extract individual apps instead of ALL. you also have the option to do all with my method.

it may seem more complicated at first... but after you do it ONCE.. you will see its MUCH easier.. and FASTER than the DM method.

How-to: Extract Games/Apps/Themes from your Blackberry - Free RIM Blackberry Forums & Downloads
    02-22-09 10:45 PM
    wow this really worked! i feel as if i understand the DM better now! thanks again!
    02-23-09 03:16 AM
    Ok, you are doing everything correctly. Start at step 11. You don't need to enter any info into that drop down, actually this is where you don't select next or cancel. Just minimize DM and follow the rest of the guide.

Edit: see you're making the DM think you are transferring the info to another device, and the DM is saving it. Basically you are taking the saved info and moving it.
    Was having the same problem, thanks CX!
    02-23-09 10:47 PM
    Everything worked out without a hitch! thanks again!

On a side note: Not sure if this is common knowledge or if it's just me being a noob, but when trying to add the backed up applications to the app loader I was not connected to the internet and I kept getting an error message that the .alx file did not contain any date, however after connected it loaded the apps just fine.
    02-23-09 11:58 PM
    Will this backup the settings and application data? I use a financial program called JabPLite and I want to make sure that the data is transferred over.
    02-24-09 01:15 AM
652 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD