If I reconnected to the internet before putting my apps back
    on after installing a new OS, would the released OS go back on it?
    01-19-09 07:30 PM
    So I take it when you do a back up with DM it doesnt automactily do a backup for the 3rd party aps?
    01-20-09 06:58 PM
    i get an error sayingg:

a fatal error has occured when updating your devices software, please try again?

help? lol
    01-20-09 08:38 PM
    what are my 3rd party applications and why should i back them up?
    01-21-09 04:35 PM
    You told:

1)Download & install the newest Desktop Manager Version HERE : OK
    2) Connect BB OK

3) Open DM : OK
    4) Select Switch Device Wizard OK

5) Select Switch BB Devices OK

6) Select Next OK
    7) Select USB & then your PIN # OK
    8) Select Next. Enter your Password if required

Here I got a problem because I the only choice to save is to another device with #pin....where can I choose in option a folder in my pc ?

9) Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected

10) Select Next

11) When it's done backing up leave the screen as is.
    DO NOT select Next or Cancel

12) Search your computer Folders & Files for a folder with your PIN # as the name. DEFINITELY check System Files & Hidden Files as well

13) After you find it, copy it & SAVE it to a easy accessible place

14) Go back to the Switch Device Wizard page that we left alone & cancel it. ALSO, check and make sure the folder IS saved before Canceling or the folder will be LOST
    01-22-09 05:56 AM
    Ok, you are doing everything correctly. Start at step 11. You don't need to enter any info into that drop down, actually this is where you don't select next or cancel. Just minimize DM and follow the rest of the guide.

Edit: see you're making the DM think you are transferring the info to another device, and the DM is saving it. Basically you are taking the saved info and moving it.
    but where the saved is on the pc ? The only thing I got : C:\Users\marc\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\intellisync with folder #PIN and a file dtconfig.xml

what's wrong with me ?
    Last edited by fourire; 01-22-09 at 07:01 AM.
    01-22-09 06:38 AM
    Does this save the options and profiles that you have setup witht the apps? I.e. My profile for berryblocker with all the numbers I want blocked.

Thanks. Joe

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 09:48 AM
    i have a big problem. i backed up my apps on the 15th and found both AXL file and the app folder that has my PIN and i put them on my desktop. then i backed up my apps again today and i accidently deleted the AXL file from the 15th and now i have all these apps that i cant load b/c of the AXL file being gone. i can only restore what i backed up today which was couple of apps. how can i restore the rest of the apps on my storm
    01-22-09 11:25 AM
    Thank you for posting the instructions!
    01-22-09 12:23 PM
    Does anyone know if this procedure will save jabplite information? Such as all of the bank thing i have added to it?
    Thanks
    01-22-09 06:14 PM
    Please sombody answer me ?

I don't understand #12 et #13....

12) Search your computer Folders & Files for a folder with your PIN # as the name. DEFINITELY check System Files & Hidden Files as well

The only thing I got it's: C:\Users\marc\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\intellisync with folder #PIN and a file dtconfig.xml

13) After you find it, copy it & SAVE it to a easy accessible place

What should I copy ? Where is the data ?
    01-23-09 10:07 AM
    My question is that I don't have an additional "add" after selecting add/remove apps. All I get is a start button that brings up all the little stuff nobody wants, like the language stuff. I browsed and added my .alx file and hit next, but am I supposed to add all the stuff that's not checked that I want on my phone, like vznavigator, etc
    01-23-09 04:55 PM
    Make sure that you search the "hidden files". Its been my expierence that's where they are. If you have XP, do a search, with your PIN # being the file name. Also, click on advanced, and then you can select hidden files.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I looking to do an upgrade on my storm again but the last time I lost all 3rd party apps and it took a few days to get them back. I'm still missing a few because I can't remember the correct name or where I found them. So I try your method and I even upgraded DM to 4.7 and I can't find the file. I unhide the system files and all that I even did open search just for the date modified and no lucky.

any help would be great
    01-24-09 06:12 AM
    i used this meyhod but i found the file. if i open with notepad i can see the apps. but in DM i open the file and it say no software for this device. any help?
    01-24-09 03:02 PM
    Does anyone know if this procedure will save jabplite information? Such as all of the bank thing i have added to it?
    Thanks
    You can use JabpFile to backup your JabpLite's data to a memory card. Go to FreEPOC's website and download the full version of JabpLite including documentation. You'll find instructions for JabpFile there.

Best regards,
    Malcolm at FreEPOC
    01-26-09 02:48 AM
    So I take it when you do a back up with DM it doesnt automactily do a backup for the 3rd party aps?
    01-26-09 06:48 PM
    Running version 4.2DM, followed all the directions clicked add, browsed to the saved alx file clicked on it and got a message that "no additional applications designed for your device were found". HELP Please

both devices are 8320 Curves
    Last edited by fridaddy; 01-27-09 at 06:07 PM. Reason: additional info
    01-27-09 06:03 PM
    DM 4.7 using .90 Leaked OS 9350 Storm
    I've had problems losing 3rd party restore data as well after this seq:
    Backup / 3rd party backup / wipe / os install / restore / 3rd party restore
    per these instructions at the beginning of this thread.

A couple observations:
    Since I hadn't deleted the ../localsettings/temp/3048**** (*** rest of pin
    and performed another backup I see some intereting things in the directory.
    I see diff dates on the files some from today (ones that may auto update
    like weatherbug, ap news. Others with older dates (last played game or install)
    I suspect.

Now the interesting part...
    I saved lets call it folder 'A' that was there previously from 1/22 and 'reupdated' today.. renamed it
    I then performed another backup call this on folder 'B' from today 1/28.
    The alx files are identical.. ( now I believe I'd overwritten today the alx file
    from 1/22 so I can't say what it's content was)

Thing is in folder A I see my games, slingbox and other items not in
    folder B..
    I have reloaded these after I'd restored everything in the os .90 load

I'd had to reload weatherbug, ap news, vvm manually after the update

I could provde a copy of the files if someone wanted to compare them,
    I'd like to know:

am I missing a backup option somewhere?
    Why in the newest 'backup' I don't see my other applications ?
    Is there a diff in a APP vs a game on how they are backed up ?

One item (edit oops Don wrote the upgrade, CX did bup) may want to update is after 'saving' the folder
    you delete it from the /localsettings/temp/ (or wherever) location.
    This may lead to corrupted restores in future backups.
    Last edited by jamdmyers; 01-28-09 at 10:06 AM.
    01-28-09 09:50 AM
    I apoligize for reposting an already asked question, but i didn't see the answer...I'm not trying to wipe my phone, i received a replacement phone (curve 8320-4.5os)and i'm trying to get my 3rd party apps (games, 2 different map programs and a checkbook program) on it. i followed the directions twice and each time i tried to upload the apps on my replacement phone, i got this message "no additional applications designed for your device were found". Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by VividLove; 01-28-09 at 08:13 PM. Reason: notice question asked already
    01-28-09 08:06 PM
    Hi, 1st post so excuse any errors of etiquette.

Background: Windows XP / DM 4.7

Not sure if this will be applicable for everyone but I have also experienced the issue that having completed a successful backup of my 3rd Party apps using the very clear instructions given above, any subsequent back-up attempts only backed up 'newer' applications.

I decided to scan Windows registry for a clue to the issue and It SEEMS that if you run a restore it creates entries in the registry from which <pin-specific>.alx file the various applications were restored from ..it SEEMS ... but certainly there is a entry for each application restored and the .alx file it was installed from.

Therefore I surmised that subsequent back-up attempts reference this information and checks if the location and <pin-specific>.alx file still exist (possibly also the .cod files), and if it does it only backs up the newer applications.

Not wishing to tempt fate, I simply renamed the directory where the restore was executed from, rather than deleting it, containing the <pin-specific>.alx file and .cod files created during the original back-up (please note this directory only contained the contents of the files created using the back-up procedure) so impact of renaming is minimal.

Assuming you followed the instructions for backing-up the 3rd party apps then this information was moved from its 'temp' location to somewhere more permanent before any restores would have been attempted.

The impact of renaming the directory was to make the windows registries no longer valid. I then followed the procedure for backing up the 3rd party apps.

The result.. it successfully backed-up ALL of them.

So perhaps it will work for you... it is a work-around and my understanding of the cause may be flawed but I did get a full back-up.

Clearly issue remains if subsequent restores will overwrite these existing registry entries ...

Not planning to install any OS updates for the time-being but if I need to run a restore I will check and confirm the outcome of the impact on the windows registry entries.

Nb. As part of the de/re-installation of DM it may have removed all DM registry entries as part of the clean-up, which could be why this also worked for some.

You could perhaps instead of renaming the directory etc. manually delete the entries from the Windows Registry, but I would not recommend editing the registry directly and as stated I am not really sure what is the process that is actually followed by DM.
    Last edited by stonepws; 01-30-09 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Highlight most important points, rather than my ranting
    01-30-09 06:42 AM
    ooo great info! is this full proof if done right?
    Not too sure if it's fool-proof as you say. I had a brain fart when I just upgraded! I've been using blackberries for like 8 years now and I did the 3rd party backup but then after I wiped and reloaded, I realized I forgot a data backup!

01-30-09 09:29 PM
    Sorry, newbie here...

I'm planning to install .99 and, of course, do a back up first; the first post in the thread said I need to have the latest desktop manager. So I went to Verizon's link and now I have downloaded:
    - 470_b050_multilanguage.exe (which I think is desktop manager software/program)
    - 9530AMEA_PBr4.1.7.0_rel107_PL4.0.0.94_A4.7.0.75_Ve rizon (which I think is the .75 OS update???)
    - 9530AllLang_PBr4.7.0_rel140_PL4.0.0.125_A4.7.0.99 (the newest OS)

Before I start installing stuff, as I understand it anyway, I need the 470 desktop manager to install the new OS. Is that right?

So where do I find out which OS came installed on my Storm (so I don't reinstall .75 if it's already on the phone)? If I'm NOT running .75, do I have to install .75 before .99? Or can I just save the trouble and install .99?

And I guess equally important, is the process any different on Mac OSX than on a PC?

Sorry for the questions that are probably elementary to you all, but I don't wanna break my new phone before I've even figured out how to use it!

Thanks,
    02-07-09 03:53 PM
    Sorry, newbie here...

I'm planning to install .99 and, of course, do a back up first; the first post in the thread said I need to have the latest desktop manager. So I went to Verizon's link and now I have downloaded:
    - 470_b050_multilanguage.exe (which I think is desktop manager software/program)
    - 9530AMEA_PBr4.1.7.0_rel107_PL4.0.0.94_A4.7.0.75_Ve rizon (which I think is the .75 OS update???)
    - 9530AllLang_PBr4.7.0_rel140_PL4.0.0.125_A4.7.0.99 (the newest OS)

Before I start installing stuff, as I understand it anyway, I need the 470 desktop manager to install the new OS. Is that right?

So where do I find out which OS came installed on my Storm (so I don't reinstall .75 if it's already on the phone)? If I'm NOT running .75, do I have to install .75 before .99? Or can I just save the trouble and install .99?

And I guess equally important, is the process any different on Mac OSX than on a PC?

Sorry for the questions that are probably elementary to you all, but I don't wanna break my new phone before I've even figured out how to use it!

Thanks,
    My strong advice is don't do anything at this point except read. You need to become more familiar with your phone and various operations before you start doing stuff like this. I'll bet the farm you have .75 on it since that is the latest official release. Go to options - about and it will show there.

Now, before you do anything else, read the various threads available on these forums about how to upgrade with a leak and how to recover a bricked berry. Not that you will brick the thing...you just need to be more familiar and comfortable with it.

You should have received a software disc with your phone. That will have the latest DM on it. Note that whenever you upgrade, or do most anything, with the latest DM, you should always disconnect from the internet first. It automatically searches for upgrades and does other things you don't want it to automatically do.

Read....read.....read before you do anything. Learn how to manipulate your phone before you start messing with it. Discover some of the things that can go wrong (nothing severe) and how to recover from minor problems.
    02-07-09 04:11 PM
    I have been reading, which is why I'm asking the questions before I do anything. I worked on electronics for a decade and learned long ago to never to push the "red button" before knowing what it does!

Yet no one in either post that I've seen (unless I missed it in the 20 pages), addresses a Mac install or the software itself. I'm not so much worried about it bricking, I just want to avoid the hassle & waste of time if it did--again, hence the questions so I get it right the first time. I have the install CD, but I've also already read on other boards here that the online version is often newer than the CD from RIM.

I'm just looking for a little clarification.
    Thanks mate,
    02-07-09 04:21 PM
    Okie dokey. Proceed as you wish.

I'm probably wrong for questioning why you don't know how to simply confirm the OS on your phone....or wondering why you are posting these questions in a thread about backing up 3rd party apps. But, that's just me.
    02-07-09 04:48 PM
652 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD