Did this with my present BB Storm. Tried to load into my replacement Storm to know avail. Since the alx file is identified by pin # the new phone having a different pin will not recognize the alx?
    01-06-09 06:57 PM
    In doing backups, is there a way to backup your person settings like ring tones for incoming calls and volume settings?
    01-07-09 05:47 AM
    I was trying to upgrade my Sprint 8330 to the 4.5, following the steps in the tutorial. I thought I backed up the 3rd party apps and put them in a folder on my desktop. When I went to add them into the BB after I wiped it, they tell me that the data is not available..for each and every app! No on top of that I am looking at a screen that has a circle with a bar across it and says 507 in small print below. Did I just brick this?
    SOS!!!
    01-08-09 03:58 PM
    I was trying to upgrade my Sprint 8330 to the 4.5, following the steps in the tutorial. I thought I backed up the 3rd party apps and put them in a folder on my desktop. When I went to add them into the BB after I wiped it, they tell me that the data is not available..for each and every app! No on top of that I am looking at a screen that has a circle with a bar across it and says 507 in small print below. Did I just brick this?
    SOS!!!
    Sounds like you did not follow the directions properly. Your device isn't bricked. You have what you're supposed to have after a wipe.

Plug in the device>Open DM>Apploader>Add/Remove>and install the OS. Then after it's done, return to the main menu>Backup/Restore>Restore
    01-08-09 04:12 PM
    I am getting a circle with a bar through it (sorta like "no smoking") and what looks like a teeny cassette in it with a circle, square, and triangle. The number 507 is below it. The DM didn't recognize it at all.
    I tried to call Sprint BB support and he told me that the upgrade was not compatable with the 8330 and to delete 4.5 DM and redownload 4.3. Sprint now is going to charge me 55.00 for a new phone if I can't get this fixed by anyone on this forum, please!!! The guy laughed at me when I told him I was looking for a way to fix it from this site.

Please help!!
    SOS
    01-08-09 08:36 PM
    Sounds like you did not follow the directions properly. Your device isn't bricked. You have what you're supposed to have after a wipe.

Plug in the device>Open DM>Apploader>Add/Remove>and install the OS. Then after it's done, return to the main menu>Backup/Restore>Restore
    I plugged in the device and all I see if the "circle of death" (as described before) and the DM does not recognize it at all so it's impossible to do anything past that....has anyone ever seen that circle and is that the last I'll see of all of my information, pictures,ringers, voice notes and songs. Some that is gone was on a voice note and I feel sick that I tried to upgrade without confidence.......
    01-08-09 08:42 PM
    I plugged in the device and all I see if the "circle of death" (as described before) and the DM does not recognize it at all so it's impossible to do anything past that....has anyone ever seen that circle and is that the last I'll see of all of my information, pictures,ringers, voice notes and songs. Some that is gone was on a voice note and I feel sick that I tried to upgrade without confidence.......
    The DM is not going to see the device right now.

Ok, first go to Control Panel on your computer>Add/remove programs> and make sure that the only OS installed to the computer is the OS you want on your device.

Then Open DM>Help>About DM>Device Software tab>what does it list for OS? If it's what you want, proceed.

Reboot your computer.

If the OS is NOT from your carrier go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader and DELETE the Vendor Xml file.

Plug in device>Open DM>Apploader.Add/Remove> and step your way thru and it will install the OS's Core Applications. After it install the Core Apps, you may restore from a previous backup.

Now I know when you plug in the device, you're not seeing your PIN # in the Dm it's alright. Just use the Apploader and install the OS. Me, and a ton of other people on the site have done this before, and it works.
    01-08-09 08:50 PM
    Do a search. There are instructions here on how to fix a bricked BB.

Unfortunately, this method of backing up 3rd party applications doesn't work consistently with the newer Desktop Managers (>4.5; I don't know if it works with 4.3).

In your case, you'll just have to re-download your OTA apps; usually not a big deal. Of course, that's after you get the OS loaded.
    01-08-09 08:53 PM

Unfortunately, this method of backing up 3rd party applications doesn't work consistently with the newer Desktop Managers (>4.5; I don't know if it works with 4.3).

In your case, you'll just have to re-download your OTA apps; usually not a big deal. Of course, that's after you get the OS loaded.
    No this method works fine backing up 3rd party applications with DM 4.5 & 4.6

And has been updated to work with DM 4.7
    01-08-09 09:02 PM
    No this method works fine backing up 3rd party applications with DM 4.5 & 4.6

And has been updated to work with DM 4.7
    Maybe it works for you, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone. I am not the only one who has reported here that this method sometimes skips applications that are installed on our BBs.

I found that deleting and reinstalling DM gave me one good backup. After that, this procedure seemed to just capture recently installed applications (but it is not consistent).

But the fact that we still have to invent work-arounds for basic functionality that RIM should have included in the DM is inexcusable! For 15 years, Palm pilots have automatically backed up 3rd party applications in a fraction of the time it takes to sync a BB via the new bloated Java DM.
    01-08-09 09:46 PM
    It says "no additional applications fpr your device was found".
    01-08-09 10:41 PM

I will have to do another search. I had looked how to unbrick my 8330, but haven't had much luck with the command prompts. It just reloads the app loader.

I am experienced with palm pilots of old and can't believe that this upgrade worked so poorly for me.
    Hard lesson learned here.
    01-08-09 10:45 PM
    I have seen reports of the newer DM's loading OS faster, any other advantages? I'm still on 4.5 should I go to 4.6 or 4.7?
    01-08-09 11:52 PM
    I unbricked my BB last night at 2 am! Thank you for the suggestions and details! There is a small window of opportunity to hook up the bb to the DM before that death circle comes up and after about 4 reboots I got it connected. I lost most of my applications, but I am getting them on this morning. I will forgo the upgrade to 4.5 until I have someone on the phone walking me through it next time.
    Is there any way to get back the numbers of my bb messenger's memory? I am doing a restore and it isn't showing up.

Thanks again for all the help to a newbie!!

Mmmmmmwwwwaaaaa!!
    01-09-09 10:00 AM
    The one app I didn't get back was the GPS from Sprint. Before I have to call them again (not fun), does anyone know how to get that back. I put all the copied files on my desktop and that isn't translating into a file that will load.

Thanks to everyone once again!!
    01-09-09 10:20 AM
    A faster way to get to the pin labelled folder of your backup is:
    Start - Run - Type "%temp%"
    without the quotes..
    01-11-09 12:37 AM
    Before updating to .86, I am backing up my third party apps. I have done this before with no problem, but this time when I find the PIN folder and open it, I only see the most recent app loaded as well as the alx file.

I have tried it about three times with the same result each time. I thought maybe it was because .85 was still on my computer so I uninstalled .85, but still get the same result. Only the most recent app is showing up.

I did save previous third party app backups, so I can probably use one of those if needed.

Has anyone seen this issue before? If so, is there a fix, or can you advise me what I might be doing wrong?
    01-12-09 04:30 PM
    Maybe it works for you, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone. I am not the only one who has reported here that this method sometimes skips applications that are installed on our BBs.
    I ran into the same issue the last time I "upgraded" and had to re-download most of my apps. I posted my issue a few pages back. Not real dependable and isn't fun when you lose apps that were paid for.
    01-13-09 08:29 PM
    Hello All! I'm just getting back into the site after being MIA for a bit. So I just realized that AT&T released this update and now I'm trying to install. But befor I do I wanna know if this step is necessary... 15) You can now wipe the device with JL_Cmder? I've only seen it here on this post and not others. Did all of you that updated use this step?
    Thank in advance for responces
    01-14-09 11:40 AM

I found that deleting and reinstalling DM gave me one good backup. After that, this procedure seemed to just capture recently installed applications (but it is not consistent).

But the fact that we still have to invent work-arounds for basic functionality that RIM should have included in the DM is inexcusable! For 15 years, Palm pilots have automatically backed up 3rd party applications in a fraction of the time it takes to sync a BB via the new bloated Java DM.
    I am having the same issue. It backed up some of my apps but not all. My first storm which I upgraded from .65 to .75 backed up all my apps and then some. This time I only have a few. It didn't even back up viigo or google maps. Not sure what I did wrong, but this process did work for me the last time I upgraded, back in December.
    01-14-09 02:57 PM
    I've been using this method for a while and never had a problem til today. I decided to downgrade to .216 and when i went to put the 3rd party apps back on, there are a bunch missing. I see the file names of the apps in my pin folder and my alx but it didn't install all of them. I'm using DM 4.6 and not really sure why it didn't work this time. Oh well, the price of upgrading/downgrading OS's I guess.
    01-15-09 10:55 AM
    first of all is it worth it? My BB is only 2 months old. I started the process but when I got to the part that said my apps will be wiped out I canceled it. If I follow the instructions on page 1 of this thread should I be able to save my apps ( ones I've added )? I'm scared!!!!!!!

PIN: 303371EF
    01-15-09 12:20 PM
    Initially this procedure to back up 3rd party apps worked for me. Now I am have the same problem described above. I follow the procedure to the letter and the only apps that are backed up are the most recent new installs. Updates and previously installed apps are not backed up.

I also noticed the directory of backed up files does not erase after choosing "cancel" and closing the Desktop Manager. I am using DM 4.7 with a BB Storm (OS .86 on the BB). I have also reinstalled the DM as suggested above and that made no difference.

Does any one have a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.
    01-18-09 01:51 PM
    I am also having the problem stated in the above posts, I have version 4.7 desktop manager and a blackberry pearl 8100. When i used to backup my apps, it worked flawlessly, but in the past couple of weeks, I have tried numerous times to backup my new apps, it is successful and the file is created, but when i open it, a bunch of them are missing...

Does anyone have a fix to this? I really don't want to lose my apps,

Is uninstalling and then reinstalling v 4.7 a good idea...I'm going to give that a shot and then get back to you guys
    01-18-09 08:51 PM
    My folder was located at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temp

on my Windows XP Machine
    Last edited by Ishana; 01-19-09 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added the User Variable
    01-19-09 03:05 PM
652 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD