Phone Edition is running on the Storm
    12-15-08 08:03 AM
    Awesome job...love it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 12:26 AM
    This method worked great with version 4.2 of the desktop software, however I can't find the backed up folder once I upgraded to version 4.6 of desktop software. I followed the same steps, then got to the point where it wanted the pin for the new device. I stopped there and searched prior to hitting the cancel button, but no luck. There is no other place that the program stops in order to do the search. Any ideas? Thanks.
    12-16-08 07:47 AM
    Are you enabling hidden/system folders in the search?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 07:56 AM
    Thanks for replying Spinny, and yes, I have hidden files and folders included in the search. I also noticed that my service was "off" when I finished. I attempted a call, then a box appeared indicating that the radio needed to be turned back on...I have no clue whatsoever what that meant, but saying yes got every thing back to normal. lol
    12-16-08 08:31 AM
    Heh. Glad it worked out in the end!

ETA: my radio turned itself off the other day, too, and come to think of it there might have been a correlation with doing an apps backup-but I can't be positive. Something to keep an eye out for next time.
    12-16-08 08:37 AM
    Well, still can't back up my third party programs, but at least my service is functioning properly...
    12-16-08 08:39 AM
    Hmm. Where are you initiating the search? Could you perhaps start it at the root of the drive in case the folder is being created somewhere different than expected now?
    12-16-08 08:44 AM
    Searched on Main(C, and included non-indexed, hidden, and system files (Vista)...I searched for the pin, and when I didn't get a hit, I ran the switch device routine again and just did a generic search for *.* to show me anything created today...still no luck!
    12-16-08 09:10 AM
    Wow. Okay, I'm out of ideas. It would seem the only two possibilities are: it's not creating the PIN folder, or you're not finding it once it's created. Sounds like you've eliminated number two, though I'm not at all familiar with Vista. Hopefully someone more savvy will chime in.
    12-16-08 09:12 AM
    I'm stumped too, but I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me. Take care Spinny, and thanks again.
    12-16-08 09:21 AM
    hey guys... hope this helps..

on vista

i found the directory with the apps in the following location

on the drive of your OS
    go to \Users\[profile name]\AppData\Local\Temp\[device-PIN]

viola

12-17-08 01:17 AM
    Thanks for the tip. At what point did you find the folder had been created, was if when the box pops up wanting the pin for the new device?
    12-17-08 06:25 AM
    So when I did this procedure the first time I updated my OS (to the official Verizon .77) I was able to successfully reload all my apps no problem. However, once I backed up again, wiped the device, and installed .97 they would not load. Not the end of the world but kind of a pain to have to go back and reinstall almost everything.
    12-19-08 12:01 AM
    I cant find that file!
    Any one know where it would be in XP?
    12-19-08 01:00 AM
    I cant find that file!
    Any one know where it would be in XP?
    Start>Search>All files & Folders>More Advanced Options> make sure you select hidden files and folders.
    12-19-08 08:49 AM
    so i am having some problems.........................please help

here is a screen shot

what did i do wrong? i cant get it to highlight next so i can click it!!
    im having the exact same issue w the storm... havent been able to back up ANY of my 3rd party apps for the last 3 installs. the older DM actually worked w the storm but ive had no luck with this one
    12-19-08 04:22 PM
    im having the exact same issue w the storm... havent been able to back up ANY of my 3rd party apps for the last 3 installs. the older DM actually worked w the storm but ive had no luck with this one
    Notice it says select new device?
    Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go:

1)Download & install the newest Desktop Manager Version HERE

2) Connect BB

3) Open DM

4) Select Switch Device Wizard

5) Select Switch BB Devices

6) Select Next

7) Select USB & then your PIN #

8) Select Next. Enter your Password if required

9) Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected

10) Select Next

11) When it's done backing up leave the screen as is.
    DO NOT select Next or Cancel
    There is no next or cancel with the new DM, this is where you stop and look for the folder with your pin I found mine in C:\Documents and Settings\(your profile name here)\Local Settings\Temp\
    12-19-08 04:34 PM
    I had the same problem today with the apps not loading. I was able to save them and locate and copy the folder. Then wiped the storm, reloaded the new leaked .83 OS. I was able to reload the normal backup, but when I tried to reload the apps I recived a message "Data is not recoginzed by the desktop". I am using DM v 4.7

I suspect it was due to the new OS needing to be firmed up. I did need to do about three battery pulls before the phone stabilized. I did not have very many 3rd party apps, so I just redownloaded them. Now I am wondering if I had waited for the device to stabilize if I could have gone back into DM and then they would load?

Everything is now working well and the device seems faster than the previous OS which was the leaked .75
    12-19-08 09:00 PM
    I don't get a next button at step 6, just a couple of start buttons, then if I click on the start button to the left, for step 7 which do you select the USB and PIN for? current or new device?

12-20-08 03:15 PM
    Notice it says select new device?
    actually, NO, it doesn't say that anywhere I can see, which step?
    12-20-08 03:17 PM
    Ok, so you need to back-up your 3rd Party Apps: a) because you want to or B) because you are about to wipe your device. Well, heres a How-To to get the job done. Here we go:

1)Download & install the newest Desktop Manager Version HERE

2) Connect BB

3) Open DM

4) Select Switch Device Wizard

5) Select Switch BB Devices

6) Select Next

7) Select USB & then your PIN #

8) Select Next. Enter your Password if required

9) Uncheck User Data & Settings and also Include Messages so that only 3rd Party Apps is selected

10) Select Next

11) When it's done backing up leave the screen as is.
    DO NOT select Next or Cancel

12) Search your computer Folders & Files for a folder with your PIN # as the name. DEFINITELY check System Files & Hidden Files as well

13) After you find it, copy it & SAVE it to a easy accessible place

14) Go back to the Switch Device Wizard page that we left alone & cancel it. ALSO, check and make sure the folder IS saved before Canceling or the folder will be LOST

15) You can now wipe the device with JL_Cmder

RESTORATION

1) After you've loaded the OS go back & run the Apploader & Select ADD

2) "Browse" to find the folder we saved with your PIN # and Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.

3) Your 3rd Party Apps should appear in the Apploader screen

4) Select Finish to load Apps to device

5) Now you may restore other data from a previous backup.

**NOTE**
    Some of the time 3rd Party Apps can be the cause for your problems and might be the reason behind you needing to wipe your device. If you are having problems, this MAY not be the wisest thing for you to do. However, if that's not the case, this tutorial is for you.

** EDIT** It has come to my attention that with Desktop Manager 4.5, it seems that some Applications MAY not back up. I myself, have not had this problem but close friends have and it is worth mentioning. It seems that the apps that get left behind on DM 4.5 are not getting left behind on DM 4.2. You may use which ever DM that suites your fancy.

This Tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this tutorial anywhere without my permission. You may however, post links. Thank you very much and I hope this helps atleast one person.
    I have tried this several times with DM 4.7. I have several thrid party apps. Some are ESPN, CNN, Fox News, etc. Only once has it inculding all my apps when doing this with the 9530 Storm. I added 2 apps today and the only ones that showed up in the folder is the 2 I did today. What am I doing wrong?
    12-21-08 08:06 AM
    Just tried this and I couldnt find the pin folder. There was one in the user files under RIM but the axl file was not there.

Where did folks look to find this folder? Did a search via vista on the entire HD.
    12-21-08 02:52 PM
    Yeah, i cant find the folder either. If someone could just let us know the path in which the folder was sitting, that would be a PLUS.
    12-21-08 09:20 PM
    FOUND IT.^C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp
    12-21-08 09:22 PM
652 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD