*Note - Read entire thread first before starting!

First, a little background:

I discovered this method through weeks of trying to get my 8220 back up and running.

The symptoms:
    • BlackBerry crashed while updating the O/S
    • Would then show the 507 or 561 error screen
    • Would fail any type of O/S install

Methods tried:
    • Tried using various versions of Desktop Manager
    • Uninstalled and reinstalled all BlackBerry software
    • Completely cleaned the registry
    • Tried to update on multiple computers
    • Tried wiping first with JL_Cmder
    • Tried Apploader using the /no jvm command
    • Tried the loading doing the battery-pull method
    • Tried different O/S versions
    • Tried the online updater
    • Adjusted my USB power settings

I know there are probably a few other methods that I tried that I can't recall at the moment!

The problem was that every time I tried to install the O/S, the Apploader would fail while trying to load the .cod files.
    The exact error would be "Errors: Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000005]".

Well, I finally came up with a solution!
    *Note, this is very time consuming and very detail oriented.

Step 1:
    Download and install BlackBerry Master Control Program
    You can get this at mcpfx.com
    Plug-in your BlackBerry and open your Apploader.
    Apploader is found in the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and is actually titled "Loader"

*Note - If your BlackBerry is robooting in a continuous loop, get to the connection page of the Apploader and wait for it to register a pin or say "Unknown". Quickly click next and a connection should be established.

2.)
    Make sure the vendor.xml file is deleted from the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader folder.
    Follow the Apploader installation instructions through the erasing, loading JVM, and loading system files.
    When it goes to reconnect to the device, disconnect your BlackBerry from the computer and stop the installation process.

3.)
    Open the BlackBerry Master Control Program.
    Make sure that you go to the Settings Screen and type "BrickBerry" into the "Enable Protected Controls" box and submit it.

4.)
    Go to the Operating System Management Screen and select the O/S you had previously installed on your computer.
    Go through all of the check-boxes and uncheck everything to just leave the core system files. (You'll be able to install everything else later!)
    *Doing this step will move all unnecessary files to a different folder for the time-being.

5.)
    Go to the JavaLoader Screen.
    Click on the folder icon that will take you to the Save Modules Screen.
    Click the Retrieve button. Click Ok on everything that pops up.
    This will produce a list in the scroll box of all installed files on your BlackBerry. (Shouldn't show much, if anything at this point.)

6.)
    Click on the blue arrow button to take you to the Load Modules Screen.
    Click on the COD/JAD button and navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\"Your O/S Here"\Java.
    Select the first file and click Open.
    It will list this file in the scroll box.
    *Note - Do only one file at a time! You are here because DM or your Apploader fails every time it goes to load the .cod files.
    Click the Load button. Click Ok on any pop-up window.
    Your device will restart with most files loaded. Just wait for it to go back to the white error screen before you start the next step.

7.)
    Go to the Save Modules screen again and retrieve the files installed again. Make sure to hit Clear first if anything is already showing in the scroll box.
    Verify the file you just installed is showing after the retrieve in the scroll box.
    If it is not, go back to the Load Modules screen again and try to load it again.
    If it did show up, click Clear, go back to the Load Modules screen, click Clear, and select the next file in the list.

******CAUTION*******
    Do not load the net_rim_cldc.cod file until very last. This is the primary boot file and will send your Blackberry into a continuous reboot loop if installed too early!

Repeat steps 6 and 7 until all files are loaded.

Keys to remember:
    • Always double-check in the Save Modules screen to see if the last file was loaded
    • Some files may fail a couple times to load, keep trying until it succeeds
    • Make sure to wait until the white error screen is showing again before trying to load anything else when the phone reboots
    • This is very time consuming, but if you pay attention to details, it will all pay off!
    • This should be your last resort method if all other methods have failed

8.)
    If you successfully loaded all files and your phone booted up right, open DM and add applications as normal.

*Things might not look or act completely normal at first, but when you do your application updates, those things should be corrected. At least your phone turns on!!!

Good luck with everything and if there are any questions, please feel free to PM me.

P.S. Please consider donating to the people who made the BlackBerry Master Control Program! They have developed, and are continuing to develop, a great program that is a vital tool for many.
    Last edited by tutty312; 09-22-09 at 09:27 PM.
    09-22-09 09:02 PM
    I tried this method, and was very hopeful that it would work. My symptoms were exactly the same. It ended up not working for me, so I had to take it one step further.

I made a thread detailing how I fixed my 8220: copy & paste as my post count is too low:

forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=3798909#post3798909
    Last edited by wrbusa; 10-12-09 at 12:51 AM. Reason: I found a solution!
    09-27-09 02:35 AM
    I've read this post 3 days too late

I just restore a complete bricked 8220, by doing pretty much the same step, but using JavaLoader.exe from command line

Over 200 cods over command line, LoL

Glad we finally found a way to finally fix a bricked BlackBerry :-)

PS : I've loaded net_rim_cldc.cod at the early stage, but it still work fine :-)
    Last edited by riv; 10-12-09 at 06:19 AM.
    10-12-09 06:14 AM
    Owh ... I almost forgot

One more thing ..

I loaded the cods following the cod sequence from the Platform.alx, then BlackBerry.alx, then Phone.alx

After all the cods were reloaded successfully, I've checked the event log using command "JavaLoader.exe -u eventlog", and checks for error modules, if I found one, I erase that particular module, then reloaded it again
    Last edited by riv; 10-12-09 at 06:18 AM.
    10-12-09 06:16 AM
    Have same problem but everything didnt works at all any suggestion??
    12-21-09 12:03 AM
    Trying to recover my wife's bricked 8820 using TMO's last OS (4.6.0.180).

When I enter the Javaloader command "javaloader -u load net_rim_cldc.cod"

I receive the following:

RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2008 Research In Motion Limited
    Connected
    Loading net_rim_cldc 710808 of 1596300 bytes
    debug: Port closed
    Error: timeout waiting for response from device
    0 bytes sent at ~0 bps
    debug: COM error during Send: (0x80004005)
    Disconnected

Any thoughts?
    01-02-10 07:05 PM
    nice write up this should get posted somewhere else besides here im sure this is very valuable information
    01-02-10 07:34 PM
    Owh ... I almost forgot

One more thing ..

I loaded the cods following the cod sequence from the Platform.alx, then BlackBerry.alx, then Phone.alx

After all the cods were reloaded successfully, I've checked the event log using command "JavaLoader.exe -u eventlog", and checks for error modules, if I found one, I erase that particular module, then reloaded it again

Hi there,

Could you tell me how to open the Platform.alx, then BlackBerry.alx, then Phone.alx files so I can figure out the sequence to follow so I can load the cods files to my Blackberry?

Thanks!
    01-13-10 01:35 PM
    Over 200 cods over command line, LoL
    When I want to send a bunch of COD files, I use a batch file (copy/paste in a text file and save with the extension .BAT in the same folder as javaloader.exe):
    for %a in (*.cod) javaloader -u load %a

Wouldn't that work?
    03-24-10 09:35 AM
    Hi there,

Could you tell me how to open the Platform.alx, then BlackBerry.alx, then Phone.alx files so I can figure out the sequence to follow so I can load the cods files to my Blackberry?

Thanks!
    Notepad or Wordpad should work
    03-24-10 09:41 AM
    It really does take a lot of dedication to unbrickify them. Before starting, someone should really ask whether it is worth the effort. This is extremely useful for those who don't have the money for a new phone and have crucial information on their bricked phone and need to get it out.
    05-17-10 04:05 PM
    Man,i stay wake all night long to do my 8220 back working and it wont work i tried everything that u mentioned.After doing ur tutorial my phone just reboots every time...

Any help??I really would appreciate

Thx
    05-24-10 06:01 PM
    GUYS THERE IS A MUCH MUCH FASTER WAY TO DO THIS.

Go ahead with the same prodcedure, however, sort the files you select by size, then upload all the 2kb and 3kbs at once... then all the 4s and 5s... then as you reach the larger files, do 3 or 4 at a time, and so on... you get the point... you don't want to upload one file at a time, cause it takes forever, you don't want to upload it all at once, cause it will crash...

ALSO
    To know if you have the files successfully uploaded or not, KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PHONE... when the transfer sign (you know, the phone and computer with a double way arrow) appears on the phone, if it turns into a clock before resetting, then it has completed the procedure successfully, if it goes blank without you seeing the clock FOR A BREIF (VERY BRIEF) Moment, then it hasn't uploaded fully yet and so you need to try again.

IT HELPS to remove the cable for a minute before trying again sometimes if you just can't upload... hope this helps... questions? SHOOT!

THANKS FOR THIS METHOD PEOPLE... I FIXED MY PHONE FROM ROGERS!
    07-09-10 12:16 PM
    do you instill the net_rim_cldc.cod after u install all of the .cod files?
    Also i followed every step and every .cod file is on my bb but it still says 507?
    Last edited by dchsjacob18; 07-09-10 at 04:47 PM.
    07-09-10 04:26 PM
    do you instill the net_rim_cldc.cod after u install all of the .cod files?
    Also i followed every step and every .cod file is on my bb but it still says 507?
    ok, don't wipe the phone yet after all this trouble. Some people get this. I wonder why it's like that...
    try going to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\8220-v4.6.0.293_P4.1.0.100 and install any remaning non language related .cod files perhaps? maybe something is missing...

ANYONE ELSE KNOWS WHY THIS HAPPENS?
    07-11-10 10:16 PM
    okay i loaded all that and now is says JVM error 547
    07-11-10 11:12 PM
    ok, so use the JL_CMDER and read the error log... see which COD is not functioning... delete the thing and try again...
    I know, it is soooo frustrating... while doing this, see if you can get a replacement from your provider, if you have one... you don't have to have necessarily bought it from them, as long as it had their logo on it, give them the IMEI, say it's dead without me doing anything wrong.. and hopefully they'll budge... do this in parrallel while fixing your BB
    07-12-10 10:11 AM
    read the last lines after last startup on JL_CMDER error log retrieve function
    07-12-10 10:12 AM
    last night i tried to install everything again now my blackberry flashes once, than flashes like 3 other times the led red light, now when i plug it into my laptop it wont even connect the red led turns on for a sec and turns off
    07-12-10 10:16 AM
    ok a lot easier way to do it... my friend did this and it worked... it looks as if the problem is because of a connection that is lost when the uploading process begins... just pick up a hair dryer, and just before uploading in the desktop manager begins, pull out the battery and sim card, blow the back metalic exposed part of the phone with hot air for 20 seconds, making it pretty hot (don't worry, it won't hurt the phone, just don't do it for more than 20 secs) and then insert battery and start uploading... you'll see how further it goes before uploading... if you couldn't finish it, restart, and heat even more, you know that you haven't heated it up enough... if it finished, then congrats... your phone works again... remember, sadly, you have to this everytime you want to upload anything that's big and takes more than a few seconds to upload to your bricked balckberry
    07-19-10 12:17 PM
    Same here, just heat help. I have rework station. Setting temperature on blower to 370 F, I use medium nozzle (1/4 in diameter) and from distance about 2 inches continue maintain heat so phone became pretty hot but I still can touch phone with fingers (phone was without battery cover, with battery, was opened and I held it from the screen side), while the phone was connected and OS downloaded. It works for me from first attempt.
    07-31-10 05:14 PM
    The Master control program doesn't read my BB PIN at all, although the Apploader is showing my pin at the same time... HELP!!
    10-29-10 01:28 AM
    Step 2 says disconnect your phone. At which point do you connect your phone again?
    12-02-10 01:50 PM
    same question...when do I reconnect it?

and during what function do I disconnect my blackberry?
    01-22-11 06:14 PM
    Same here, just heat help. I have rework station. Setting temperature on blower to 370 F, I use medium nozzle (1/4 in diameter) and from distance about 2 inches continue maintain heat so phone became pretty hot but I still can touch phone with fingers (phone was without battery cover, with battery, was opened and I held it from the screen side), while the phone was connected and OS downloaded. It works for me from first attempt.
    How long does the total process take?
    As i understood, you phone is lying open (back) side up and you maintain heat??

Doing same on 9650 after 507 error, no good sofar.
    02-06-11 05:43 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD