I am unable to install the OS 7.1 software on my Windows 7 pc.

I get the following message about half way through the install:

Error 1303: The installer has insuffcient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9810Asia_v7.1.0.428_P5.1.0.338\Java. The installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator.

I AM logged on as an administrator.

Thanks in advance.
    06-20-12 12:29 PM
    Have you tried right clicking on the file and selecting Run As Administrator?
    VideoFrog likes this.
    06-20-12 01:35 PM
    Thanks for the reply, James. Yes, I had tried that. No joy.
    06-26-12 08:45 PM
    1. Click the Start button.
    2. From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories
    3. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option.
    4. From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option
    5. If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled, you will be asked for authorization prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.
    6. In the Command Prompt window, type the command net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter.
    7. Close the elevated command prompt.
    8. Log off (in Start Menu) and you will see your new built-in Administrator account next to your current account(s).
    9. Click on the built-in Administrator account display picture icon and log on to it.
    10. Then try to run or install the programs and check.
    VideoFrog likes this.
    06-26-12 09:45 PM
    Thank you for the info, Frank. Sadly, after following your suggestion the outcome is still the same.

I'm beginning to believe it has something to do with all the BS that HP puts on their computers these days and I'm just going to need to install a fresh copy of Win 7 without all the factory installed stuff that goes along with a new computer.

I did talk with HP support and they had no clue. I reckon BlackBerry support is next if the fresh install does not work.

Thanks again.
    06-27-12 09:04 AM
    Just for giggles, create a new user on the PC. Keep your current user and see if you can install the OS on the new user you created. It is a simple thing to try. If it works, you have two options... 1. Use that user to update OS's (ouch) or 2. Save all your PC data and reformat/reload PC software/Windows.

Number 2 seems like a stretch. But I do this just for fun every couple months on my PC. It keeps it running smooth and clears all the crap you don't want. I have a 4 year old laptop that runs like brand new, granted I have upgraded hardware here and there. But if you are good with computers it is pretty easy. Just back up all your essential data (Pictures, music, my documents, and so on).
    VideoFrog likes this.
    06-27-12 09:36 AM
    Yeah, Dustinh, #2 is my next step. It's just time consuming but I'm betting it will fix my problem.

And your #1 suggestion was one of the first things I tried to no avail!

Thanks for the suggestions.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    06-27-12 05:13 PM
    Just to put a period on my little problem. I finally just backed up all my stuff, bit the bullet and reformatted and reinstalled Win 7 on my computer. After getting everything back to near normal I was able to download and install OS 7.1 on my computer and it now happily resides on my 9810. Unfortunately, I will probably never know what the problem was but it is fixed so all is well.

Thanks to all who attempted to help. It is very much appreciated and a great example of the patience and helpful nature of those on CrackBerry.
    07-05-12 10:31 PM
    Just to put a period on my little problem. I finally just backed up all my stuff, bit the bullet and reformatted and reinstalled Win 7 on my computer. After getting everything back to near normal I was able to download and install OS 7.1 on my computer and it now happily resides on my 9810. Unfortunately, I will probably never know what the problem was but it is fixed so all is well.

Thanks to all who attempted to help. It is very much appreciated and a great example of the patience and helpful nature of those on CrackBerry.
    That is good to hear. Yeah... Too bad you don't know why though.
    07-05-12 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD