Hey everyone!

I've tried twice to update my OS on my Bold 9900 from AT&T 7.0 to 7.1. Here are the steps I follow.

1. Go to carrier site to download the latest version (AT&T doesn't have 7.1 so I have to use Rogers 7.1.0.391 (Doesn't have mic issues)).

2. Run the setup of the new software until it decompresses and tells me to restart my computer for the software changes to take effect.

3. Backup my phone using DM.

4.Using BBSAK, I then wipe the device which leads to my phone displaying the typical 507 error (No software).

5. I then go to delete the vendor files from my computer. (Sometimes two of them so I search my Computer to find both).

6. Then I use Apploader.exe to begin the installation of the new OS 7.1.0.391.

7. I then use BBSAK to 'Load OS' which is a shortcut to opening App Loader.

I'm able to find my software in the initial selection after clicking Load OS but when I click next, it then goes to a list of applications to be loaded but doesn't display my new OS as what's being loaded to the phone alongside the applications. I can't get my OS to populate in the App loader, though it does at the beginning when I click 'Load OS'. I know it's there but for some reason the App Loader won't load it to my phone.

Any help is appreciated. I didn't find any other threads that displayed this issue. I've done this before but haven't ran into this issue.
    07-18-12 09:24 AM
    Try uninstalling/reinstalling all the BlackBerry items in Control Panel. Make sure and delete the Apploader folder before reinstalling.

Do yourself a favor. Stop using BBSAK. It's totally unnecessary wiping before an install, and only leaves you with no phone, till you resolve the install process. Back up both your database and 3rd party apps via Desktop. If you're unsure how, click the upgrade link in my signature, and there's a link to how in there.
    jweihrauch likes this.
    07-18-12 09:59 AM
    Try uninstalling/reinstalling all the BlackBerry items in Control Panel. Make sure and delete the Apploader folder before reinstalling.

Do yourself a favor. Stop using BBSAK. It's totally unnecessary wiping before an install, and only leaves you with no phone, till you resolve the install process. Back up both your database and 3rd party apps via Desktop. If you're unsure how, click the upgrade link in my signature, and there's a link to how in there.
    Thanks for the advice. Very frustrating time. Would be a lot easier if this was an official AT&T release, but I'm not that lucky.

I'll definitely stop using BBSAK. I was always told this was a necessary evil. Quick question, when you say delete the Apploader folder before reinstalling, are you saying do this before reinstalling the OS or any programs related to RIM?
    07-18-12 10:14 AM
    I would uninstall everything then. Personally, I have never even used BBSAK to load OS.
    Nor do I restart after an install.
    I would double check that you have the OS for 9900 and not something else. Also, remove all other OS's on your comp.
    jweihrauch likes this.
    07-18-12 10:22 AM
    at&t or someone else's shouldn't make a difference. One thing about that though, you may not have caught all the vendor.xml files. Try using http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...e-tool-709922/

Delete the Apploader folder prior to reinstalling Desktop and the OS on the PC.

When an OS installs, whether upgrading or downgrading, the phone wipes as part of the process. That's why wiping is unnecessary. There are extreme circumstances where it would be needed, but they are few and far between.
    jweihrauch likes this.
    07-18-12 10:28 AM
    I would uninstall everything then. Personally, I have never even used BBSAK to load OS.
    Nor do I restart after an install.
    I would double check that you have the OS for 9900 and not something else. Also, remove all other OS's on your comp.
    Thanks for your help. I'll double check that I have the right OS. I believe Rogers is a GSM carrier and therefore should allow me to use their software for my Bold 9900 via AT&T.

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer.
    07-18-12 10:35 AM
    at&t or someone else's shouldn't make a difference. One thing about that though, you may not have caught all the vendor.xml files. Try using http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...e-tool-709922/

Delete the Apploader folder prior to reinstalling Desktop and the OS on the PC.

When an OS installs, whether upgrading or downgrading, the phone wipes as part of the process. That's why wiping is unnecessary. There are extreme circumstances where it would be needed, but they are few and far between.
    Wow, thanks for the detail. Your two posts have really helped. I feel much more confident when I go to do this again. This has been a very trying ordeal.
    07-18-12 10:36 AM
    Yes Rogers is GSM, so as long as it was the 9900 OS you downloaded and installed, you're fine.

It's always stressful installing an OS, till you've done it a few times. Since I do it more regularly than I change my underwear, I don't ever sweat it, no matter how challenging it becomes.
    jweihrauch likes this.
    07-18-12 10:44 AM
    Yes Rogers is GSM, so as long as it was the 9900 OS you downloaded and installed, you're fine.

It's always stressful installing an OS, till you've done it a few times. Since I do it more regularly than I change my underwear, I don't ever sweat it, no matter how challenging it becomes.
    You sir are my hero for the day. Just saying. Using the program mentioned above allowed my find the vendor file and make sure I delete it. For some reason my computer wouldn't really delete the vendor file when I selected delete. I would go out and go back in and the file would be there. The program above allowed me to immediately delete it. Then I could find the software. So ready to have 7.1. I need your BBM! Nothing like instant question/answer service.
    07-18-12 10:59 AM
    LMAO! Glad I could help.

Most days I'm working morning to night. You'd get faster results then via telegraph, than my BBM.
    07-18-12 11:04 AM
    Updating NOW! BTW, not having to wipe the device is brilliant.
    07-18-12 11:11 AM
    Hmm, interesting how the vendor.xml isn't deleting.
    The only thing I would beware of is the 3G frequency bands are different between ATnT and Rogers. Rogers uses the common one that is used globally, ATnT uses something weird.
    07-21-12 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD