Yea, I cut BBM off, worth saving my 30 bucks. I still love the phone but honestly 30 bucks just to BBM is a lot and is not worth it for me. YES i know the package includes DATA usage on browser email etc, but all I used was BBM. I know a lot of people who waste there 30 bucks just to BBM and that's it. It is ridiculous to me just to pay that much to BBM. BBM should be included in my opinion.

So I will stick to Calling/Texting oh well, I still have wifi right haha.

I want to know what you guys think, should BBM be included as apart of blackberry's without having to pay the 30 bucks just to use it? Should there be another fee like 5 bucks, or do you think it should be in the package for 30?
    07-28-09 07:33 PM
    I'm sorry to hear you got rid of it. Yeah 30 is a lot. I pay 19.99 for my data. But I can understand why you got rid of it. It's still a Blackberry. Just download a client to get pull email or something.

BBM is (and should be) bundled with the data. The reason why it costs that much is because it has to go through RIM's servers, just like the email.
    07-28-09 07:37 PM
    You should try Sprint, a lot cheaper on their Data Plans and FREE ROAMING.
    07-28-09 07:40 PM
    Ive heard sprint is good for prices, but the service around here for sprint really blows, ive had some friends with it, they switched right away.... I wish I could BBM over wifi on my phone that would be really nice, but ITS NOT ALLOWED . !!!!
    07-28-09 07:42 PM
    Chaldo, I don't think BBM should be included as part of the BlackBerry since it has to go through RIM's servers to work, as Artemis said, and keeping servers up and running, especially this kind of servers, costs money.

On the other hand, there are several people like you that only use their BBM on their devices, well at least here in Mexico, since one of our GSM carriers (Telcel), offers the ability to just use BBM for $10 dollars a month, with out any data, mail or internet access.
    Last edited by Art_Vandelay; 07-28-09 at 07:53 PM.
    07-28-09 07:49 PM
    BBM shouldn't be free but it should have an ala carte option so you don't have the full blown data if your not going to use it.
    07-28-09 08:00 PM
    Yeah, I have no problem paying to use BBM like 5 to 10 bucks a month, but 30 **** no. I also wish they would let it work over wifi...
    07-28-09 08:01 PM
    don't you have email/IM data plan only? We have it in Canada for $15 a month, check with your provider to see if they offer something similar.
    07-28-09 08:09 PM
    It's your money and only you can decide the best way to spend it.
    If data does not fit your needs you still have a very nice phone
    with WiFi.
    07-28-09 08:10 PM
    Nope AT&T and VERIZON don't at least ... its 30 bucks or NO BBM haha...
    07-28-09 08:11 PM
    I want to know what you guys think, should BBM be included as apart of blackberry's without having to pay the 30 bucks just to use it? Should there be another fee like 5 bucks, or do you think it should be in the package for 30?
    No it shouldn't be part of a Blackberry without a data plan. Since you asked for
    each of our opinions, from my point of view, I don't pay $30 just to use BBM.
    I use the full, wide range of features and apps the phone has to offer that
    require that flat-fee that I pay every month.

If a separate plan for BBM comes around, what would be next? People would
    complain that there isn't a separate plan to only use apps, or to only use
    PUSH e-mail. Where would it end? I'm fine with the way it is.
    07-28-09 08:14 PM
    I mean I cant argue with what your saying there's some instances where people are right/ or wrong. I just felt that way you feel that way its all about who uses who. I am fine now, glad I'm saving the 30 for other things. I still love the Bold Can't wait for the onyx!
    07-28-09 08:16 PM
    The Bold is a pretty big phone to carry around and not have full access to everything its capable of. Why not just get a Nokia?
    07-28-09 08:16 PM
    The Bold is a pretty big phone to carry around and not have full access to everything its capable of. Why not just get a Nokia?
    Why not let the person shelling out the cash determine what they want to
    carry around?
    07-28-09 08:23 PM
    No it shouldn't be part of a Blackberry without a data plan. Since you asked for
    each of our opinions, from my point of view, I don't pay $30 just to use BBM.
    I use the full, wide range of features and apps the phone has to offer that
    require that flat-fee that I pay every month.

If a separate plan for BBM comes around, what would be next? People would
    complain that there isn't a separate plan to only use apps, or to only use
    PUSH e-mail. Where would it end? I'm fine with the way it is.
    I generally agree with you, I love Sprint's idea of the everything plans. But for something as specialized as BBM and for the particular subset of people its designed for I can understand the want for it.
    07-28-09 09:10 PM
    I like the bold so I purchased it, had fun with the bbm, now will just call/text maybe ill add data back on later.
    07-28-09 09:51 PM
    The data plans price is regulated bybthe carrier not RIM. It that was the case then all data plans would be the same across the board. VZW and ATT has always charged more. And I only pay $20 for my unlimited data.

But I understand that people think the it is a lot to pay but you have to pay the cost to be the boss. So if its not worth it for you more power to you bro. I left att because they charged way to much for all of there service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 09:57 PM
    Sprint's data is really cheap.
    07-28-09 09:57 PM
    Sprint's data is really cheap.
    actually they are all pretty much the same. Sprints lowest everything data is 69.99 with a basic setup at Tmobile the lowest would be 55ish. having the 30 minute plan and the 24 data plan with only 400 text. but yeah i wish data was cheaper say maybe 50percent off. i dunno. i really like the getting my emails to the phone since it helps me keep up with stuf and it also keeps me informed on what i have to get done at work say on a monday.
    07-28-09 10:26 PM
    How about using bbm over tcp settings?is that possible?without going through bis?I read somewhere about installing service books to enable the bb browser on tcp..wonder this is also applicable to bbm n windows live messenger as well?thx..

07-28-09 10:58 PM
    I wish there was a way to use this over wifi, haha I would love to do it.... it don't even matter if I have to hack the phone.
    07-28-09 11:34 PM
    IMO, BBM by itself should NOT be a separate charge. I've already got too many extra lines too my bill of itemized stuff, we really need another? I can't imagine having a BB and ONLY using BBM. No emails? No Weather? No Facebook? or CNN? No thanks.
    07-29-09 12:09 AM
    LOL. Touche. I have to wonder why anyone would want a Blackberry if they don't need the very features that it is renowned for. It is a rather expensive option for a phone if you don't need those features, and it is well within the realm of logic to consider other viable options. I mean, why purchase a 30-foot-yacht, when all you need to do is some small scale fishing, and a canoe would do nicely (and mitigate incidental costs: you would save on the expense of buying a yacht, of insuring one, and of having to store one). It is surely over kill; canon shot blasts to your wallet, with resulting sizable holes...

Why not let the person shelling out the cash determine what they want to
    carry around?
    I disagree, for the aforementioned reasons. There is nothing wrong with suggesting that the owner of a Blackberry who doesn't need its most remarkable features should look around and surveil more viable options. Quite aside from the hype, it would make sense from a pecuniary standpoint....
    Last edited by Barredbard; 07-29-09 at 12:43 AM. Reason: addition
    07-29-09 12:37 AM
    I think youj are not using your berry to its fullest extent.. How sad : (~

07-29-09 01:12 AM
    I disagree, for the aforementioned reasons. There is nothing wrong with suggesting that the owner of a Blackberry who doesn't need its most remarkable features should look around and surveil more viable options. Quite aside from the hype, it would make sense from a pecuniary standpoint....
    Disagree all you want but the bottom line is it isn't your money and as a
    consequence, IT IS NOT YOUR DECISION.

As to your statement of cost or monetary considerations, maybe you need to
    learn how to shop. My history:

Pearl: $30
    Curve $75
    Bold $Free
    8900 $6

Total cost for all 4: $111
    , if that is a pecuniary issue for your, seek better employment

I renew my original point that it is up to the end user to decide.
    07-29-09 01:23 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD