Thank you OP!

A newbie like me had no idea and appreciate the heads up.
    09-17-09 08:34 PM
    i have a question.

is there a way for me to keep my pin number from my current phone to my phone i will be getting? i currently have the 8320 & i'm waiting for my 9700 in the mail, is there a way for the pin to be transferred?
    12-14-09 02:17 AM
    No, the PIN is associated with the device, but BBM will update your new PIN with your contacts if that is what you are worried about.
    12-14-09 03:59 AM
    Ok soo I can not view the original paper. Did a moderator remove the post?
    08-28-10 02:01 PM
    Never been spammed... knock on wood.
    That'd be hilarious if someone spammed everyone who posted in this topic lol.
    Btw, that link didn't work for me.
    08-29-10 09:03 PM
    Looks like the page didn't make it. I'm soo wanting to know this information. Anybody has a copy I go through?
    06-20-12 09:31 AM
    Looks like the page didn't make it. I'm soo wanting to know this information. Anybody has a copy I go through?
    The OP has removed it from the website he initially posted it on for some reason.

But there is a simple summary in that sarcastic second post. Basically, if you post information on a public forum it is easy for that to get into the hands of the scammers. Using a script to search a forum like this for "pin: " is incredibly simple to do.

They don't use humans to collect the data, it is all done by automatic bots and scripts.

It is the same with email addresses - NEVER publish your personal email address, phone number or street address as they get lifted from forums for spamming. Email addresses are harvested by looking for those tell-tale @ signs and then lifting any text either side.
    07-25-12 10:19 AM
    Hehe, this should screw with any pin harvesters:

pin: 389dfg3a
    pin: 389dfg3b
    pin: 389dfg3c
    pin: 389dfg3d
    pin: 389dfg3e
    pin: 389dfg3f

and so on and so forth
    07-25-12 10:57 AM
    Hehe, this should screw with any pin harvesters:

pin: 389dfg3a
    pin: 389dfg3b
    pin: 389dfg3c
    pin: 389dfg3d
    pin: 389dfg3e
    pin: 389dfg3f

and so on and so forth
    The problem is the pin harvester will not care and just start spamming those numbers. And if you have based them on the pattern of your own phone, then you are probably setting up other Blackberry owners to get your spam.

Spammers work on the idea of volume - the more accounts they have the more likely they will get a bite. I do laugh at a specific bit of spam I get to my PC from a company in the US. They spam me every month or so trying to sell me a list of email addresses for me to spam. The comedy is this list is clearly rubbish if I am on it, but the company does not give up. Though it does change its own name at regular intervals...

Spammers don't care - they just harass and harass.
    07-25-12 11:04 AM
    The problem is the pin harvester will not care and just start spamming those numbers. And if you have based them on the pattern of your own phone, then you are probably setting up other Blackberry owners to get your spam.

Spammers work on the idea of volume - the more accounts they have the more likely they will get a bite. I do laugh at a specific bit of spam I get to my PC from a company in the US. They spam me every month or so trying to sell me a list of email addresses for me to spam. The comedy is this list is clearly rubbish if I am on it, but the company does not give up. Though it does change its own name at regular intervals...

Spammers don't care - they just harass and harass.
    No, it's not based on my pin.
    Yes, of course spammers don't care. But the more nonworking numbers they have, the less time they have to spend on real ones. AFAIK there's no way to automate a PIN message.
    07-25-12 11:09 AM
    No, it's not based on my pin.
    Yes, of course spammers don't care. But the more nonworking numbers they have, the less time they have to spend on real ones. AFAIK there's no way to automate a PIN message.
    Time is irrelevant to a spammer. This is why they hire time on those infected bot networks. Tons of spam can be sent without effort.
    07-25-12 11:36 AM
    Time is relevant for everyone. There's only so much time in the day, and if you have to manually enter each pin number to send a message, fake ones will take up a significant amount of your time.
    07-25-12 11:45 AM
    Time is relevant for everyone. There's only so much time in the day, and if you have to manually enter each pin number to send a message, fake ones will take up a significant amount of your time.
    There is no way someone is typing these things in by hand. It will be done as an automated process somewhere. It is the only way to make money out of it.

If this really is a manual process, then labour is very cheap in the East. This is where all the CAPTCHAs get cracked now. Or where those "Microsoft" fake support calls come from. The Scammer will always find a way. A Global Labour force is a dream for them.

We have a planet wide communications system now. Scams are run where the labour is the cheapest and aimed at the places where the potential financial gains are the greatest.

P.S. I don't dare click on your goo.gl link in your PIN ;D I hope that goes to some nasty spyware infection.
    Last edited by Batter Pudding; 07-25-12 at 11:54 AM.
    07-25-12 11:51 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD