I installed the leaked 7.1.0.342 on my new Bold. But, I can't get mobile hotspot to work. I've called AT&T and at the end of the day, this is what I can determine: They do not presently support mobile hotspot on BlackBerry handsets.

You can get it to work by changing to a different plan, a Data Pro with mobile hotspot, but, I'm on a BES, 5GB + Tethering plan. USB tethering works. But, mobile hotspot doesn't. My peer group at work using other carriers (e.g. Verizon & Sprint) is able to use their mobile hotspot with no problems. I just can't get it to work on AT&T.

Since this is a brand new device I requested a change to another carrier. My IT department replied with two separate emails:

1) "Your device will be getting the hot spot also but it will be on the next RIM software update that should be happening soon."
    2) "AT&T has been working on the next version of their OS for some time now. We expect to have it within the next 30 days or so. Given this we see no reason to change vendors as the Hot Spot feature is a new alternative that just became available."

What do you think about this?
    A) is it correct that AT&T mobile hotspot does not work with the current OS and a BES plan?
    B) is it likely that AT&T will release a new OS very soon that will enable that feature?
    Last edited by Dim-Ize; 03-28-12 at 09:20 AM.
    JORENO likes this.
    03-28-12 09:17 AM
    I'm running 7.1.0.205 on my 9860 (at&t) with the BES data+tethering. Hot spot works, but sometimes the phone locks up or won't permit connections on the Mobile Hotspot. A reboot or battery pull fixes it.
    04-05-12 10:26 PM
    I'm on a BES grandfathered unlimited plan and 7.1.0.284 has a functional hotspot on AT&T. Make sure you use the correct APN settings (i.e., "phone" doesn't work).
    04-05-12 10:34 PM
    2) "AT&T has been working on the next version of their OS for some time now. We expect to have it within the next 30 days or so.

TIC TOCK
    04-07-12 08:17 AM
    ATT is doing as it has done the past couple of years. Try to figure out a way to block it if you do not pay for it.

I for the life of me do not understand why anyone with a BB would stay with the Dark Side of the Cell World. ATT.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 04-09-12 at 06:38 AM.
    04-08-12 07:33 PM
    I have AT&T and if you have a playbook you don't need the tethering feature you can use your playbook without being blocked.
    04-21-12 12:26 PM
    I have AT&T and if you have a playbook you don't need the tethering feature you can use your playbook without being blocked.
    What does that have to do with tis thread?
    04-21-12 02:18 PM
    Because if he's using his playbook he shouldn't care about the tethering unless he's trying to use other devices.
    04-22-12 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD