As I uderstand it, T-mobile may be a ways off from officially releasing. I was curious on how many have updated their OS. Any issues, problems, concerns?

Thanks much
    03-03-10 07:08 PM
    I've had it since it came out and love it!! Everything I use works perfectly on it. I highly recommend upgrading!
    03-04-10 11:13 AM
    No worries - I encourage you to upgrade. Just follow the instructions, and you'll be fine.
    03-04-10 11:28 AM
    Liked it when I had it... until .461 was released and then I upgraded... I liked .461 and did not have an issue with the lock button, because I did not use the lock button.

Yesterday I upgraded to the 9700... hence the new device next to my avatar.
    03-04-10 01:28 PM
    I have .411 since it came out and I've been really happy with it. I'm thinking of doing an upgrade to a newer OS that came out...but I'm waiting until some more reviews come back on it.
    03-04-10 02:17 PM
    Using .411 and it works fine. The browser lags/freezes sometimes. I upgraded to .461 and then .509 but noticed there was an SMS issue with those two so I'm back to using .411. The browser lag/freeze is the only issue I have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-10 02:52 PM
    I have been running .411 since it was officially released. I'm pleased with it and it works fine. I haven't had a reason to move up to .509 based on the feedback I've read. Any 5.x is way better than a 4.6.x IMHO.
    03-04-10 02:57 PM
    Using .411 and loving it. Kinda mad I took so long to upgrade. I stayed with .411 because I do use my lock button and i didn't want to lose that with .461. Personally I got tired of waiting for T-Mo to upgrade as I watched all these other carriers do it...
    03-04-10 03:52 PM
    On .411 I started having issues where every time I'd plug the charger in, a white screen would appear and the device would freeze. Took awhile to get used to the threaded SMS, hated it at first, but it has grown on me since. It'd be perfect though if there was an option to have each message in the thread have a timestamp so I don't have to scroll up and see how long ago each one was sent or received. I'm on .461 now and everything is great except every now and then, an SMS thread doesn't want to open. The lock button issue wasn't that big of a deal, I've gotten used to using the standby button now. Haven't decided if I'm going up to .509 yet as I've been mostly pleased with .464.
    03-04-10 04:34 PM
    Awesome all. Thanks for the feedback. It has helped tremendously. I've never upgraded the OS before but will give it a shot now.

Marfaboy -
    You referenced "instructions". What instructions would these be? Sorry completely new to upgrading an OS.

Thanks!
    03-04-10 05:26 PM
    I've had 5.0.0.461 since Monday and I love it.

EC99SS: Just search for how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os here and it will come up
    03-04-10 06:30 PM
    Yep searched for it found it

Also so is the only problem with the .461 the inability to use the lock feature? Damn I use it constantly.
    03-04-10 07:56 PM
    I've had an 8900 since T-Mobile first started carrying them in the retail stores. I've upgraded to virtually every leaked OS version. The earliest 5.0 releases were fair, but 411 was good, 461 better -- and I've been running 509 since it was released and love it. I wouldn't hesitate -- just make sure you read up on the process, back up your apps and blackberry databases and any files you may have stored in phone memory and allow enough time. You should be fine -- and the move from 4.x to the 5.x OS's made my 8900 feel like a new phone. Enjoy!
    03-05-10 07:41 AM
    What would be the best app to wipe and install with. I have had issues with JLcmder with other devices. I don't know whether it would be better to use something else or not. I would like to hear suggestions before I be bold enough to try it on this 8900.
    03-05-10 11:01 AM
    What would be the best app to wipe and install with. I have had issues with JLcmder with other devices. I don't know whether it would be better to use something else or not. I would like to hear suggestions before I be bold enough to try it on this 8900.
    So far, I've only used Blackberry Desktop Manager or called AppLoader directly (normally invoked by DM) to actually LOAD a new OS. For wiping, I've used BBSAK or CrackMem.

CrackMem is a convenient way to remove the Vendor.xml and other extraneous items you may not want, such as the sample video, pre-loaded wallpaper, carrier themes, TTY, various RIM-provided instant messengers, verizon navigator, PTT for AT&T, games, etc.

My general approach has been to:

- download and install the new OS version to my PC. I generally keep no more than 3 versions installed on the PC at any given time (no specific reason for that limit, other than removing clutter and knowing that I'll never fall back farther than that)...

- back up all my blackberry databases using the backup/restore feature of BB desktop manager (DM) -- just in case...

- backup all my installed apps using BBSAK -- just in case DM / AppLoader mess up doing it themselves.

- disconnect my internet connection (generally just disable my local internet connection) -- because newer versions of DM may connect to the internet to see what OS your branded device is SUPPOSED to be running, and it gives up quickly if you're not connected to the net -- this helps avoid having DM tell you there's nothing available for your device to load...

- twice I've used BBSAK to wipe the device before an OS load, but the other 10 or 12 times I didn't bother, and I've been fine both ways. Really don't know that a wipe is at all needed (didn't do it for the last two upgrades to 5.x, most recently 5.0.0.509).

- use either DM and let it find the new OS to load, or fire up AppLoader directly.

- allow it to do the upgrade, during which it also does a device backup, loads the OS, restores your apps and data (if all is well) and reboots your device (twice during the whole sequence).

The first time I was nervous, so in each of the two backup steps above I did two different backups to different locations -- just to be sure I had usable backups in case something failed or one backup was unreadable. In the end, but precautions were not needed. But we arrange for insurance...just in case. Better safe, etc.

Scary the first time you attempt this, especially if you don't have an experienced friend guiding you through it. But after doing it you'll realize it's nowhere near as scary or mysterious as it seemed at first. Also -- if you read up on the subject, you'll find articles telling you how to recover a "bricked" blackberry, e.g., wipe and install again from scratch. You can almost always recover, unless the hardware itself is damaged.

Overall -- I find it a stable, repeatable process, and no stress over the possibility of hurting the device, as it's just about always recoverable even if you do make a mistake.

- remove vendor.xml, either manually or via CrackMem
    03-07-10 02:56 PM

I upgraded from 4.6 to 5.0..509 three days ago and have had absolute no obvious issues. T-Mobile will not be issuing an official release for V 5.0 because they have discontinued this model for new sales.

03-10-10 04:43 PM
    This may sound silly, but do you NEED 5.0 DM to upgrade to a 5.0 OS smoothly? I updated to 5.0.0.348 with the 4.6DM and it just occurred to me that's probably the reason when rebooting the phone it got stuck.
    03-16-10 11:56 PM
    Where is the link for the upgrade?
    03-31-10 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD