I had a license for and ran BES 5.0 Express on Small Business Server 2008 about 5 yrs ago with a number of 93xx devices and a couple 7270's connected. It ran well and even the 72xx devices would succeed at enterprise activation.

I pulled out the 93xx devices and have tried building a copy of the old server using SBS 2008 and the BES 5.0 Express license. (plan to use the devices over wifi) Everything appears to install properly, SRP authentication passes, and I can assign activation passwords to the users. When I go to do an activation on the device, I specify the activation server, see a connection come across on TCP 4101, and see a successful connection in the ROUT Blackberry Router log. Ports 3101 and 4101 are forwarded in on the internet connection.

Yet the activation appears to time out. When attempting to activate using Web Desktop, it detects the device and fails with an unspecified error. That leads me to believe the problem is somewhere on the BES server and not with the Blackberry Router service.

Does anyone still have a BES 5.x install working? I'm wondering if something has changed in the last few years with RIM that would prevent this from working.

Also, are there any specific DNS settings required for the wireless activation to succeed?

TIA, Kenny
    08-24-20 11:30 AM
    Have no idea if anyone is still actively trying to use BESX.... there is a Device Management forum here where Administrators use to post. https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...y-suites-f460/

But I taught BESx had been phased out.... if you do a search, can't find much on it past 2013.

But that just might because no one could keep using it, other than for fun. Being stuck on Exchange 10 was a no go, being stuck on old phones with a number of security issues was a big problem and carrier's started charging more for BIS. before giving it away for free.

Really don't know if the activation process works anymore...
    08-24-20 03:39 PM
    Have no idea if anyone is still actively trying to use BESX.... there is a Device Management forum here where Administrators use to post. https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...y-suites-f460/

But I taught BESx had been phased out.... if you do a search, can't find much on it past 2013.

But that just might because no one could keep using it, other than for fun. Being stuck on Exchange 10 was a no go, being stuck on old phones with a number of security issues was a big problem and carrier's started charging more for BIS. before giving it away for free.

Really don't know if the activation process works anymore...
    Doesn't BES still need BIS underlying plan or does BES satisfy that requirement standalone?
    08-24-20 08:19 PM
    When I was running it around 2015, I think I had the 93xx's running on Tracphone. They provided the BIS plan for the devices.

The 7270's are the older wifi-only model and were able to activate against that server, though. I need to figure out how to get the Enterprise Activation icon back on the 7270 and see if it still works.
    08-25-20 10:14 AM