So, I one of the many Verizon Tour owners who have officially grown tired of waiting for Verizon to release an official 5.0 OS. I'm not one to download leaks, but an official from another carrier is pretty intruiging. So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone loaded the Sprint OS to your Verizon Tour? If so, how is it done PROPERLY?

2. Have you had any issues with it?

3. Do all of your major apps work properly (Facebook, BerryWeather, Ubertwitter, etc.)? Have you come across any apps that were working before and don't work since installing this OS?

I appreciate all feedback. Thanks.
    03-10-10 08:48 AM

1. Has anyone loaded the Sprint OS to your Verizon Tour? If so, how is it done PROPERLY?
    I know when installing an OS from another carrier you need to delete the vendor.xml file before doing so. There's a section about loading OS versions in the Blackberry 101 section. Hope that helps some.
    03-10-10 09:30 AM
    The method I use is as follows:

Select, download and install the file for the OS you want to install. Make sure to uninstall any other OS files via Control Panel/Add or Remove programs. If you have a Mac, to install an OS other than from your vendor, I think you either have to run a Windows emulator or find a friend with a PC.

Back up your BB using Desktop Manager. Back up any 3rd party apps you want to using BBSAK (can search for it). I then wipe the phone, using either the security wipe feature on the phone, or using a program like JL_Cmder, BBSAK, etc.

Now open "C:/program files/Common Files/Research In Motion/Apploader" and delete "vendor.xml". Now in that same folder, run "loader.exe". This will install the new OS for you.

Then you will need to open DM and restore your data from the backup you made earlier in this process. You can then restore the 3rd party apps from BBSAK if you backed them up, otherwise re-download them, and you're good to go.

The process is so easy, it won't hurt you to try other OS' or hybrids if you get bored. It only takes a little while to backup, wipe, and reinstall...
    03-10-10 10:50 AM
    Thanks man. I'm gon give it a try in a little bit. Has anyone had any issues with using the Sprint 5.0 on the Verizon Tour?
    03-10-10 11:37 AM
    Thanks man. I'm gon give it a try in a little bit. Has anyone had any issues with using the Sprint 5.0 on the Verizon Tour?
    I just updated to 5.0 on my verizon tour using the official .484 Sprint release and its been working GREAT!
    I had lots of problems using DM to try to do it, but after I found the vendor xml file and deleted it, I downloaded BBSAK (highly recommend!) And just clicked "load os" and it instantly found 5.0 on my computer and updated quick and easy.

When my bb started up again there was a message that some of my apps had to be updated for 5.0 (facebook, ubertwitter, etc.). I clicked update and it did it all for me.

I haven't had any problems at all with apps I'm using or anything. And the phone has been working flawlessly

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 11:57 AM
    I just loaded the Sprint 5.0 OS on my friend's Verizon Tour and it went through flawlessly. Just make sure to delete the vendor.xml file and it should go through fine.
    03-10-10 12:17 PM
    I have the Sprint OS on mine and I agree it's been great. (i dont have berry weather). The only issue for me like many others has been the battery drain. I'm all for waiting if it means Verizon is taking a while because they want to find a solution before they release theirs. It's not like we have NO options.
    03-10-10 04:30 PM
    I updated mine as well & experienced an incredible battery drain throughout the day. The OS is great but battery life is awful.
    03-10-10 04:55 PM
    i suggest a driphter hybrid, which will better maximize your phone and reportedly works great on big red.
    03-10-10 08:14 PM
    I run 484 with the 419 radio and I get great battery life. 1%-1.5% avg per hr.
    03-10-10 08:28 PM
    I'm sure It will run the same as a Sprint tour, OS's are device dependant, not carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-10 07:58 AM
    Thanks guys. I think i'm gon give it a shot today (and watch Verizon release 5.0 officially tomorrow).
    03-11-10 09:25 AM
    i am considering doing this today as well. i am currently using a 9550 but am struggling with the touch screen, so i am thinking about going back to a tour again. that being said...after using the threaded text and all the other features of 5.0...i would miss it terribly. shaydakiss, i hope it works out for you. please let me know your findings?
    i am brand new to loading OS's on my own and am quite nervous....
    thanks guys.
    03-11-10 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD