I own a 8820 ver. 4.2.2.124, and the other day, out of about 30 notes that I have saved under memo pad, approx 25 have disappeared. I did not delete them. I hardly believe that an accident occurred when the device was in my pocket and those notes were selected and deleted.

As I have some confidential data on these notes I am a bit worried.

I have two questions

1 - Can a hacker access remotely to the memo pad notes that are on my BB ?

2 - Is there a way to recover the notes that are deleted ?

Thanks in advance.
    10-06-08 04:24 AM
    To the first question, no, no one can remotely hack your BlackBerry.

To the second question, there are two ways you can recover the notes: by restoring from a backup, or by having synched them to Outlook before they were lost. If you have no backup and did not sync them to Outlook, they are irretrievably lost.

It is very unusual to hear of notes being lost. They are kept in device memory, however, so it is possible that a memory problem could cause them to be deleted. What is your Options / Status / File Free amount?
    10-06-08 11:46 PM
    I don't think its a memory problem. I've had messages and calls erased due to low memory but never had any memos and I have over 50 and have had them for a long time.

I can't say I know what caused it but it doesn't sound like a memory issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 12:51 AM
    When using the Memopad, click the menu key and go to filter. Chances are you've restricted the menu items showing by one of the categories listed
    02-27-09 04:25 AM
    When using the Memopad, click the menu key and go to filter. Chances are you've restricted the menu items showing by one of the categories listed
    How do you unrestrict - that is turn off - the filter?

I feel like I am seeing things - one time I enter memopad and all of the memos are there, then, I have to go in and out of filter to find them.

NOT a user friendly app.
    03-07-09 07:20 AM
    In Memopad, press Menu, and select Filter. You can only have one box at a time checked. Any box that's checked, uncheck it. The filter settings persist thru a reboot. Unchecking the box is the only way to turn it off. Once off, it won't turn back on by itself.
    03-07-09 07:56 AM
    At any rate, this is a very real problem as it has happened to me on at least two occassions. It is definitly a glitch in the design and should be regarded as such. The developers should fix this. I have done plenty of backups but they don't replace vital information I had begun to rely on, as you know, backups are sometimes out of date. It really made me angry.
    08-21-09 02:04 PM
    If your problem is just that you inadvertently filtered your memos, they are not lost. Unfilter as I described above and they will be visible again. If that's not the problem, please post more details and we'll try to help you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 07:22 PM
    I just experienced the same problem. I have had some very important memo documents in my 8320 Curve. I was thinking I could get it out of the phone through the Desktop Manager... But then I couldn't locate the memos. So I went to the phone and when I opened up the MemoPad application, I didn't see any of the memos! Where did they go? To make sure it was not a hard reboot that caused this disappearance, I created a test memo, opened the phone, pulled out the battery and rebooted the phone... The test memo still exists but I don't know where the original memos went..

Somebody please help!
    11-17-09 02:10 PM
    Did you unfilter your memos as I described above? If your memos are filtered, they are safe. You just need to unfilter them to see them. Filters are not cleared by a battery pull or rebooting the phone. You have to clear them manually.
    11-17-09 03:38 PM
    My memos from memopad are sync'd to my outlook via my corporate email. I found that my Notes in outlook were being autoarchived from the global archvie settings. I then righ clicked on the Notes / properties, and set the Archive tab to "not archive".

I then went back to Notes and saw another folder called "Notes in Archive Folders" and they were all there. I dragged them back to "Notes" and I have them all back again.
    11-23-09 09:09 AM
    I updated my blackberry curve and the entire Notes icon disappeared. I tried to sync it through desktop and it says they aren't found!!! I have notes i NEED on there!
    03-22-10 09:16 PM
    I recommend using BBNotePad instead of memopad. It is a more robust application than memopad, and it is free. It saves your files to the microSD card, rather than the device memory. You can get it here.
    03-22-10 09:51 PM
    For what its worth this happens to me all of the time. It is something to do with the enterprise sync to Outlook. I have had it happen across three different Blackberries - all different models. About 90% of my notes disappear. I go to my Outlook archive and move the notes back into the regular notes folder. A couple of weeks later I only have 3 or 4 in notes in both the Blackberry and Outlook. It appears to be the same notes that are deleted each time. I have never figured out why this happens.
    03-28-10 07:00 PM
    This Memo appeared on my Storm 9530 recently:

"Identity stolen joke...credit score is now better".

I've only turned on Bluetooth inside my home, and I do not have neighbors.

I did get a replacement phone earlier this year, but I cannot remember if I kept my sim card or swapped that as well.

I am very concerned.

~Dave
    06-11-10 11:21 AM
    Friends, family, or coworkers are playing a prank on you. There's no plausible way someone remotely hacked your device and added such a note. Password protect your device and that will stop the pranks. But be sure to make a backup. If the pranksters persist in trying to break your password, they'll wipe your device. If you have a backup, you can restore your lost data.

How to Set A Password:

Options / Password
    Password: Enabled
    Number of Password Attempts: 10
    Security Timeout: your choice
    Prompt on Application Install: No
    Lock Handheld Upon Holstering: your choice
    Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked: No

Press the Escape key. You'll be prompted to enter a password and verify it. BE SURE YOU REMEMBER IT. There is no way to bypass the password on a BlackBerry. If you forget it, you will have no choice but to wipe the BlackBerry back to its factory-out-of-the-box configuration, which deletes all user data and resets the password. You can then use the phone. This means you must still contact your carrier, since any use will still be charged to you.

Options / Security Options / General Settings
    Content Compression: Enabled
    Content Protection: Enabled
    Strength: Strong
    Include Contacts: No

With these settings, your caller ID will still work, but if you lose your BlackBerry, no one can make calls on it and your friends' and family's personal information in your address book is protected.

It's also a good idea to put a number to call in case the BlackBerry is found in your owner info field. That way, if somebody finds your locked BlackBerry, they can call you to return it. I lost mine in the Washington DC Metro. Because it was locked with a number to call if found, I had it back in four hours.

If you exceed your password attempts limit (defaults to 10, but you can set it as low as 3), you will be prompted one last time to type the word BlackBerry. The device will then wipe. It will be reset to the factory out-of-the-box condition, and the password reset. You will lose everything in the device memory, with no possibility of recovery. It will not reformat the microSD card, since that's not part of the factory configuration. The phone will still be usable, and the operating system will be unchanged. So this technique cannot be used to roll back from an OS upgrade problem.

None of the foregoing will help you recover your stolen BlackBerry. For that, look at SmrtGuard :: Wireless Backup and Smartphone Security, which I believe is available from the CrackBerry Store.
    06-11-10 11:59 AM
    My default was for back ups to include my memo pad. For some reason this latest update did not and I have lost a lot of vital information. Ditto no saved emails. I am bereft.
    05-13-11 04:23 PM
    "Same here" Looking for answer as soon as possible to be able to restore? I have the same issue as the below post in my post, computer and all. My only difference is 9800 version. It was also my 1st time plugging the phone up to my mac. I was looking to charge my phone and it went into an update. All of my other info is there except my memo pad notes. My voice notes, and images are all there. Is there a way to revert and retrieve / recover the info? It was never backed up since it was the 1st time being plugged up. I used it as a tool to write notes in. Very important information! Thank you in advance.

I have the blackberry bold 9700.
    I hooked up my blackberry to the computer to back up my files with desktop manager, & I accidentally pressed"Sync". When I went on my phone after, ALL MY MEMO PAD ENTRIES HAD BEEN DELETED! I had ALL my important information in there!
    I have a mac so it says the the sync account is "Apple mail notes" ... I have no idea where to look or what to do! I need help!

PS! When I look in my previously backed up files, it says ZERO memo pads were saved, when i had many existing entries on my phone?

Is there any way to retrieve my lost memo pad entries!
    11-24-13 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD