Hi guys,

so.. i'm in a bind. I had a bold 9900... it was trusty until it wasn't and it seems to have died on me this past summer. that's a bummer because the microusb charging and data port was busted, and one attempt to have someone fix it had failed and then due to some life reasons I.. didn't get it fixed so my most recent contacts back ups are very old. sigh.

for much of last couple months i was thinking the device itself could be revived, and not wanting to jinx anything, even though I know this was a bit paranoid of me, I didn't put the SIM with my main number (that I'd removed from the dead bold) in any new or new to me devices, thinking that if the bold could be fixed it might be happier with its old familiar sim in place.. magical thinking, i know, but over the years i'd observed some strange behaviors to do with BB OS 7 and sim card stuff, so.. I was trying to err on the side of caution/optimism.

I got a temporary number and a prepaid phone, and set about trying to find someone with microsoldering skills to fix my bold. Fast forward and , jury is in, alas the bold.. cannot be fixed.

Now.. my question..

I now want to receive as many sms messages affiliated with my original SIM (now unused for over a month) as at&t will allow (no idea how long they store them on a server if they aren't delivered.. might just be last two weeks worth, but even so, i'd like to get em)

I'm not really clear if these SMS messages are routed through blackberry data plan/services or just regular cellular service. If the former, i think i ought to put my old sim into a working blackberry. no problem, they're cheap enough now! however..

There's a chance I don't remember my blackberry id password. I know the email affiliated with it, and I thought i knew the password, but .. maybe i don't .

i've noticed that with OS 7 (all versions? just 7.1? i'm not sure..) the devices insist on you entering your blackberry id before using a new device. I don't remember this being the case with OS 6..

if you were me (which would make you *very* nervous about losing any more data) and your main goals were

a) get as many sms messages off your unused sim as possible

and

b) double check that the backup you have on your computer that you made of your SIM card is up to date with as many contacts as are actually on the SIM card

what would you do? would you buy an old BB running OS 6 and skirt the blackberry id issue?

i'm sure this is not as complicated as i'm making it..

thanks in advance for your help
    10-18-18 09:23 PM
    Hi guys,

so.. i'm in a bind. I had a bold 9900... it was trusty until it wasn't and it seems to have died on me this past summer. that's a bummer because the microusb charging and data port was busted, and one attempt to have someone fix it had failed and then due to some life reasons I.. didn't get it fixed so my most recent contacts back ups are very old. sigh.

for much of last couple months i was thinking the device itself could be revived, and not wanting to jinx anything, even though I know this was a bit paranoid of me, I didn't put the SIM with my main number (that I'd removed from the dead bold) in any new or new to me devices, thinking that if the bold could be fixed it might be happier with its old familiar sim in place.. magical thinking, i know, but over the years i'd observed some strange behaviors to do with BB OS 7 and sim card stuff, so.. I was trying to err on the side of caution/optimism.

I got a temporary number and a prepaid phone, and set about trying to find someone with microsoldering skills to fix my bold. Fast forward and , jury is in, alas the bold.. cannot be fixed.

Now.. my question..

I now want to receive as many sms messages affiliated with my original SIM (now unused for over a month) as at&t will allow (no idea how long they store them on a server if they aren't delivered.. might just be last two weeks worth, but even so, i'd like to get em)

I'm not really clear if these SMS messages are routed through blackberry data plan/services or just regular cellular service. If the former, i think i ought to put my old sim into a working blackberry. no problem, they're cheap enough now! however..

There's a chance I don't remember my blackberry id password. I know the email affiliated with it, and I thought i knew the password, but .. maybe i don't .

i've noticed that with OS 7 (all versions? just 7.1? i'm not sure..) the devices insist on you entering your blackberry id before using a new device. I don't remember this being the case with OS 6..

if you were me (which would make you *very* nervous about losing any more data) and your main goals were

a) get as many sms messages off your unused sim as possible

and

b) double check that the backup you have on your computer that you made of your SIM card is up to date with as many contacts as are actually on the SIM card

what would you do? would you buy an old BB running OS 6 and skirt the blackberry id issue?

i'm sure this is not as complicated as i'm making it..

thanks in advance for your help
    I would buy a Bold 9900 battery and an external battery charger, charge it up, and then use Blackberry Protect or another third-party app to back up or sync my data. I'd then buy a Blackberry running OS7 to which to restore the data.

And after that I would buy a Blackberry 10 device, likely the Passport if my carrier supported it, and transfer all the restored data to it, backing everything up nightly to OneDrive and my SD card using Ultimate Backup.

But that second part might just be me. The first part however, I'd do regardless of what phone I ultimately ended up using.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-18 01:13 AM
    Hi TrumpetTiger, thanks for responding to my thread. I long ago bought the battery / external charger/charging cradle and that worked fine for a long time.. but my original 9900 is dead dead, not fixable, except maybe to recover data via a chip off or something forensic like that -- this summer it suffered another, much more serious, failure beyond the microusb/charging port not working. I've had it looked at by technicians I trust and it's a gonner

That part of the post was just to explain why i'm so nervous - thanks to never properly fixing that charging port, i've lost a lot of data.

so the question is all about the SIM i took out of the 9900, and downloading what missed SMS i can from the ether before too much more time elapses.. and the best way to do that.
    10-19-18 09:47 AM
    You can purchase a SIM card reader, and attempt to recover the texts using it. There's also this.
    10-26-18 07:22 AM
    thanks so much for your response!

unfortunately, neither of those options will work , though the second idea is more related to my goal -- to receive texts that are still on the at&t server. unfortunately, I can't do so via the at&t cloud option, I've already looked into that some time ago and it's not possible if you've been using a blackberry, and even if it was, it only backs up messages received after you've signed up.

My question is really about OS 6 and various versions of OS 7 -- i am trying to figure out which ones do or don't prompt for blackberry id after you put your sim in the phone.
    10-27-18 01:58 PM