Let's face it BB isn't the only game in town anymore and while I like using BBM my list has dwindled to my two remaining friends that have blackberry's. It would be cool if I could use bbm client to msg people on other platforms like aim, icq, gtalk, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 01:35 AM
    BBM requires a blackberry PIN in order to work. non BB phones dont have a PIN, therefore cannot use BBM. BeeJive Trillian and other cross-platform messaging clients fill this void. overall, its security, reliability and proprietary. BBM goes through RIM servers. if they were to open it up to other platforms, who will host the services? is apple gonna pay RIM for the use of their servers and services relating to iphone users wanting to use BBM?
    08-18-10 01:48 AM
    Worst idea ever! For the reasons that dictoresno mentioned. Your BB has the other platforms like aim, icq, gtalk, etc. preloaded, or can be installed easily. There's nothing stopping you from using them to message your buddies...
    08-18-10 02:05 AM
    Its RIM's proprietary software just like how MSN, Yahoo and Gmail allows you to chat with only the same client users. It has less problems or conflicts compared to when you have a client trying to handle multiple accounts at ones..atleast thats how I experienced it with Nimbuzz and the likes.
    08-18-10 03:44 AM
    frankly, i dont want a bunch of iphone and andriod users ruining my BBM experience anyways.
    08-18-10 03:50 AM
    The great misconception about bbm is if it doesn't replace sms and mms completely it's nor worth it.
    Wrong, all you need is loved ones and/or a few good friends on bbm to make it worthwhile.
    Bbm is the best way to communicate abroad and while abroad, and very efficient at sharing media.

By the way, did anybody notice the latest bbm version sends photos in a small format by default and then you can click on menu and request a higher quality version of that photo? This was a brilliant idea for saving data, especially with the newer bb models having better cameras.

08-18-10 05:56 AM
    Also, I'm not sure if this a new feature but if you send a voice note, after they listen to it they will have the option to reply and so on. Very very handy.

08-18-10 05:59 AM
    Also, I'm not sure if this a new feature but if you send a voice note, after they listen to it they will have the option to reply and so on. Very very handy.

I was hoping they would have extended the 1minute limit per VN..its annoying sometimes having to keep sending them in batch...
    08-18-10 06:12 AM
    I was hoping they would have extended the 1minute limit per VN..its annoying sometimes having to keep sending them in batch...
    You can but you'll have to use te the voice notes recorder and then send it instead of the send voice note within the bbm.

08-18-10 06:18 AM
    H3LL to the NO
    08-18-10 08:49 AM
    BBM requires a blackberry PIN in order to work. non BB phones dont have a PIN, therefore cannot use BBM. BeeJive Trillian and other cross-platform messaging clients fill this void. overall, its security, reliability and proprietary. BBM goes through RIM servers. if they were to open it up to other platforms, who will host the services? is apple gonna pay RIM for the use of their servers and services relating to iphone users wanting to use BBM?
    Yeah I know it requires a pin and that's fine I'm not saying use the pin as a user name we can create an alias or enter credentials from another platform account to use. Why not have the option of manually adding other platform? As for who's going to host it...who hosts msg when you use the aim client or gtalk client on your BB? I'm assuming google and aol? Besides doesn't all data have to pass through RIM's servers anyway, I mean we can stream music and video, have multiple email accounts, surf the net, download and use apps, etc and your worried about how much it's going to cost? Answer, probably a negligible amount. BB is suppose to be a messaging phone, opening BBM would make it that much better, imagine being able to create a group with multiple people from all different platforms and communicate with each other in realtime seemlessly? Instead of having to go on AIM msg your aim friends, go on gtalk msg your gtalk friends, go on BBM msg your BB friends. Everything all in one place. The ultimate messaging center. I think it would be awesome, and no one would force you to add other platform's users either so if you just wanted to continue to use BBM as solely a messaging app between 2 BB that's fine too.
    08-18-10 08:59 AM
    Yeah I know it requires a pin and that's fine I'm not saying use the pin as a user name we can create an alias or enter credentials from another platform account to use. Why not have the option of manually adding other platform? As for who's going to host it...who hosts msg when you use the aim client or gtalk client on your BB? I'm assuming google and aol? Besides doesn't all data have to pass through RIM's servers anyway, I mean we can stream music and video, have multiple email accounts, surf the net, download and use apps, etc and your worried about how much it's going to cost? Answer, probably a negligible amount. BB is suppose to be a messaging phone, opening BBM would make it that much better, imagine being able to create a group with multiple people from all different platforms and communicate with each other in realtime seemlessly? Instead of having to go on AIM msg your aim friends, go on gtalk msg your gtalk friends, go on BBM msg your BB friends. Everything all in one place. The ultimate messaging center. I think it would be awesome, and no one would force you to add other platform's users either so if you just wanted to continue to use BBM as solely a messaging app between 2 BB that's fine too.

What you suggest would be a full rewrite of BBM, with no added benefit to RIM. Zero ROI! companies don't do that.

What I love about BBM is not stupid user names to remember, or passwords, if I wanted to deal with that I'd use another client, that is what the other clients are all about, people should use them if they want that, BBM is the best simple out of the box chatting solution, there is no account set up just pick up the phone and go, you can have grandma bbming in no time. even easier than SMSing!

RIM allows other chat clients, other platforms allow other chat clients, that is the way to go!
    08-18-10 09:05 AM
    So true bbm was meant for blackberry and no other phone. Its like putting ice in a frying pan trying to let other phones use bbm lol

08-18-10 09:51 AM
    What you suggest would be a full rewrite of BBM, with no added benefit to RIM. Zero ROI! companies don't do that.

What I love about BBM is not stupid user names to remember, or passwords, if I wanted to deal with that I'd use another client, that is what the other clients are all about, people should use them if they want that, BBM is the best simple out of the box chatting solution, there is no account set up just pick up the phone and go, you can have grandma bbming in no time. even easier than SMSing!

RIM allows other chat clients, other platforms allow other chat clients, that is the way to go!
    Oh I strongly disagree with zero ROI. It would be the only phone that had a central all-in-one messaging center. That alone will attract a few customers to BB's. I know RIM is pushing BBM with their commercials but lets face it RIM isn't the only game in town anymore so everyone is going to be fragmented from each other communications wise. It's such a PITA having to flip between clients. The simplicity won't change, you can use BBM the same as you do now, you can still use your pin to communicate with other Blackberry phones same as before but you'll have the OPTION of logging on to your other IM accounts (you can save the password so you only have to log in once) within BBM and have it function seamlessly together. If you choose not to utilize the function then don't.

So lets imagine you create a group in BBM that has a few AIM friends, a few BB friends and a few gtalk friends. Obviously a the session would need to be initiated by a BBM user and it opens a unique session on the server. Everyone can see that message, someone from gtalk/aim/etc responds back their response goes to the server and gets routed to the rest of the group. Now lets say someone wanted to message someone within the group privately. When the session was started they would of received an initial IM with the usernames or aliases of the participants along with the unique session ID (124Df for example) they would type in AIM/gtalk/ichat/etc 124df-deRusset: Write private msg here and send it , the server will automatically know to only send the message to deRusset. That would only be necessary if you weren't using the BBM client. Why is this such a horrible idea? I can't believe I'm the only one that sees a benefit in this idea?
    08-18-10 10:11 AM
    I agree with deRusett, what your explaining (OP) would require a full re-write of BBM, and I don't see how this would benefit RIM at all for all the work that would need to be done. As well as full cooperation from all other IM clients.

BBM only uses the internet as a stepping stone to get to RIM's servers. These messages are encrypted when traveling on the internet, and can only be viewed by the BB PIN that they were sent to, very secure.

All other IM clients function sort of the same way, by needing access to the corresponding server for it to work. So RIM would need to get access to each of these, would google, aol, etc. even let RIM do that? RIM would need to give access of their servers to other clients for this to function too. And I don't see that happening anytime soon, think Middle East news in the past month...

Every other IM client would also need to be accessed by all other of the IM clients. What would be the incentive then for these companies to entice you to use their own IM clients if they can all be used cross platform?

Each IM client has their own features that make each one good or bad to each person. If there was only one then what choices would we all have? That would be like every person being forced to use an iPhone. Dictator Jobs would like that, but then some people would be left with wanting more.

RIM makes using these other clients so easy in the first place. Have a picture, website link, note, video, etc that you would like to send to someone on aim? Hit the menu button, and select "send to" then aim, and go to your buddy to send. How difficult is that compared to BBM?

Finally, one main advantage of BBM is it's always on, you can't sign out. This would be a difficult thing for other IM clients to implement.
    08-18-10 10:52 AM
    If it were possible although I don't think it is, this is one of RIM's meal tickets so nah they shouldn't.

08-18-10 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD