I was chatting with my boyfriend on BBM and I sent him a picture. Once he opened it, he said to me "So, I can see that you've sent this picture to someone else." (I had sent it to him the day before but he said he never actually got it. Other than that, I had never sent the picture to anyone.) I told him that I had only sent it to him and he kept saying that he "could see" that I had sent it to someone else and asked who I had sent it to. After telling him repeatedly that I had sent it to him only, he said "Oh, I must have read it wrong." What is he talking about? Is there a way to tell if someone has sent a picture to someone else before sending it to you on BBM? Is this some kind of app he has? Does anyone know? I asked him multiple times what he "saw" that made him think I had sent it to someone else but he kept changing the subject.
    05-26-11 07:11 PM
    What was in the picture?
    05-26-11 07:24 PM
    No there is no way to track a picture or to see who else it was sent to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 08:26 PM
    I don't think she wants to track it, rather she wants to know if someone else can see how many times she has sent the pic, like a status or something ...

05-26-11 09:06 PM
    Maybe he did get it the day before but didn't open it or something. Is he new to bbm?

OR... He may had suspected that you sent it to someone else and just pretended to know that you did to try to solicit a confession. Police do it all the time. He can't prove it if you don't confess. Unless he actually seen the pic on someone else phone. But I doubt it. It sounds like he's bluffing.
    05-26-11 09:38 PM
    I've never heard of a way to tell if a pic has been sent to more than one person. If you save your BBM history, you could show him a screenshot of where you sent it to him the previous day... even if he didn't receive the picture it should still show in the convo that's saved.
    I agree with blue81to though, that he's trying to get a "confession" out of you, especially if it's a.. personal.. type photo.
    05-26-11 09:49 PM
    Hypothetically, if someone did send the photo to someone else. Is there a way to edit the history trail to make it look like you didn't?

When you send a image in bbm what type of fail name does it have? If someone took an image with their phone then send it straight from bbm is the formatting and stuff different than if you send an image from your media card? Is there some subtle nuances in sending pics with bbm that would give clues to the circumstance in which the pic was taken?

Or... There could be something in the picture's content that made him suspect that the pic was not taken with the intent or under the conditions in which you described. If there's nothing especially unique in the photo that would contrast with previous statements of the conditions of it being taken than he can prove nothing.
    Last edited by blue81to; 05-26-11 at 10:18 PM.
    05-26-11 10:01 PM
    jpg files do not store history logs when they are sent,

Unless the user is on a BES where the BES is tracking all content on the device, a user from a device only can't see how many times a photo has been sent,
    sending a photo or file does not alter the file for the next send, theoretically one could make a file traceable as to the number of times it is saved, but that again would not effect the number of times it was sent,
    05-26-11 10:10 PM
    When he said, "So, I can see that you've sent this picture to someone else." He could of installed spyware on your phone. You could install spyware on his phone to see if he installed it on yours.

Lady with spyware on her phone

Talking about how to get rid of spyware

Another one about spyware

If someone wiped their phone back to factory settings and deleted everything. If said person used a backup of when the phone was infected would it re-install the spyware too? Would it be better to just re-install everything manually after you erase everything?
    Last edited by blue81to; 05-26-11 at 10:59 PM.
    jamie_marie likes this.
    05-26-11 10:57 PM
    Another possibility is that he thinks the file name provides an indication of the number of times sent...
    Jamie_Marie, what's the name of the file? if it's like IMG-20110525-002 or something, he could be misinterpreting the date or picture number as a counter of some kind.
    05-26-11 11:12 PM
    The file name was something like IMG-20110525-002. The photo was nothing "personal" - I had tried on my bridesmaid dress for a friend's upcoming wedding and snapped a shot of it in the mirror to show him.

Interesting thought though - I actually bought the phone from him. He works for a company that sells phones and I bought it from him. He had to order it though and had it sent directly to my house. Is there any way that he could have ordered it with spyware installed? I've only had the phone for about a week and a half and he's never physically touched it, since I've actually not seen him since purchasing the phone (long-ish distance relationship). He had made a similar comment about a week ago about another picture that I had sent, asking me if I had sent it out before but then quickly changing the subject.
    05-27-11 02:21 AM
    The file name was something like IMG-20110525-002. The photo was nothing "personal" - I had tried on my bridesmaid dress for a friend's upcoming wedding and snapped a shot of it in the mirror to show him.

Interesting thought though - I actually bought the phone from him. He works for a company that sells phones and I bought it from him. He had to order it though and had it sent directly to my house. Is there any way that he could have ordered it with spyware installed? I've only had the phone for about a week and a half and he's never physically touched it, since I've actually not seen him since purchasing the phone (long-ish distance relationship). He had made a similar comment about a week ago about another picture that I had sent, asking me if I had sent it out before but then quickly changing the subject.
    Time for a new boyfriend I think. A little too suspicious.

05-27-11 03:22 AM
    Download blackberry protect to back up some important info then do a complete wipe and start fresh with your device. I always do that anyway. Set a password on your blackberry when done and keep it private. A boyfriend should not have access to your smartphone, too much personal info in them these days.

05-27-11 03:29 AM

Ohhh long distance... that explains a lot. He may be feeling insecure and letting his doubts get the best of him.
    As far as pre-installed spyware, it doesn't seem likely, but I suppose it's not impossible. Was the box the phone comes in sealed when you got it?
    05-27-11 03:52 AM
    Ohhh long distance... that explains a lot. He may be feeling insecure and letting his doubts get the best of him.
    As far as pre-installed spyware, it doesn't seem likely, but I suppose it's not impossible. Was the box the phone comes in sealed when you got it?
    yeah just a little insecure

I think this guy should avoid long distance relationships !!
    05-27-11 06:27 AM
    Well, with all the camera whores out there these days since the advent of facebook, etc., I'm not surprised ... Okay! Time to share the pic here ...

05-27-11 06:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD