I've read for years all about upgrading to a leaked os and I've read detailed instructions on many forums and fact sheets. The only attempt I've ever made resulted in a bricked device and I cannot afford to have that happen again. Would it be too much to ask if any of you Blackberryaholics out there are in or around Gainesville, FL? And if you are (and willing), I'll buy us a very nice lunch (Harry's, Vellos, Blue Water Bay, etc) in return for showing me firsthand how it's done. Cool? I'd like to upgrade to the 9930 leak that came out recently.
    02-16-12 03:22 PM
    aww, sorry to hear of your earlier bad results.
    I don't live in Florida, or I would certainly come help, even without the nice lunch you kindly offered.

I would be willing to help by email or phone, if you like.
    02-16-12 03:25 PM
    aww, sorry to hear of your earlier bad results.
    I don't live in Florida, or I would certainly come help, even without the nice lunch you kindly offered.

I would be willing to help by email or phone, if you like.
    That would be awesome, thanks! I'll see if anybody from around here responds, but can I keep you on reserve?
    02-16-12 03:56 PM
    Of course. I understand it would be nicer to have someone walk you through it in person. If that doens't work, PM me and we'll figure it out.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    02-16-12 04:09 PM
    While you're waiting, download the OS you want to install on your device.
    I'd also advise a back up of your apps, emails, etc. with DM.

That would put you a couple steps ahead.
    Are you familiar with that process?
    02-16-12 04:11 PM
    While you're waiting, download the OS you want to install on your device.
    I'd also advise a back up of your apps, emails, etc. with DM.

That would put you a couple steps ahead.
    Are you familiar with that process?
    Yes, I can do that. I'll get that far. I can even remove the vendor file. For a guy who's job is half tech, this is a bit embarrassing!
    02-16-12 04:16 PM
    oh, please. There are no stupid questions. and how do you learn without asking?
    We've all been there, at some time.

I wouldn't know what little I know unless someone helped me.
    02-16-12 04:17 PM
    Well, with my chest sticking out I can now say that I can upgrade to a leaked os and I don't have to wait for Sprint to graciously send it to me. With a confidence boost from cntryncr223, I took the plunge and with teeth gritting....it was successful and took 45 min from start to finish. Thanks to cntryncr223 and poopoo to those who saw this thread and didn't help!
    02-17-12 01:14 PM
    It'll get easier, my friend.
    Next time you'll feel like a pro!
    And feel free to PM me anytime, I'll help the best I can.

Kudos to you!!
    02-19-12 10:12 PM
    OK...well I just tried to install 7.1.0.267 and I think I effed up somewhere. I'm using BBSAK to do this. I wiped device, and clicked on Load OS...it told me that there is no OS that was found.

what am I doing wrong?
    02-19-12 10:26 PM
    Just use Dm delete the vendor file and it should pop up

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    deezy87 likes this.
    02-19-12 10:32 PM
    I don't know what I did as of now, but I wiped device from BBSAK, tried once again to load OS, and same garbage can't find OS or what have you. I loaded up DM just to restore my phone, and it found .267 installing it now. Hope it does save battery as folks were saying.

Hey mervinking thanks anyway man! appreciate it.
    02-19-12 11:35 PM
    I don't know what I did as of now, but I wiped device from BBSAK, tried once again to load OS, and same garbage can't find OS or what have you. I loaded up DM just to restore my phone, and it found .267 installing it now. Hope it does save battery as folks were saying.

Hey mervinking thanks anyway man! appreciate it.
    Another success story!
    02-20-12 05:26 AM
    How complete the backup thing? Will it backup EVERYTHING?

I am still awaiting my first BlackBerry to arrive (9900) and I have no experience with BB whatsoever. This weekend I am to meet with my sister in law and she would very much like to have her BB updated to latest firmware. But how big is the risk? I am used to hacking iPhone, Android and have flashed my devices for more than a decade, so it's just the BB that's new to me.

If I install Desktop Software and the software for her device (don't know which one it is yet) on my laptop, then remove the vendor.xml and backup everything from her BB, how much can go wrong? Should I wait until we meet again in some months and I have some BB experience, or just go for it?
    02-20-12 06:34 AM
    How complete the backup thing? Will it backup EVERYTHING?

I am still awaiting my first BlackBerry to arrive (9900) and I have no experience with BB whatsoever. This weekend I am to meet with my sister in law and she would very much like to have her BB updated to latest firmware. But how big is the risk? I am used to hacking iPhone, Android and have flashed my devices for more than a decade, so it's just the BB that's new to me.

If I install Desktop Software and the software for her device (don't know which one it is yet) on my laptop, then remove the vendor.xml and backup everything from her BB, how much can go wrong? Should I wait until we meet again in some months and I have some BB experience, or just go for it?
    I say go for it. Search the forums here for detailed instructions. I simply used DM and didn't do a wipe or anything. Once I deleted the vendor and hooked up my phone to the DM, the update popped up as available. The most important things are 1. Correct os for phone 2. Delete vendor file (there might be 2 vendors) 3. Do not interrupt the process until its completely finished

From what I've read, even if something goes wrong there are fixes for it. Please post back with the results and welcome to Blackberry. The 99xx is an awesome device and I think you'll be quite pleased.
    02-20-12 07:13 AM
    I say go for it. Search the forums here for detailed instructions. I simply used DM and didn't do a wipe or anything. Once I deleted the vendor and hooked up my phone to the DM, the update popped up as available. The most important things are 1. Correct os for phone 2. Delete vendor file (there might be 2 vendors) 3. Do not interrupt the process until its completely finished

From what I've read, even if something goes wrong there are fixes for it. Please post back with the results and welcome to Blackberry. The 99xx is an awesome device and I think you'll be quite pleased.
    I'm still afraid to do the vendor thingy lol. I just used BBSAK to wipe the device, and when it tells me no OS is found, I simply went to DMto restore a back up and it found the .267. This is probably the best OS imo.
    02-20-12 12:05 PM
    Best is once the vendor file has been deleted is to disconnect from the internet. It seems that when one launches the DM, it looks if there is an update available on the web and this creates a vendor file. Or if the DM is set to no update that is not necessary.
    02-20-12 12:11 PM
    Best is once the vendor file has been deleted is to disconnect from the internet. It seems that when one launches the DM, it looks if there is an update available on the web and this creates a vendor file. Or if the DM is set to no update that is not necessary.
    So in the future you'd recommend that I delete the vendor file, then install the new OS? I think its hard for me to do it using DM, I felt comfortable doing it via BBSAK. One thing though, am I to install the new or leaked OS first then run BBSAK?

I think I messed up with that last night, but some how managed to load 267 in my sleep deprived state.
    02-20-12 12:55 PM
    I'm still afraid to do the vendor thingy lol. I just used BBSAK to wipe the device, and when it tells me no OS is found, I simply went to DMto restore a back up and it found the .267. This is probably the best OS imo.
    I agree that it's a great build. Battery life has improved for sure. The wifi sharing thing hasn't worked for me yet, but it might be my problem in not knowing how to do it. Anything else that you found that's different or improved?
    02-20-12 01:07 PM
    YES!!

You are now able to add a BBM contact via NFC. All you do is line the back of the devices when you pick to add using NFC. I was all like
    02-21-12 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD