So today samsung released some info on their new chat technology called ChatOn. Judging from what i see it looks very promising and possibly a BBM killer.

Check out the link and share your thought.
    Samsung announces ChatOn, a new global messaging service that will be available for Android, iOS, Blackberry | DroidMatters.com
    08-29-11 12:34 PM
    So today samsung released some info on their new chat technology called ChatOn. Judging from what i see it looks very promising and possibly a BBM killer.

Check out the link and share your thought.
    Samsung announces ChatOn, a new global messaging service that will be available for Android, iOS, Blackberry | DroidMatters.com

There will be no "BBM killer" just as there will be no "iPhone Killer" or "iTunes Killer"

The service looks good, it is a nice move by Samsung to not rely on gChat, and try and leverage something in software as their own.
    From the screen shots I REALLY REALLY would not want to use it, it is far to busy looking,

I for one will be sticking to BBM just because of data consumption, as long as my primary contacts are on BBM I have no reason to switch, and seeing as a few of them are like me and Data consumption is something we watch, until someone makes a more efficient chat application BBM will be our primary chat tool.
    08-29-11 12:40 PM
    Meh. It's just one more bug in the tangled web. Many people have already chosen their allegiance to their preferred messenging tool... What chaton does is compete with yahoo, gtalk, msn - not bbm and imessage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 12:40 PM
    Wow. Anyone else think that looks a LOT like IMO.IM for BB??? lol (Ok, the color scheme is different.)

If this works ok and has PUSH, I might try it out until IMO.IM gets its App going a bit more.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 08-29-11 at 01:04 PM.
    08-29-11 12:53 PM
    well, actually there are enough IM clients and social network sites out there, but next to BBM, IM+ (skype, msn, icq etc), facebook, twitter, foursquare and all that stuff i also always wanted a mobile cross-platform messenger (like whatsapp or liveprofile)
    i just want it to be one which isnt always running in the background like BBM and constantly drains your battery, one just like skype etc which you actually have to open to use it, so i hope this one isnt alway running in the background

gotta wait and see if it'll be nice or just another fail like google+ for example
    08-29-11 01:08 PM
    I think it's important if samsung buys webos- They'll need to allow their Samsung Androids and their Samsung Web OS phones to have it in order for people to get entrenched into their ecosystem.
    08-29-11 01:25 PM
    well, actually there are enough IM clients and social network sites out there, but next to BBM, IM+ (skype, msn, icq etc), facebook, twitter, foursquare and all that stuff i also always wanted a mobile cross-platform messenger (like whatsapp or liveprofile)
    i just want it to be one which isnt always running in the background like BBM and constantly drains your battery, one just like skype etc which you actually have to open to use it, so i hope this one isnt alway running in the background

gotta wait and see if it'll be nice or just another fail like google+ for example
    Curious sd to what metric you are using to describe G+ as a fail...
    08-29-11 01:33 PM
    i get it, dont worry trelawrence
    everyone uses facebook, but you just hate FB, everyone got so many friends on there, everyone loves it

you just wanna be different ! you just feel like being the superhero that doesnt use fb, but instead uses G+
    cuz G+ is actually so much better, and people who still use fb are just stupid, too stupid to see the big potential G+ has

G+ was and still is a total success
    /sarcasm

oh and just in case you'll now say "oh btw, im actually using fb"
    well then.. good for you !
    why am i actually posting this? weird xD
    08-29-11 02:02 PM
    I don't know about this.
    But being samsung, I can see they have a strong vision.
    Unlike LiveProfile which went down the drain, with lack of support in around a month.
    Wouldn't say BBM killer just yet.
    08-29-11 02:27 PM
    I like the service and will definitely try it out. It's interesting that they left Windows Phone out. I say that because they make phones for the Windows Phone platform and with socket support coming in Mango, I figure they'd have a client for them as well, at least before BlackBerry that is.

Group chat is interesting... but they need to include all platforms (maybe even WebOS so those users can get accustomed to it when they make the switch to a different platform). What chat app allows for cross-platform group messaging like what was seen in the video? It looks pretty sexy!

Edit: After reading the actually press release from Samsung, it states "all major Smartphones..." and hope that means Windows Phone as well.
    08-29-11 04:12 PM
    i get it, dont worry trelawrence
    everyone uses facebook, but you just hate FB, everyone got so many friends on there, everyone loves it

you just wanna be different ! you just feel like being the superhero that doesnt use fb, but instead uses G+
    cuz G+ is actually so much better, and people who still use fb are just stupid, too stupid to see the big potential G+ has

G+ was and still is a total success
    /sarcasm

oh and just in case you'll now say "oh btw, im actually using fb"
    well then.. good for you !
    why am i actually posting this? weird xD
    I didn't see anything wrong with the question either as I was curious as to how you considered G+ a fail already. I'd agree with Google Buzz and Google Wave being failures, but while not a "success" yet, G+ is heading in the right direction.
    08-29-11 04:17 PM
    Did Samsung design this software? Samsung makes decent hardware but their track record on software is dismal. Instinct OS anyone? Arguably the worst phone Os ever made.
    Ferretling likes this.
    08-29-11 04:29 PM
    I think it's important if samsung buys webos- They'll need to allow their Samsung Androids and their Samsung Web OS phones to have it in order for people to get entrenched into their ecosystem.
    webOS actually has a messaging app already that has AIM, gtalk and some others built in. its kinda nice
    08-29-11 05:39 PM
    It doesn't much look to me like it would be all that great on a non-touchscreen device...
    08-29-11 09:26 PM
    I am a little hesitant to do messaging that is restricted to any one platform. BBM did that to me. I am interested to see how this works...
    trsbbs and trsbbs like this.
    08-29-11 09:44 PM
    I am a little hesitant to do messaging that is restricted to any one platform. BBM did that to me. I am interested to see how this works...
    Main reason why I like this and will definitely give it a shot.

Sent using my Photon 4G via Sprint
    08-29-11 11:45 PM
    Main reason why I like this and will definitely give it a shot.

I was really, really into BBM... lost too many friends to other platforms LOL.
    08-29-11 11:59 PM
    I was really, really into BBM... lost too many friends to other platforms LOL.
    Lol. I know how you feel.

08-30-11 12:14 AM
    If it's like Pidgin Messenger on Linux/osx/windows, then I'll likely give it a go once it makes it in app world, or remains as an OTA download from their website. I won't use it if I have to sign up a username. That will sway me away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 03:05 AM

Edit: After reading the actually press release from Samsung, it states "all major Smartphones..." and hope that means Windows Phone as well.
    Wasn't that a Windows Phone it was demo'd on?
    I'm not too familiar with them but I assumed it was.
    08-30-11 04:04 AM
    Well actually Samsung has been using a prototype version of their very own operating ecosystem, in China/Asia.

My first phone I ever bought (doesn't mean someone else never gave me one before), were a BB Torch and the Samsung Galaxy (for T-Mobile). I gave someone else the choice of deciding which one to keep, and then I got landed with BB...
    I have a Playbook and enjoy BB for the mean time, but I have high expectations for Samsung.

EDIT: I also think ChatOn is way more appealing then BBM, and wish BBM was a cross platform. I also have no friends or family with a BB phone... kind of find this part of the phone useless to me.
    I only know 2 people in my business who actually have a BB, and I work for a retailer that has a union of all 4 major U.S. carriers!
    Last edited by Venichie; 08-30-11 at 05:44 AM.
    08-30-11 05:34 AM
    Wasn't that a Windows Phone it was demo'd on?
    I'm not too familiar with them but I assumed it was.
    I already forgot which phone it was, but if my memory serves correct, it was the galaxy s II.

08-30-11 05:49 AM
    I already forgot which phone it was, but if my memory serves correct, it was the galaxy s II.

I realize your a mod, and there is a BB phone indicated under your info, but don't you get tired of repeating, "Sent using my Photon 4G via Sprint"?
    I mean I see your signature is kind of full, or unless your phone does that auto, I see no point of informing us. Not that it upsets me, just don't see the point is all.

Anyways... I hope BB starts a blogging system with their BBM, or if CB would integrate as a real app and BBM. I'd really like to find a use for this system, and I only see it for things such as this... wish it would give the option to integrate with most things auto, and let the official app be used some what as a Blackbook... cause I see no point of that either being separate anymore as well.
    Last edited by Venichie; 08-30-11 at 06:17 AM.
    08-30-11 06:15 AM
    I think it's nice that you get messaging clients for several platforms. My friends have Androids and iPhones, some even has Symbian. As the only one with a BlackBerry, it's good to have a client that works for everyone. (Althought they seriously don't know what they're missing).
    08-30-11 07:35 AM
    soo Anyone have a leaked version for bb yet
    08-30-11 08:30 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD