BlackBerry + PlayBook > iphone + iPad anyday
    03-05-12 02:23 AM
    My wife just got a iPhone 4S. Our carrier has a deal going at the moment where she could have had a Blackberry 9860 PLUS a Playbook for free, but after her 9700 died she decided to buy a iPhone. Obviously, she won't be back.
    03-05-12 04:59 AM
    Same here. I do notice I text less when being forced to use SMS. I use Google Voice for Free SMS but the BlackBerry app for it is pretty awful.

I prefer BBM or Live Profile.

It seems iPhone users like to text and not use apps like Whatsapp or LP.

Why is that?
    03-05-12 05:29 AM
    Speechless...
    Some people view their devices differently than others. No one in my family has the exact same phone so someone jumping ship to Blackberry, Apple, Android, or Windows phone doesn't matter to us. For some people, BBM is very important.
    03-05-12 06:00 AM
    Same here. I do notice I text less when being forced to use SMS. I use Google Voice for Free SMS but the BlackBerry app for it is pretty awful.

I prefer BBM or Live Profile.

It seems iPhone users like to text and not use apps like Whatsapp or LP.

Why is that?
    iMessage is integrated I guess. And (here) the iPhone plans have unlimited text and 3gb of data per month included for very little money.
    03-05-12 06:03 AM
    I believe AT&T an VZW here both charge $20 a month for unlimited text.

That's a lot!
    03-05-12 06:05 AM
    the biggest problem I find is most of the people leaving either do not know how to use a BB well or have an old os 5 phone and have not even tried os 7. (which is amazing)
    Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Kinda makes it hard to try when there is no way for them to try it without buying another phone.

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    03-05-12 06:25 AM
    Well, the RIM should seriously consider selling their BBM platform to others. One reason why they hold it back is they have to re-engineer some of the BBM code so that it will bypass the BIS requirement. RIM could sell BBM app for an iPhone and Android for let's say $20 USD per download?

This way I get to keep all my friends connected using BBM rather than stupid SMS.
    They'd need to sell it for $5/month as that is approximately how much they make now off of BBM through the Carriers.

What RIM Should look at doing if hardware sales continue to bleed after BB10 in the introduction of BIS Mobile Fusion to have the Carriers support multiple platforms through Mobile Fusion and BIS, then give BIS connected devices BBM ONLY with other BIS connected devices, it would be an upgrade plan option for other Smartphones, and included with BlackBerry's
    03-05-12 06:29 AM
    My wife just got a iPhone 4S. Our carrier has a deal going at the moment where she could have had a Blackberry 9860 PLUS a Playbook for free, but after her 9700 died she decided to buy a iPhone. Obviously, she won't be back.

I hope you don't have kids, a divorce will be hard on them
    03-05-12 06:32 AM
    I'm happy for you. I won't let my wife even think about switching. She knows that I would give her a hard time if she did. She "upgraded" before Christmas and got a Torch 9850 (and loves it) and I bought her a 32 Gb PlayBook for being a "good" girl.

My son and I went to a Wings game in Detroit today and he was complaining about the virtual keyboard on his girlie phone. I was chuckling on the inside. He'll be back.
    great post lmao
    03-05-12 08:16 AM
    May be you are right, but the major reason why BlackBerry getting popular in India is the price. The iPhone cost much more than the BlackBerry Curve or even in some places the new Bold is cheaper than any Apple product.
    As we speak, Nokia and WP are making a major effort to eat RIM's lunch in the developing world. Nokia has the low-end 610, which will sell for a low price, and WP is soon to release "Tango", a version of WP7.5 tailored for economy phones.

Windows Phone Developer Blog
    03-05-12 09:08 AM
    Well, the RIM should seriously consider selling their BBM platform to others. One reason why they hold it back is they have to re-engineer some of the BBM code so that it will bypass the BIS requirement. RIM could sell BBM app for an iPhone and Android for let's say $20 USD per download?

This way I get to keep all my friends connected using BBM rather than stupid SMS.
    WHAT?!?

TWENTY... DOLLARS?!? Youz crazy! Either that, or you have had your perspective completely twisted by the obscenely high prices in BB app world.

NOBODY in their right mind would pay more than 4 or 5 dollars for a BBM app for iOS/Android. Keep in mind that iMessage is completely free on iPhone, and most cross platform messaging apps on iOS and Android are either free like Skype, or costs a couple dollars.

(Im always STUNNED at the crazy prices of BB apps compared to other platforms, but that's another topic I guess)

But anyways, for all of those who complain about losing people on BBM, may I offer you a relatively cheap solution? Buy an iPod Touch! Costs 160$ or thereabouts for new, you can probably find one used for around 100$, and presto! Without giving out or giving up on your Blackberry, you'll be able to use iMessage and Skype for either free worldwide messaging, or free worldwide video chat!

Come to think of it, you'll probably recoup the price over six months or a year, in long distance or international call/messaging savings..l
    03-05-12 11:45 AM
    I'm sorry! That must be saddening! You can always download WhatsApp to talk with users of different brands of smartphones.
    03-05-12 12:11 PM
    You have a smart son. More and more people are ditching BBs for iPhones (except in the third world where iPhones are too expensive).

Maybe you could get som BBM pen pals in Indonesia or Paraguay.
    CrackedBarry likes this.
    03-05-12 01:52 PM
    I'm sorry.. A smart son? No offence to the parent but he probably just caved into an intense marketing campaign that confuses those who need to feel like the rest.

The only thing the iphone has going for it is the apps. If we took an iphone and a Bb10 device, with the same amout of apps, the BB10 would be far superior...

The apps issue with blackberry is being dealt with so once that happens... If someone can still claim iphone to be better, then that person is just delusional...
    sir.dangerfield likes this.
    03-05-12 02:18 PM

1.) I'm sorry.. A smart son? No offence to the parent but he probably just caved into an intense marketing campaign that confuses those who need to feel like the rest.

2.) The only thing the iphone has going for it is the apps. If we took an iphone and a Bb10 device, with the same amout of apps, the BB10 would be far superior...

3.) The apps issue with blackberry is being dealt with so once that happens... If someone can still claim iphone to be better, then that person is just delusional...
    1.) How do you know? Do you know the boy personally? You say no offense to his parents then proceed to offend...

2.) You actually have a BB10 device already? Are they only available in Canada?

3.) Any more delusional than making comparative claims about a device that isn't in the hands of consumers as yet?

What is wrong with this picture...?
    03-05-12 02:34 PM
    1.) How do you know? Do you know the boy personally? You say no offense to his parents then proceed to offend...

2.) You actually have a BB10 device already? Are they only available in Canada?

3.) Any more delusional than making comparative claims about a device that isn't in the hands of consumers as yet?

What is wrong with this picture...?

1) I said PROBABLY as in I'm not sure but it could easily seem that way... From my experience ( and that of many others on this forum and many other sites and articles) most iPhoners are sheeple people who are complacent and want the next big thing that the media want to feed them. So I was perfectly correct by saying PROBABLY since I did not state it as a fact and I sincerely do not wish to offend the parent, as I do not know them and did not pretend to.

2 & 3) BB10....the PlayBook is virtually a BB10 beta, which was well planned by RIM to fix up the platform so that when then new phones do come out, they will be fully functional and with few bugs.

I also made a hypothetical comparison, clearly it will not be any time soon that BB10 will have the same number of apps as iPhone..... If you couldn't figure that then maybe you must use iPhone or are planning to switch to iPhone

I'm just kidding. I wasn't trying to make problems honestly.
    03-05-12 02:52 PM
    Very sad. Many of these posts seem to be from Canadians. I am a bit of a globalist, however I do find it so odd that many Canadian are leaving a local company. One whose founders continue to support the local economy and who invest many millions in research and development with universities. Am I wrong to thing there is something odd to all of this? When was the last time Apple invested in the local Canadian economy. I know, I know. I do love my Blackberry and Playbook however, and see no reason to move, Really no reason at all. As for BBM, it is a terrific way to communicate, and way cheaper than sending SMS from places like India where I go to often.
    03-05-12 03:00 PM
    BB just dont appeal to the younger crowd/and are losing the ones they had
    im talking in america btw
    Why is that? Surely if you did a poll, you'd find that 90% of what people do on their "phones" is to send messages, including twitter, facebook, SMS etc. So why is it that iPhones do that better than BB? Is it fashion?

It is America (United States), but's it's also happing in Canada. Young people (and many old ones too) have lost any association between making things, developing new products, and putting local people to work and their overall welfare.

Many of these will be the first ones to blame someone else when they can't find meaningful work, or their house prices drop because people can't find work.
    Jeovex likes this.
    03-05-12 03:26 PM

It is America (United States), but's it's also happing in Canada. Young people (and many old ones too) have lost any association between making things, developing new products, and putting local people to work and their overall welfare.
    This is the way of things.
    03-05-12 03:45 PM
    My WhatsApp contacts are increasing, to the detriment of BBM. In my case, a lot of people I know are trying other platforms simply because they can (e.g. my wife just got an iPhone).

BBM doesn't seem to be the magic unicorn that will retain users, not in NAFTA, at least. Although some of my buddies have some gripes with iPhones and Androids, not many seem eager to come back to BB (one that just switched was laughing at me when I needed to reboot my Torch 9800 after installing an app (might have been AppWorld), he pointed out he doesn't need to do that with his new shiny iPhone. I did the only thing a sane person would do: I spit in his face).
    03-05-12 04:02 PM
    Why is that? Surely if you did a poll, you'd find that 90% of what people do on their "phones" is to send messages, including twitter, facebook, SMS etc. So why is it that iPhones do that better than BB? Is it fashion?

Many of these will be the first ones to blame someone else when they can't find meaningful work, or their house prices drop because people can't find work.
    I think it is a huge factor.

fashion/trending does play a role younger people they want all touch phones
    also the phone specs come into consideration is it dual core does it have a
    nice camera, front facing camera for video calling stuff that BB dont offer yet
    Can't wait for it to be offered by BB, these are the things that they need to regain ground in the consumer market.

then why cant rim just make a press conference or something showing the "bb 10 concept phone" this thing was supposed to be showed at the mwc
    I think it's because they really want to get everything right and include the apps of all the major players, they really can't show something that is incomplete. Not now...they really can't afford it.
    03-05-12 04:03 PM
    The only thing the iphone has going for it is the apps. If we took an iphone and a Bb10 device, with the same amout of apps, the BB10 would be far superior...
    Speaking of delusional... You know that there's the tiiiiny little issue of, ehm... How should I put this.. Oh yeah: YOU'RE COMPARING AN IPHONE WITH A DEVICE THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!!

In the interest of fairness, why don't you compare BBOS 10 with the iPhone 6? In which case the VB doesn't stand a chance. Its not even funny! The iPhone 6 quad core CPU, 2GB RAM and 20 megapixel camera kicks BBs **s. Its like a navy seal against a kindergartner!
    03-05-12 04:57 PM
    Speaking of delusional... You know that there's the tiiiiny little issue of, ehm... How should I put this.. Oh yeah: YOU'RE COMPARING AN IPHONE WITH A DEVICE THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!!

In the interest of fairness, why don't you compare BBOS 10 with the iPhone 6? In which case the VB doesn't stand a chance. Its not even funny! The iPhone 6 quad core CPU, 2GB RAM and 20 megapixel camera kicks BBs **s. Its like a navy seal against a kindergartner!
    Nice, in your attempt to discredit me you also invented a device...
    03-05-12 05:55 PM
    I'm new to BB so I still need to learn a lot from this site. Have a few friends who use sms more thean talking. I'm kind of forced to use sms as a result. Will I have to use a different app to stay in contact with them? I haven't received the phone yet from T-mobile. Learning a lot about them on CB.
    03-05-12 06:28 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD