Hi everyone...

I heard that a friend of a friend got a new Blackberry device, and since she performed a backup of her old Blackberry contacts and restored them to her new device, her BBM friends automatically got reloaded in her new device (makes sense).

What surprised me was: apparently her BBM friends didn't even have to re-add her new PIN. She remains as their contact, and on her friend's Blackberries, her PIN was automatically updated to the new one. I heard that the backup/restore process was done remotely (through email).

Does that make sense....? Can the above really be done?

I am asking because I just got a new device.....my old one is the Bold 9780, and my new one is the Bold 9900, and I want to export my Bold 9780 BBM contacts to my Bold 9900, and I thought it would be nice if people didn't have to bother re-adding my new PIN.

If I were to perform an offline backup using the Blackberry Desktop program (i.e.: exporting a .con file from the 9780 to the 9900) would it work the way I want?
    05-22-13 06:02 PM
    You restore BBM contacts using your BBID, you restore contacts if you have backed it up to BlackBerry Protect using your BBID. Otherwise, contacts and other data on the 9780 can be restored to the 9900 using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager - Switch Device Feature. It just copies old data from current BB(aka 9780) to new BB (aka 9900).
    05-22-13 06:15 PM
    contacts and other data on the 9780 can be restored to the 9900 using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager - Switch Device Feature. It just copies old data from current BB(aka 9780) to new BB (aka 9900).
    Thanks for the reply =)

So, questions:

1. If I do what you suggested (Switch Device feature), does that mean that my BBM friends won't have to re-add me? My PIN will be silently updated on their device, and they won't even know I use a new device (unless of course they manually look at my PIN)?

2. In order for the above to work, do I have to have an active BIS during the backup/restore process? The 9780 no longer has BIS, and the 9900 doesn't have BIS yet.
    05-22-13 06:34 PM
    Thoughts anyone?
    05-23-13 07:42 AM
    Palmtree,

This link should answer your questions, but yes the system updates your BBM contacts with your new pin once the database is transferred to your new BB, so I am pretty sure that BIS is required for the update process to be completed.

http://www.crackberry.com/blackberry...switch-devices

Sent from my BBRY using Tapatalk
    05-23-13 12:26 PM