Any one else prompted to restart their computers after downloading and installing the new .419 os?

I have not read about this step anywhere and I refuse to mess this upgrade up hahaha

I have not run the app loader yet, just finished installing the os onto my computer. Also, where do I find my current os and what will it be labeled as? I keep hearing i have to delete it before I install .419 onto my phone.
    01-06-10 02:07 PM
    My current os resides here and should be the same for you.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\ your os here.

I do not remember being asked to restart after installing .419. How ever wait and see what other people post here..

People do recommend that you uninstall your current os but I did not. I removed the folder that had my 4.7.1.61 out of the shared folder and stuck it on the desk top. As long as .419 is the only os in the shared folder you should be fine. When I ran loader.exe it only offered me 5.0. Also some reported no bbm after the install and I experienced this as well. I wiped the phone with BBSAK and on the second install I checked the boxes of what I actually wanted installed. But the bbm it puts on is 5.0.0.33 and you will be prompted to update it after your phone is up and running.

People also recommend deleting the vendor.xml file and some say you dont need to. Mine was deleted prior to my install.

Keep in mind that I did wipe my phone and start from scratch.
    Last edited by dave3825us; 01-06-10 at 02:46 PM.
    01-06-10 02:42 PM
    I was not prompted to restart my pc
    01-06-10 03:07 PM
    Ok so here is LITTERALLY what I did.

Downloaded .419

BEFORE I downloaded .419, there was no "shared" folder in the common files RIM folder.

Installed .419

"Shared" folder appears

Restarted my computer

Ran the APP loader in the RIM folder in common files

So far so good, my phone works, got the message saying I was registered on the network. Besides my icons all being out of place and Black Berry Messenger being deleted, there are no problems as of now.

I will update any good/bad experiences in the future.
    01-06-10 03:40 PM
    Ok I know this is a double message, but here goes.

Some weird things, my email shortcut icon on my HOME screen is gone. I went to email setup and sure enough my email is still on there and registered, just no icon. I deleted my email, then re-entered it. Got a message saying a new email icon has appeared on my HOME screen, but when i went to check, there is no email icon.

I went through out my phone, into every single folder to try and find it and its not there. I still get email messages, but through my PHONE messages. Its not a big deal because I dont use email too often, just kind of an annoyance.
    01-06-10 04:26 PM
    Do a few batt pulls When I boot up my aim icon is there but when I look later its a default icon. No biggie for me.
    01-06-10 04:43 PM
    Ya did that, no improvement.

Noticed that the start up time is MUCH faster than it was before, BUT!!!! The first minute or so the phone is extremely laggy, and extremely slow. Noticed this in the BB calender app as well....
    01-07-10 12:26 AM
    Did that a few times, no improvements.

The start up time as improved drastically, much faster than before.

Battery? Im not use to the BB battery life yet, but I texted off and on all day and as well as had 4, less than 5 minute phone calls each and as of now my phone is at half charge, I dont know if that is bad or not.

I also noticed that right after the phone starts up, it is EXTREMELY laggy and slow for the first minute or so. After that, the phone runs fine and smooth. I also noticed my media player is gone, not a huge deal because I only have ringtones on my phone.
    01-07-10 12:30 AM
    Also, since updating to .419

When plugging my phone into my laptop, I no longer have the option to "open folder to view files" option that I am usually asked.

I used this to put ringtones I made onto my phone, but I cant seem to do that anymore.

I want to put blank word and excel files onto my phone as templates.
    01-07-10 01:10 AM
    Also, since updating to .419

When plugging my phone into my laptop, I no longer have the option to "open folder to view files" option that I am usually asked.

I used this to put ringtones I made onto my phone, but I cant seem to do that anymore.

I want to put blank word and excel files onto my phone as templates.
    Try enabling Mass Storage Mode through options>memory>auto enable mass storage mode when connected. This should allow easier transfer of files.
    01-07-10 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD