There is a RIM generated error in the policy.bin file that has formed the basis for IT Policy removal on BlackBerrys (see naviwilliams' post).

All the policy.bin files that I have been able to find on the web have the same error. After the operation to remove the IT Policy, the Firewall remains locked (Options, Security Options, Firewall) reveals a red padlock aginst the Firewall option. There is no known work around. I even
    called RIM and asked them how to remove an IT Policy and they told me (for $45) that it could not be done. Well, here's how.

The only valid way to fully remove an IT Policy is first to be running an OS of version 4.3 (check Options, About and read the 3rd line down) or higher or this procedure will not work. It may therefore be neccessary to upgrade the OS to 4.3 or better before proceeding.

If you are running OS 4.3 or better (this is essentially cjarbone's method)
    • You need CrackUtil or JL_Cmder installed on your PC.
    • Sync your phone and do a Backup before starting.
    • Once this is done, shut down Desktop Manager.
    • Run CrackUtil. From the Advanced sereen screen Reset IT Policy and then wait until the phone has re-booted.
    • Do a Restore and you should now see that the Firewall (Options, Security
    • Options, Firewall) now has no little red lock against it.
    If you are running OS 4.2
    • Sync your phone and do a Backup.
    • Install and OS version greater than 4.2 (any version 4.3 or above will do).
    • Run CrackUtil. From the Advanced sereen screen Reset IT Policy and then wait until the phone has re-booted.
    • When the phone has rebooted check Options, Security Options, Firewall now has no little red lock against it.
    • Re-install your old OS if you wish by doing the following. Uninstall OS 4.5 (but keep 4.2 installed) from your PC and Desktop Manager will prompt you to ask if it should downgrade.
    • Do a Restore and a Sync.
    I know that this proceedure is long and tedious but it does work reliably.

Sometimes using the above tools does not remove the IT Policy. It shows up after you re-connect to Desktop Manager. If this happens, you will need to clean out a file and a registry entry on the PC.

You need to find a file on your PC called policy.bin and delete it. There is also registry wntry that points to policy.bin. You must delete that too.
    The file should be located at C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin

Open up Regedit (Start > Run and type regedit). Locate and delete the key HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager\C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin

The PC is now clear and will not cause problems again.
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-01-08 at 01:01 PM.
    10-11-08 05:57 AM
    Thanks for the great information!
    10-11-08 08:14 AM
    Noob question, but what is the IT Policy, what why would you want to remove it. Really sorry if this is a dumb question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 11:08 AM
    Large corporations usually maintain their own servers and email message systems and secure it from non-authorized users.

The only way to gain access is through their BES connection.

In order to maintain security, certain features of the BlackBerry will be disabled by use of an IT Policy. Frequently, the policy will prevent the installation on non-supported applications and enforce policies like requiring the user top make regular pass word changes.

The concern is, a malicious program might be installed and threaten the security of the data on the corporate servers.

Later in life, these BlackBerry may be cycled out of service and resold. That is when a new owner may encounter a restrictive policy and want it removed. The original owner never would, doing so would risk the security of the corporate data and be grounds for dismissal.

In practice, there are some poorly created BIS applications that can inadvertently install a policy. These are fair game and the reason we need to know this information.
    mustaffaaziz8 and jogyver like this.
    10-11-08 11:43 AM
    All BlackBerrys have an IT Policy, even yours. Yours like most other privately owned BlackBerrys never have a problem with their IT Policy because they are set to be blank at manufacture.

Corporate owned devices, managed by IT Departments are often restricted as to what the phone can do and the IT Policy is the tool that they use to do this.

The IT Policy can at will prevent programs being installed or removed, ban the use of the camera, bluetooth, Media Card, various levels of calling out and any number of other things to protect the company and to save money or prevent it being spent.

Sometimes these phones come into private hands by being sold off to employees or sometimes they are sold on ebay or elsewhere.

A person buying such a phone would find it crippled and RIM (who make BlackBerrys) will only say that the only person who can remove an IT Policy is the person who put it there in the first place.

As you can imagine, this is not always a convenient choice so, we have had several cracks (pun quite intended) at removing this annoying tool. It is not easy and now, I have finally come up with the definitive method of doing so.

naviwilliamls and cjarbone pointed the way with their initial posts but this is the first time that a post has described the whole process for any Operating System version.

I hope that this has helped understanding.
    mustaffaaziz8 likes this.
    10-11-08 11:49 AM
    hay guys thanks alot for explanation, one step further from being a bb noob
    10-12-08 11:55 PM
    Hey Pete,

I am trying to remove the IT policy from my 8830 since I left my employer. They cannot help me since they have closed the business. I am trying to follow your instructions but I have os 4.2 and when I try to upgrade to a higher os on the BB site, I am blocked. I get a message that says software upgrades are blocked because I have BES on the phone! Basically, I can't get rid of the IT without upgrading and I can't upgrade because I have an IT policy!! It's a Catch 22!

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    11-12-08 11:22 AM
    Wipe the device, then remove the policy.
    11-12-08 12:56 PM
    A newbie question sniffs. How do you wipe the device? Thanks.
    11-12-08 01:28 PM
    A newbie question sniffs. How do you wipe the device? Thanks.
    JL_Cmder Javaloader Utility

This will completely wipe EVERYTHING from your phone so do a backup first.

When the wipe is done your phone will boot up to a 507 Error. Don't panic, that
    is what you want to see. From there you can follow the instructions on how
    to load the new OS.
    11-12-08 01:41 PM
    Hi there, did you recieve any assitance in removing your IT Polcies on your BB 8830. I am in the same situation and very fustrated. Are you feeling comfortable using crackutil. Please let me know what you do. I am very interested.

Hey Pete,

I am trying to remove the IT policy from my 8830 since I left my employer. They cannot help me since they have closed the business. I am trying to follow your instructions but I have os 4.2 and when I try to upgrade to a higher os on the BB site, I am blocked. I get a message that says software upgrades are blocked because I have BES on the phone! Basically, I can't get rid of the IT without upgrading and I can't upgrade because I have an IT policy!! It's a Catch 22!

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-08 02:42 PM
    Or you can go to Settings, Options, Security Options, General Settings, then either push the wheel in, or push the button to the left of the trackball and then select "Wipe Device".

This brings your device back to factory defaults without actually having to worry about JVM errors. =)
    11-12-08 03:43 PM
    having tried one of the "unlimited" tmobile sim cards on ebay, which TOTALLY MESSED UP MY BLACKBERRY (it wouldnt even recognise my own number when i reinstered my own sim, and messed up mms an browser etc) this tutorial totally saved me
    thanks tons!!!
    12-13-08 11:47 PM
    Or you can go to Settings, Options, Security Options, General Settings, then either push the wheel in, or push the button to the left of the trackball and then select "Wipe Device".

This brings your device back to factory defaults without actually having to worry about JVM errors. =)
    thats great info to know thanks
    12-13-08 11:50 PM
    Hey Pete,

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Sorry for the delay in replying I was busy with other stuff (Christmas lights).

I have not come across this one before and it could be a show stopper. The thing to do here is to obtain a copy of the OS that is currently installed on your phone before we start destroying the poor thing. This is our fallback option in case everything falls apart.

As I have never done this before, I can only advise you and can take no responsibility if your phone stays bricked.

Attached is a program called CrackIT. It is designed to remove IT Policies from BlackBerrys running OS 4.2 BUT IT HAS A FLAW. CrackIT relies on a file caled polict.bin and this file came from RIM and it has an error. It locks the Firewall. Howeve this does not matter since we are only going to use CrackIT to overwrite your existing IT POlicy. Once we have OS 4.5 installed then CrackUtil (in my signature) will remove the Firewall lock.

So, please download and install CrackIT, CrackUtil and CrackMem. Make sure that you have Desktop Manager 4.6 (4.7 sucks) installed connect your phone and sync it to Outlook (this is important because OS 4.5 does not always restore OS 4.2 Backups) to save your personal data. Now do a Backup to save any application data.

Leave the phone connected and shut down Deskto Manager. Run CrackIT and click the big button.

Now run Desktop Manager again and do another Backup. This action is just to make sure that DM has applied the new Policy.

Read the Help text of CrackIT and then remove it and the policy.bin file from your PC. To avoid errors, also remove the registry entry so that DM does not get confused.

Hopefully the IT Policy that prevents you from upgrading is now removed. Please try to uprade.

Come back here or PM me if you need more help.
    12-14-08 06:21 AM
    hello all just used the program and removed it policy off my storm no problem
    01-04-09 10:49 AM
    Normally people have to remove IT Policies from phones they buy used. How did you come to have an IT Policy on your Storm? If you have a corporate Storm, the IT Policy will be pushed back on the phone the next time you connect to the Enterprise.
    01-04-09 11:24 AM
    Go out and buy yourself a long strong cool drink - i wish i could get one for you

many thanks
    01-12-09 06:11 AM
    I have a storm and am leaving my company. I did a complete wipe using Jlcommander and reloaded my OS. Under security options--general settings it says that my it policy name is "default" and it was last updated and time stamped on 1/22/09.

Is this default policy what every blackberry comes with or do I need to do the steps from the beginning of this thread?

I also downgraded my VZW account to BIS from BES.
    Last edited by garment69; 01-27-09 at 08:45 AM.
    01-27-09 08:39 AM
    Thanks so much for the great post. Just bought a used Curve off of eBay and it had an IT Policy on it. The seller did not inform me of this... but I needed to update the OS anyway. It had 4.2 so this was a great reason to update to 4.5. Thanks for the clear instructions too!
    01-30-09 01:10 AM
    install Crackmen and Crackutil if we are going to use the the Crackit software to remove the IT policy? I have an IT policy on my phone I have tried several things per Crackberry forum to remove it but to no avail. I am just confused why we need these other two files if we are only using the one "Crackit file" . Another question what do you mean by sync it to Outlook? I am just confused by your instruction no fault of yours but my own lack of understand and technical knowledge. Is there a simplier way to do this, no? Thank you.
    02-02-09 04:51 PM
    You don't need to use CrackIT unless you have the specific situation described in Post #7. CrackIT was an early attempt by Pete to write an IT Policy removal tool. It was unsuccessful due to factors beyond his control, so he removed it from general distribution. Follow the steps in Post #1 in this thread and you'll be fine.
    02-02-09 07:59 PM
    Great thread, I just wish that Blackberry Unite didn't put a IT Policy on my blackberry even though it is an open policy
    02-02-09 08:03 PM
    Hi guys I have bought a 9310 on ebay which has a stupid little red padlock preventing me from disabling the use of a password every 2 mins. I'm guessing i have to go down this route, but it does sound a little scary. More to the point the crackit software you talk about seems to be wholly pc orientated - do you have anything that i can use with my mac?

also as i bought this second hand i don't have any disks with the OS and applications on, if i go down the route of upgrading the OS on this will that include all the applications too?

thanks

tim
    02-03-09 01:59 PM
    Pete, didn't see this thread before. Just wanted to say thanks for the credit, and i think its great what you are doing for the CB nation!!! Keep up the good work!
    02-03-09 02:06 PM
253 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD