i used selective restore and it still restored my IT Policy. i dont know if its because im usng the desktop software 5.0 or because i loaded the application permissions from the selective restore. im stuck =[
    09-19-09 03:45 AM
    I restored my policy also. This is so frustrating. What is the IT policy called?
    09-25-09 08:28 AM
    wiping the device never fails.
    09-25-09 08:59 AM
    I wiped it with the tool above but when I go to restore my back up the policy is restored. I am not sure what it is called?
    Any hints would be appreciated.
    09-25-09 09:44 AM
    I recievied an 8330 curve for a b-day gift purchased off e-bay and has a red lock on the firewall, i have used the crackutl to reset IT policy which it did, but as soon as i run DM version 5 it replaces the lock on the firewall, i have os version 4.5.0.110 on the curve, i am using the bb for personal email thru tmobile. i install the slacker raido app but get an error of trying make a connection inside and outside the firewall, what setting do i have set in dm that would renable the firewall. howdo i change these setting
    09-26-09 05:25 PM
    i've got wifi and pin messeges blocked on my bb- i'm tryin to use BBSAK - but after factory reset - same shi - any ideas?
    09-27-09 11:31 AM
    Great info...Thanks!
    10-06-09 07:35 AM
    You should put a step in the jl_cmder like:
    Hit 5 to reset to factory to lose the IT policy
    10-11-09 10:45 PM
    Just wanted to say thanks for the great thread! FINALLY I was able to get rid of the stupid locked firewall issue on my 8830WE; I had tried every other method described (and yes, running the loader.exe /resettofactory did NOT work) and it was CrackUtil that worked for me. It's great to get rid of this final reminder of this phones old corporate days. BTW; I don't have any issues when doing backups/restores etc. of having it come back again.

Thanks once again!
    10-13-09 09:28 PM
    ok i am so confused
    it says reset and restore
    but when i restore afterwards the stupid lock is back

im so lost
    10-16-09 12:05 AM
    Before I do this here is my problem that I believer is caused by Policy Rules; Emails are truncated at 10k (text only) emails attachments less than the 4 mb are either totally denied access or they too are truncated, Cannot see many videos I keep getting an 'error while playing " message amoung many other issues..THis phone should launch a SHuttle but it barely send a call to my home..All friends have similar , if not seemingly identical phones and they all have DIFFERENT problems ???? Are these issues set by IT POLICY ?? If so and I delete them to a default, will I have more features that what I have now..Verizon technical cannot help. They know less than I do... Thanks in Advanced and thanks to my first reply...CUDOS TO ALL on this one my friends.

There is a RIM generated error in the policy.bin file that has formed the basis for IT Policy removal on BlackBerrys (see naviwilliams' post).

All the policy.bin files that I have been able to find on the web have the same error. After the operation to remove the IT Policy, the Firewall remains locked (Options, Security Options, Firewall) reveals a red padlock aginst the Firewall option. There is no known work around. I even
    called RIM and asked them how to remove an IT Policy and they told me (for $45) that it could not be done. Well, here's how.

The only valid way to fully remove an IT Policy is first to be running an OS of version 4.3 (check Options, About and read the 3rd line down) or higher or this procedure will not work. It may therefore be neccessary to upgrade the OS to 4.3 or better before proceeding.

If you are running OS 4.3 or better (this is essentially cjarbone's method)
    • You need CrackUtil or JL_Cmder installed on your PC.
    • Sync your phone and do a Backup before starting.
    • Once this is done, shut down Desktop Manager.
    • Run CrackUtil. From the Advanced sereen screen Reset IT Policy and then wait until the phone has re-booted.
    • Do a Restore and you should now see that the Firewall (Options, Security
    • Options, Firewall) now has no little red lock against it.
    If you are running OS 4.2
    • Sync your phone and do a Backup.
    • Install and OS version greater than 4.2 (any version 4.3 or above will do).
    • Run CrackUtil. From the Advanced sereen screen Reset IT Policy and then wait until the phone has re-booted.
    • When the phone has rebooted check Options, Security Options, Firewall now has no little red lock against it.
    • Re-install your old OS if you wish by doing the following. Uninstall OS 4.5 (but keep 4.2 installed) from your PC and Desktop Manager will prompt you to ask if it should downgrade.
    • Do a Restore and a Sync.
    I know that this proceedure is long and tedious but it does work reliably.
    Last edited by bfriskey; 10-19-09 at 08:45 PM.
    10-19-09 08:27 PM
    Before I do this here is my problem that I believer is caused by Policy Rules; Emails are truncated at 10k (text only) emails attachments less than the 4 mb are either totally denied access or they too are truncated, Cannot see many videos I keep getting an 'error while playing " message amoung many other issues..THis phone should launch a SHuttle but it barely send a call to my home..All friends have similar , if not seemingly identical phones and they all have DIFFERENT problems ???? Are these issues set by IT POLICY ?? If so and I delete them to a default, will I have more features that what I have now..Verizon technical cannot help. They know less than I do... Thanks in Advanced and thanks to my first reply...CUDOS TO ALL on this one my friends.

First, do you know you have an IT policy? Was your phone provided by your employer? Go to Options / Status and type buyr. You won't see the letters, but when you finish, 2 or 3 lines will be added to your status display. If any of then refer to an IT policy, then you have one. If they don't, then you may be experiencing other BlackBerry limitations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 08:57 PM
    OK did as you instructed and got what was the return policy information from the old days..data and voice usage, that's all.. So now we have narrowed down the problem ? I bought this phone NEW At verizon less than 3 weeks ago. It has some very funny characteristics that concern me. Also, this is my 2nd Storm, the first on kept locking up.
    So how do I proceed? Verizon keeps telling me about the max limits imposed by BB that I never get the ability to come close to... Verizon has no real knowledge of the system and I need what I bought, if they can't give it to me I'll have to go back to Winmo. I had CB up to 3 weeks ago and NONE of these problems witha 8120~ Wouldn't think that the 8120 would eat a Storm for breakfast?!
    What do I do ? Are these 9350 THAT flaky ? Do I fix this or go back to WINMO?? Verizon will meet me with any phone of my choosing, I just don't know which phone to choose..
    I want-wifi, PHONE ABOVE ALL ELSE, FULL BROWSING EXPERIENCE COMPLETE WITH VIDEO, I don't want to click 3 times on every email to get the images, that stinks, and ther is lot's ,ore . too much for this discussion...Again, where do I start, Your wish is my command ol mighty one................

Really down in Cin Town,,,

First, do you know you have an IT policy? Was your phone provided by your employer? Go to Options / Status and type buyr. You won't see the letters, but when you finish, 2 or 3 lines will be added to your status display. If any of then refer to an IT policy, then you have one. If they don't, then you may be experiencing other BlackBerry limitations.

10-19-09 09:31 PM
    OK did as you instructed and got what was the return policy information from the old days..data and voice usage, that's all.. So now we have narrowed down the problem ? I bought this phone NEW At verizon less than 3 weeks ago. It has some very funny characteristics that concern me. Also, this is my 2nd Storm, the first on kept locking up.
    So how do I proceed? Verizon keeps telling me about the max limits imposed by BB that I never get the ability to come close to... Verizon has no real knowledge of the system and I need what I bought, if they can't give it to me I'll have to go back to Winmo. I had CB up to 3 weeks ago and NONE of these problems witha 8120~ Wouldn't think that the 8120 would eat a Storm for breakfast?!
    What do I do ? Are these 9350 THAT flaky ? Do I fix this or go back to WINMO?? Verizon will meet me with any phone of my choosing, I just don't know which phone to choose..
    I want-wifi, PHONE ABOVE ALL ELSE, FULL BROWSING EXPERIENCE COMPLETE WITH VIDEO, I don't want to click 3 times on every email to get the images, that stinks, and ther is lot's ,ore . too much for this discussion...Again, where do I start, Your wish is my command ol mighty one................

Really down in Cin Town,,,
    So the good news is, you don't have an IT policy. The bad news is, you don't have an IT policy. But at least you won't waste time looking in the wrong direction. I've never used a Storm and can't offer any suggestions to improve your experience other than to check out the suggestions in the Storm Forums. Some of the limitations, such as lack of Flash support and download size limits, are common to all BlackBerrys. Others may be alleviated by making changes to your OS.

10-19-09 09:44 PM
    Thanks so much for your help. I think the real solution for me is to go with a WINMO phone where I can enjoy truly unimpeded usage as I had with my Garmin( less cell) . At least I will have only the limitations set forth by the carrier and the device, period. Too many restrictions by BB, the device , the carrier, and the OS to deal with. After setting my last BB up ( MANY MANY HOURS AND HOURS OF TIME) it still was not the device that I wanted. So with that said, wish me luck with windows !!
    AND AGAIN, THANK YOU
    10-20-09 07:33 AM
    if i wipe the device will it lock my unlocked storm
    Last edited by crackberry man; 10-25-09 at 11:14 PM.
    10-25-09 11:10 PM
    After weeks of trying to find a solution that works for me (none of the .bin fixes worked on my storm) and endless frustration, i've finally found something that works. Here it is, the one that worked ht=============tp://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Storm-BlackBerry-9500/Remove-IT-Policy-from-personal-phone/m-p/269277 (remove = signs for link)
    10-26-09 01:44 AM
    if i wipe the device will it lock my unlocked storm
    No. Wiping a BlackBerry will not cause it to lock to a carrier. Unlocking is irreversible.

10-26-09 01:48 AM

Hi, if I remove the IT policy using one of the methods advised, will it return if I'm on BIS, not BES? Thanks.
    10-30-09 03:30 AM
    Hi, if I remove the IT policy using one of the methods advised, will it return if I'm on BIS, not BES? Thanks.
    No, if you are not on BES, the IT Policy will not return once completely removed.
    10-30-09 07:21 AM
    Wow, I was since wednesday from last week trying to find how to work this problem with the bb, an now with this thread I solve everything of th IT policy this works like a charm, I recommend the crackutil, amazing works amazing

11-02-09 06:11 PM
    how do i get rid of the little red lock next to the firewall?

i have no it policy on the berry,
    thanks
    11-11-09 04:38 AM
    Great information!!!! I tried everything else on erasing IT policies and this is the only one that actually worked! I have tested on BB 8820.
    Thanks again!
    11-13-09 06:44 PM
    Tested and Approved.
    11-14-09 03:21 AM
    I have a company BB which has IT policy on it. IT is not being friendly for installing 3rd party applications.
    I want to install a few applications but then be able to continue receiving corporate email etc. I'm thinking the following:
    1. backup IT policy
    2. remove IT policy
    3. install 3rd party program
    4. restore IT policy

Is there a way to do this? Can I restore the IT policy while retaining the 3rd party apps? Is there a way of doing all this without IT knowing?
    11-15-09 05:23 PM
253 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD