So, all of you are talking about wiping the IT policy on here. Is there a way to keep an IT policy but reactivate certain things?

I was able to get onto the Enterprise for my company with my personal Blackberry but wasn't aware of the fact that it would not allow me to download any new apps or utilize my camera.

Any advice for me?
    Reset to factory and then don't connect to BES as it will reinstall the IT policy. There is no way to circumvent IT policy other than removing it. The other possibility is to ask your IT people if they will send you an IT policy that will allow you to do those things on your personal BB.
    07-13-09 06:11 PM
    So, interestingly enough when I left my most recent employer instead of disabling my BES account on the server, they pushed a wipe command on my 8900 curve (bastards...lost all my personal calendar, contacts, etc...) Anyway, I noticed that my IT policy is completely gone (no locks in the security option or firewall). That's a good thing but I thought that this was not possible with a simple wipe of the device. Maybe it's the new OS on the 8900's? I'm on AT&T factory OS 4.6.1.231.
    When they did a wipe through BES, it wiped the BB and removed the IT policy. If you wipe the device, it will not remove the IT policy.
    07-13-09 06:16 PM
    When they did a wipe through BES, it wiped the BB and removed the IT policy. If you wipe the device, it will not remove the IT policy.
    Wiping locally absolutely removes the policy. Case in point, I'm migrating users off our old bes with a different db than the new one. If you try and active a BB overtop an existing activation, you'll get a message that the IT policy is rejected.

My help that is doing this with me for my users is walking them through a local wipe, while I do the BES wipe.. All of them, either wipe method, is reactivating on the new BES
    07-13-09 10:20 PM
    thanx pete6...great post
    08-04-09 12:33 PM
    hi i have Blackberry Bold 9000 will it work if i use the steps above thanks
    08-09-09 06:18 PM
    hi i have Blackberry Bold 9000 will it work if i use the steps above thanks
    It should work with virtually any blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by coffee-turtle; 08-09-09 at 06:29 PM.
    08-09-09 06:26 PM
    I have some apps that say when I try to run them that my IT policy does not allow it do so. Example the amazon remember app i take a picture and then the websites says " attemted to open a connect to a location inside the firewall and outside the fire wall which is not allowed by your IT policy." I looked in my security options and say no red letters suggesting any blocks. So I am confused. Do I have an IT policy on my pearl and if I don't why do these messages pop up? Would running these steps help my situation or is this a waste of time. I have a BB pearl 8100 running the v4.5.0.162 OS on Tmobile.
    08-11-09 07:00 PM
    Thanks this helped!
    08-11-09 07:01 PM
    I have some apps that say when I try to run them that my IT policy does not allow it do so. Example the amazon remember app i take a picture and then the websites says " attemted to open a connect to a location inside the firewall and outside the fire wall which is not allowed by your IT policy." I looked in my security options and say no red letters suggesting any blocks. So I am confused. Do I have an IT policy on my pearl and if I don't why do these messages pop up? Would running these steps help my situation or is this a waste of time. I have a BB pearl 8100 running the v4.5.0.162 OS on Tmobile.
    To see usage and if IT policy is set:
    **Type BUYR on the Status option page

08-12-09 07:28 AM
    To see usage and if IT policy is set:
    **Type BUYR on the Status option page

I am on the status page and see nothing. But I don't see where you can type BUYR. I am new to the really technical side of Blackberry so be kind.
    08-12-09 04:47 PM
    Just type it blindly. You'll see the info pop up on the last two lines of your Status page.

(Sorry I jumped the gun before) :-)

08-12-09 05:00 PM
    I see my signal, battery, file free, pin and IMEI but nothing else. I type it and nothing.
    08-12-09 05:49 PM
    Hi,

I am using a BES BB Bold. There is an IT policy imposted. I wish to remove the IT policy. The current IT policy lock the SD card slot, therefore I could not put any data on it.

The IT policy also does not allow me to setup the connection to my personal email account.

I have the following questons. I hope those BES administrator can help me.

1. If I crack the IT policy, can I use by BB to connect to a different ISP which I maintain my personal email account?

2. After cracking the IT policy, will I still able to connect to my BES server to get my work emails?

3. How my IT administrator can discover if I have remove the IT policy? Can they find it from their server?

Thank you very much.

Large corporations usually maintain their own servers and email message systems and secure it from non-authorized users.

The only way to gain access is through their BES connection.

In order to maintain security, certain features of the BlackBerry will be disabled by use of an IT Policy. Frequently, the policy will prevent the installation on non-supported applications and enforce policies like requiring the user top make regular pass word changes.

The concern is, a malicious program might be installed and threaten the security of the data on the corporate servers.

Later in life, these BlackBerry may be cycled out of service and resold. That is when a new owner may encounter a restrictive policy and want it removed. The original owner never would, doing so would risk the security of the corporate data and be grounds for dismissal.

In practice, there are some poorly created BIS applications that can inadvertently install a policy. These are fair game and the reason we need to know this information.
    08-14-09 04:51 AM
    Hi,

I am using a BES BB Bold. There is an IT policy imposted. I wish to remove the IT policy. The current IT policy lock the SD card slot, therefore I could not put any data on it.

The IT policy also does not allow me to setup the connection to my personal email account.

I have the following questons. I hope those BES administrator can help me.

1. If I crack the IT policy, can I use by BB to connect to a different ISP which I maintain my personal email account?

2. After cracking the IT policy, will I still able to connect to my BES server to get my work emails?

3. How my IT administrator can discover if I have remove the IT policy? Can they find it from their server?

Thank you very much.
    Since you quoted Reed, you understand that this procedure is not intended to be used to remove an IT Policy from a corporate-owned phone. If you do, the lack of IT Policy will be detected the first time your phone attempts to log in to the Enterprise server. The IT Policy will automatically be pushed back onto your phone, and your IT admins will know that you have violated IT security. I don't know if you would be able to check BIS mail or not, because BIS mail goes thru your BES servers. Your violation would most likely be detected the first time you attempted to access BIS as well.
    08-14-09 05:18 AM
    I have a 'corporate owned' Curve where the Scurity Policy is managed by the corporate IT department.
    Does it mean I can't modify/touch the security paramenters ?

They have recently forced a 20 minutes device lock that forces you to re-type your password if the device is not touched during that 20 minutes perios. That is really anoying....
    Any way to 'overcome' that hassle ?
    Maybe a small background application that makes the device think that it is not idele for a certain period...

Many Thanks.
    08-15-09 02:43 PM
    Have you tried just going to Password under options and see what is available to you.

I have mine set to 10 minutes and it's my personal device. I like the feature just in case of prying eyes.

08-15-09 02:53 PM
    I have a 'corporate owned' Curve where the Scurity Policy is managed by the corporate IT department.
    Does it mean I can't modify/touch the security paramenters ?

They have recently forced a 20 minutes device lock that forces you to re-type your password if the device is not touched during that 20 minutes perios. That is really anoying....
    Any way to 'overcome' that hassle ?
    Maybe a small background application that makes the device think that it is not idele for a certain period...

Many Thanks.
    The parameters your security people care about will be locked. That lock will be indicated by a small red padlock icon. You won't be able to edit or change those parameters. IT Policy issues are the reason many people purchase their own BlackBerry for personal use when they have a corporate-issued and controlled BlackBerry.

The password timer works off a key press. You will find it times out while watching a movie, or driving using your GPS if you don't press a key every 20 minutes. There's no software available to spoof it.

08-15-09 09:13 PM
    Thanks.
    Yes the red dot is there, so it can't be modified.
    20 minutes is the companyy policy, unfortunately.
    08-17-09 02:51 PM
    Hey...at least you dont have the policy set that when your battery reaches a certain %, like 5%, it auto wipes your BB.
    08-17-09 03:21 PM
    Hey...at least you dont have the policy set that when your battery reaches a certain %, like 5%, it auto wipes your BB.
    BES humor... At least, I hope you're joking!

08-17-09 03:23 PM
    BES humor... At least, I hope you're joking!

Nope! lol.. there's a IT policy that can be set so that when the battery reaches a certain %, it will wipe itself.
    08-17-09 03:37 PM
    Nope! lol.. there's a IT policy that can be set so that when the battery reaches a certain %, it will wipe itself.
    That seems counter-productive. Why would RIM have such an option?

08-17-09 03:39 PM
    That seems counter-productive. Why would RIM have such an option?

Only thing I can think of is a last ditch effort for people who have a short term memory loss problem.

Blackberry Domain -> Global Properties -> IT Policy -> Security Policy group -> (3/4ths the way down), "Secure Wipe if Low Battery"

08-17-09 03:44 PM
    Counter-productive to say the least!

08-17-09 03:47 PM
    Only thing I can think of is a last ditch effort for people who have a short term memory loss problem.

Blackberry Domain -> Global Properties -> IT Policy -> Security Policy group -> (3/4ths the way down), "Secure Wipe if Low Battery"

Any admin who enables that for a Tour deployment is going to have a LOT of unhappy users!!

08-17-09 03:49 PM
253 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD