03-22-14 03:47 PM
494 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    what is a I.T policy?
    12-20-09 12:33 PM
    I just talked to Blackberry support and removed the password policy successfully for my 8320 (Curve).

Here's a summary:
    - Install Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0
    - Open command prompt, and cd to c:\
    - Change directory to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\
    - Run command: loader.exe /resettofactory

A RIM console should popup and ask for the device password.
    Device will start wiping, after it reboots, the password policy should be removed.

Good luck everyone
    12-29-09 12:01 PM
    Crazy Question On This Topic

A few months back I left a gig (taking my 8900 curve with me) and started at a new shop about 48 hrs later. Over that weekend I removed my Curve off the old BES by deleting the IT Policy and then starting fresh an enterprise activation on the new BES. All was fine with all apps. Not an issue. Unfortunately, for whatever reason my old BES (specifically for contacts only) has sectioned off my contacts into two lists. One is from the new BES and the other is from the old BES.

In trying to export the contacts so I can get a full backup of the data... I am only able to export/sync the new contacts from the new BES. The 1000+ contacts from the old BES are stuck in limbo. I can't get to them.

Any thoughts on an easier way to consolidate the two contact lists/removing the old BES from the Contact list and moving ALL the contacts to the current/correct BES?

Thoughts would be appreciated.
    12-30-09 10:52 AM
    So for what it's worth... I just did a complete delete of the IT policy, reloaded all bits, and this old BES for the majority of my contacts is still showing up.
    12-30-09 12:59 PM
    @naviwilliams
    Thanks for your original post...worked like a charm on a 8300 I got from a friend.
    12-31-09 05:32 PM
  6. life_without_my_blackberry_is_pointless's Avatar
    you can also remove the IT policy by resetting your Blackberry to factory settings.

to do this you need to run command prompt.

you can just run cmd

then here are the steps one by one

C:\>cd program files

C:\Program Files>cd common files

C:\Program Files\Common Files>cd research in motion

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion>cd apploader

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader>loader.exe /resettofactory

Hit enter and let the phone do its thing. NOTE: everything will be wipped off ur blackberry.

(there is a space between loader.exe and /resettofactory)
    This worked BEAUTIFULLY! Cheers for sharing the knowledge!!
    01-01-10 07:02 AM
    GreeneInk, thanks for this post. I failed to read through the entire thread before running the original posters method. I did this to remove the IT policy from my wifes BB, and then was astounded when all of the sudden I had a locked firewall on my Bold. I ended up using the method you posted, and it worked like a charm. The only thing is I backed up beforehand, then restored and it relocked my firewall. So I ran it again and just started from scratch, which wasnt too bad since it didnt delete all my downloads. Just thought I'd add that in.

Would be nice if the original post was updated to reflect the firewall issue in the policy.bin file. I found the thread on the mobile sight, and didn't read through all 23 pages.

Ive been having the "enabled firewall issue" also. To disable, is easy enough, I will put intructions at the bottom of this post. Are any of you running a "leaked" OS? I have been running .230 on the Tour. As soon as I connect to DM it is enabling the firewall. I have never removed the vendor.xml file. As I Type, I am downgrading back to 4.7.1.61 because I was able to use DM to restore my contacts. Please post ALL your findings back here.

How to remove an IT policy from a BlackBerry smartphone

Method 3 is what works for most

Remove the IT policy using the Loader.exe application bundled with BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.7 to 5.0.

Note: This method can only be used on a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 4.3 to 5.0. This is an alternate method for removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 4.3 to 5.0 and should be used only if the BlackBerry smartphone user cannot contact the system administrator.

Warning: This procedure can delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the data before performing this procedure. For more information on how to back up data, see KB12487.

Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
    From the Start menu, select Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    If using Microsoft Windows Vista, you may need to to right-click the Command Prompt application and choose Run as administrator.
    Navigate to the Apploader folder by typing cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and then pressing the Enter key.
    For computers using a 64 Bit version fo Microsoft Windows, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader
    Type loader.exe /resettofactory.
    Enter the BlackBerry smartphone password if prompted.
    01-04-10 02:32 PM
    The instructions only show for a PC but I have Desktop Manager on my MacBook Pro. Help please!!
    01-05-10 02:33 PM
    If you have verizon they can remove the policy on there end. Just call tech Support
    01-14-10 05:34 PM
    I have tried this process 3 times, my policy is still there all it blocks me from doing is uploading files through 3rd party apps. basically i want to add a photo to google latitude.
    01-22-10 07:01 PM
    Hey, i had same problem a few days ago i dl JL_Cmdr, I backed up my stuff on computer, then connected bb to computer ran this program and did factory reset, you can also get bbsak just google it and it will take yo to where you need to go. Good luck
    01-22-10 09:44 PM
    thanks pal great post got there in the end
    01-23-10 07:23 AM
    Again I know we are all adults (mostly), but this might cost you your job. Make sure you know the recoil of this before removing.
    01-23-10 07:26 AM
    I just talked to Blackberry support and removed the password policy successfully for my 8320 (Curve).

Here's a summary:
    - Change directory to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\

Device will start wiping, after it reboots, the password policy should be removed.

Good luck everyone

I knew there had to be a better way than to modify your desktop manager install. This has just saved me hours of wiping 30 blackberries. Cheers to you for finidng this!

Also, being a BES admin, please make sure that you aren't doing this while still employed with the company that is providing the blackberry for you. In my company, it would be considered circumventing company security...which leads to immediate termination.
    Last edited by drakison; 01-29-10 at 12:51 PM.
    01-29-10 12:48 PM
    Procedure
    Step 1 Ensure the Blackberry Desktop Manager is installed using Blackberry Internet Service, and not Blackberry Enterprise Server. If you are unsure, it would probably be a good idea to uninstall the Desktop Manager and start again.

----snip ---

FYI - Removing the I.T. Policy is really more for people that have bought a BlackBerry on eBay or something, and it came with an I.T. Policy and thus they can't install anything...***[/B][/CENTER]
    Jesus!! This is the finest thread ever. ONE SHOT deal, job done. I registered just to say thank you. We have all moved to iPhones around here and dumped the BES so people with BBs with the old policy were stuck with the lockdowns... this helped me get rid of the IT policy that was there.

Thanks for the excellent post and policy.bin file!!

Cheers...
    01-29-10 05:31 PM

Here's a summary:

Good luck everyone
    Wow! This worked...thank you for saving me from losing my mind I bought my curve of Ebay and was pretty disgusted when I couldn't download the apps!
    02-21-10 07:42 PM
    it works...
    thanksss....
    thanks a lott...
    02-26-10 05:57 AM
    i've clean the password..
    but i still cant disable the firewall setting..
    how can i done it?
    02-26-10 12:23 PM
    I'm new to this site so please bear with me. I posted the question already but might have put it in the wrong place. I have a BB 8700r (Rogers) and was able to remove the IT policy that was locking the password requirement but I still have a lock on the firewall enable/disable. The latest version of OS that I can find for this model is 4.2. I have searched the forums and everything that looks like it might be an answer requires version 4.3 or newer. I tried following the instructions anyway but it won't work. Can anyone help me get the lock off the firewall?
    02-26-10 03:53 PM
    I'm new to this site so please bear with me. I posted the question already but might have put it in the wrong place. I have a BB 8700r (Rogers) and was able to remove the IT policy that was locking the password requirement but I still have a lock on the firewall enable/disable. The latest version of OS that I can find for this model is 4.2. I have searched the forums and everything that looks like it might be an answer requires version 4.3 or newer. I tried following the instructions anyway but it won't work. Can anyone help me get the lock off the firewall?

me have the exact same problems..

Wow! This worked...thank you for saving me from losing my mind I bought my curve of Ebay and was pretty disgusted when I couldn't download the apps!

regarding this step...
    my phone is an 'unlocked' phone..
    if i reset it..
    would it disturbing the system..
    i mean..
    would it become 'lock' again?
    02-27-10 02:04 AM
    As you have found, the only known solution requires v4.3 software or higher. It looks like you are stuck with it.

For the lurkers, the details are in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...y-phone-81401/
    02-27-10 01:24 PM
    me have the exact same problems..

You don't have the same problem. Your profile shows you using a Bold, so you don't have the software version constraint. See the link I posted above.

regarding this step...
    my phone is an 'unlocked' phone..
    if i reset it..
    would it disturbing the system..
    i mean..
    would it become 'lock' again?
    Unlocking (for SIM lock to service provider) is one time only. Once it is unlocked it stays unlocked.
    02-27-10 01:28 PM
    Thanks for the info on removing an IT policy...it has just worked great on my 8820 flip
    Again, thanks
    05-12-10 06:30 PM
    I love you. Thanks.
    05-21-10 08:49 AM
    Removing the I.T. Policy is really more for people that have bought a BlackBerry on eBay or something, and it came with an I.T. Policy and thus they can't install anything...

Anyway, try following the instructions again, BUT, on your home PC, a PC that is not connected to your work domain...
    Thanks ALOT.
    05-21-10 08:51 AM
494 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD