What's the point of an IT policy?
    11-09-09 09:51 PM
    I need to remove the IT policy on my BB. I am somewhat confused by the incomplete context of several posts. When someone says XYZ will work or worked for them to remove the policy, it would be helpful if you clarify:

1. Whether the remedy fixed only the IT policy removal or whether it also enables removal of the firewall.

2. Whether after the remedy initially worked, the IT policy and/or the firewall returned after syncing or after some other event.

3. Whether there were any complications in using the device after using the remedy.

4. which post worked for you (username or post number, etc.)

In particular, without knowing the answers to 1-3, it is sometimes difficult to know what the better options are or to what extent the options worked without making assumptions about what the posters are referring to. All in all, this thread is helpful.
    FWIW, I followed the steps outlined in the very first post. and it did not work, at all... not entirely sure I want to bother with trying any other tips as the first one was time consuming enough ...
    11-10-09 12:12 PM
    ok, first off, there is a super easy way to look for an IT policy...go into options>status, type out b u y r, not necessary to input, the keystrokes are what count. if there are IT policies, you can a) do what other guy suggested at the begining of this forum, it may work. b) get the BES admin to push a blank policy on the device(only works if you can find the BES it was on) or c) try to return it to seller, let them deal with it.
    11-11-09 10:45 AM
    IT policies are parameters on a blackberry enterprise server, set to govern the devices on the BES. example, the admin can set an IT policy that disables yahoo chat if there is a company policy against using instant messaging programs. if the company dosen't want their end users browsing, there can be an IT policy against that too. there can be an IT policy for pretty well anything really, only limit is the admin's creativity. once removed from the BES, the IT policies are not removable by anyone other than the BES admin, even an OS reload won't fix it.
    11-11-09 10:51 AM
    Good to know when you have a unreasonable security team at work.
    11-13-09 06:05 PM
    Hello all:
    I had an IT Policy on my Verizon Storm 9530, and I used JL_Commander to remove it. It worked GREAT. Left ALL my 3rd party apps on the device and wiped the policy. Be sure to sync with databases and the like because contacts, calendar etc WILL disappear, but the policy will DEFINITELY BE REMOVED, and then just by syncing you can restore your data.
    What program is the JL_Commander? I am having a problem with my pearl flip that I bought on ebay. It has an IT restriction and I've tried to wipe it and reset it to factory but the enterprise software hasn't changed. Please let me know if you can offer any help with ideas on what to do to get rid of the IT program.
    11-18-09 08:16 AM
    How do you know if you even have an IT Policy

These are the things listed in my "services":

BBFS1 [GTALKNA1] (AES)
    WLM 2.1 [WLMNA01] (AES)
    peer [BBM_P2P] (3DES)

I have no idea what any of these are.
    11-18-09 04:17 PM
    ok, first off, there is a super easy way to look for an IT policy...go into options>status, type out b u y r, not necessary to input, the keystrokes are what count. if there are IT policies, you can a) do what other guy suggested at the begining of this forum, it may work. b) get the BES admin to push a blank policy on the device(only works if you can find the BES it was on) or c) try to return it to seller, let them deal with it.

thanks. this showed i had an IT Policy.

Can someone tell me how the **** I got an IT Policy installed after the fact?

I have had my phone close to 6 months. Just this month I all of a sudden have an IT Policy. It's my personal phone. I don't have an IT department at work, I am a student for godsakes.

Was something done in the upgrade of the software or something?
    11-18-09 04:26 PM
    thanks for the info
    11-19-09 12:05 AM
    I have just bought a used blackberry bold 9000 on ebay, and it has the Blackberry Enterprise on it and has the firewall enabled with no option to disable.

Also, the phone is unlocked - if i wipe the whole phone will the phone STILL be unlocked after? I just want to be able to download thid-party applications and use my blackberry as freely as i want!

Thanks
    12-01-09 06:48 AM
    Thank you so much for this post. I just had my Storm 2 released from my corp BES Server and I cant tell you how much it crippled my phone. It is back to its self now, however I have noticed that the firewall is still locked. I cant get into it to changed it at all. (That little pad lock is laughing at me)

Honestly I don't know what the importance of this is or if it could be a road block in the future while on the web. I would like to be able to change it should I need to. Is there a work around for this or am I just stuck with this remaining item from corporate? I followed all the steps and it was very easy to do, its just this one thing that didn't get resolved.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
    12-01-09 09:47 PM
    It worked like a charm on my curve 8320. Bought it on ebay and wasnt made aware of the IT policy by the seller. Nontheless, i'm sure I did this before but it wasnt as easy as you outlined it.

Thanks for this post
    12-01-09 11:16 PM
    "Thank you so much for this post. I just had my Storm 2 released from my corp BES Server and I cant tell you how much it crippled my phone. It is back to its self now, however I have noticed that the firewall is still locked. I cant get into it to changed it at all. (That little pad lock is laughing at me)

Honestly I don't know what the importance of this is or if it could be a road block in the future while on the web. I would like to be able to change it should I need to. Is there a work around for this or am I just stuck with this remaining item from corporate? I followed all the steps and it was very easy to do, its just this one thing that didn't get resolved."

I don't think the Firewall is "still" locked; I think this method CAUSED it to be locked. I did NOT have a Firewall before following these instructions and now I do. And it is a huge issue because it makes it so I can't access my voice mails via Visual Voice Mail. Verizon has NO idea how to fix this (tried over the phone and in person). So I would love to hear from someone if they know how to fix this.
    12-03-09 05:05 PM
    The original post was last updated in 2007 and is a bit outdated and overly complicated.

Here's an easier way that doesn't involve registry hacks...

1. Back up device using DM, close DM

2. Install BBSAK, and use the "Factory Reset" option under the Misc tab. NOTE: Do NOT use the wipe device option as this will delete all you're applications.

3. Open up DM again > Backup & Restore > Advanced. Restore databases (contacts, browser favs, messages, etc) from you backup, except for "policy." NOTE: Before opening DM w/ BB plugged in, make sure it's installed as BIS or disconnected from the network if you're on your company LAN. Otherwise it may just stick the policy right back on.

4. Enjoy your now policy free Blackberry.
    Last edited by LoSt180; 12-04-09 at 08:47 AM.
    12-03-09 09:19 PM
    On my first "backup" with Desktop Manager upon getting my S2, it went ahead and kindly installed a "blank IT" policy. Problem is now the thing is firewalled and I can't reset the security timer in order to use QuickLaunch. Grrr!
    12-03-09 11:14 PM
    The original post was last updated in 2007 and is a bit outdated and overly complicated.

Here's an easier way that doesn't involve registry hacks...

1. Back up device using DM, close DM

2. Install BBSAK, and use the "Reset to Factory Settings" option. Note: Do NOT use the wipe device option as this will delete all you're applications.

3. Open up DM again > Backup & Restore > Advanced. Restore databases (contacts, browser favs, etc) from you backup, except for "policy"

4. Enjoy your now policy free Blackberry.
    This didn't remove the policy on my Storm2. All I restored was my contacts and that's it. This is so frustrating. I swear RIM stinks sometimes.
    12-03-09 11:35 PM
    This didn't remove the policy on my Storm2. All I restored was my contacts and that's it. This is so frustrating. I swear RIM stinks sometimes.
    Hmm, it worked on my old Storm, and I just did it yesterday to my Storm2 since I'm leaving the company today. I don't see any references to a policy in Enterprise Activation, or in Security > Information. Of course my best measure that the policy is gone is that I can now use Facebook's Calendar and Contacts integration, and I don't get the firewall prompts from new applications...

Did you use "Factory Reset" in the Misc tab of BBSAK? I'll edit my post to make that more clear.
    12-04-09 08:43 AM
    thanks, this just saved me from buying my daughter a new phone.. sweet tips man!
    12-04-09 09:44 AM
    After calling VZ, who conferred with RIM, VZ sent me the following link from RIM:

RIM Instructions

Follow METHOD 3. I used Method 3 and it was easy and worked flawlessly. There is no trace of the IT policy and the firewall is no longer locked.

The IT policy and firewall settings do not return when I later use DM. My BB is now in an out-of-the box condition, with the wonderful exception that when I used the above method, my third party apps were not removed. I had to re-register the apps, but at least I did not have to re-load the apps.
    Last edited by generic username; 12-11-09 at 06:57 AM.
    12-10-09 09:34 PM
    Ive been having the "enabled firewall issue" also. To disable, is easy enough, I will put intructions at the bottom of this post. Are any of you running a "leaked" OS? I have been running .230 on the Tour. As soon as I connect to DM it is enabling the firewall. I have never removed the vendor.xml file. As I Type, I am downgrading back to 4.7.1.61 because I was able to use DM to restore my contacts. Please post ALL your findings back here.

How to remove an IT policy from a BlackBerry smartphone

Method 3 is what works for most

Remove the IT policy using the Loader.exe application bundled with BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.7 to 5.0.

Note: This method can only be used on a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 4.3 to 5.0. This is an alternate method for removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 4.3 to 5.0 and should be used only if the BlackBerry smartphone user cannot contact the system administrator.

Warning: This procedure can delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the data before performing this procedure. For more information on how to back up data, see KB12487.

Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
    From the Start menu, select Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    If using Microsoft Windows Vista, you may need to to right-click the Command Prompt application and choose Run as administrator.
    Navigate to the Apploader folder by typing cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and then pressing the Enter key.
    For computers using a 64 Bit version fo Microsoft Windows, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader
    Type loader.exe /resettofactory.
    Enter the BlackBerry smartphone password if prompted.
    12-12-09 03:10 PM
    Greeneink, that is the method I used and it's great that you cut and pasted the instructions. It is interesting that the leaked .230 OS causes the firewall to remain when you use DM. This is one more reason that makes me wary of using a leaked OS, despite the huge temptation that I battle every day using 4.7 on my Tour.

If you downgrade to the official 4.7 and you still have problems, I hope that you report them here.
    12-13-09 01:48 PM
    Does anyone here know why in the world the BB DTM would load an IT policy on any BlackBerry that connects to it? This issue is driving me bonkers.
    12-13-09 10:37 PM
    Hi everyone,
    can anyone help me providing the beta OS 4.5 for my bv 8707v or is this impossible to install ont this BB.

many thanks in advance
    Werner
    12-15-09 01:08 PM
    i can not update my pearl 8100 v4.2 as it is connected with enterprise server(of someone i bought my bb from)and it is not active but when i try to update my bb to v4.5 it does not allow as it is connected with BES...........
    is there any way.....
    help will be greatly appreciated.......
    12-18-09 02:52 AM
    Method 3 doesn't work for a Mac OS X install of DM. Any suggestions for us Mac users?
    12-18-09 10:27 AM
494 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD