Made the mistake plugging my blackberry into my work computer to charge. Took it policies . These instructions work wonders and put my phone back to normal!! Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-08 09:34 PM
    The procedure here is not reccomended due to a RIM generated error in the policy.bin file. All the files that I have been able to find on the web have the same error. After the operation to remove the IT Policy, the Firewall remains locked. There is no known work around. I even called RIM and asked them how to remove an IT Policy and they told me that it could not be done. Oh yeah. Here's how.

The only valid way to fully remove an IT Policy is forst to be running an OS of version 4.3 or hogher or this procedure will not work. It may therefore be neccessary to upgrade the OS to 4.3 or better before proceeding.

If you are running OS 4.3 or better
    All you need is JL_Cmder. Sync your phone and do a Backup before starting. Once this is done, shut down Desktop Manager and run up JL_Cmder. From the main screen select menu item 5 (resettofactory). Follow exactly the instructions given by JL_Cmder and then wait until the phone has re-booted. Now do a Restore and you should now see that the Firewall (Options, Security Options, Firewall) now has no little red lock against it.

If you are running OS 4.2
    Sync your phone and do a Backup.
    Install and OS version greater than 4.2 (any version 4.3 or above will do). Check Options, ABout and read the 3rd line down.
    Run JL_Cmder and select menu option 5
    Follow the instructions exactly.
    When the phone has rebooted check Options, Security Options, Firewall now has no little red lock against it.
    Re-install your old OS
    Do a Restore.

To downgrade, simply uninstall OS 4.5 (but keep 4.2 installed) from your PC and Desktop Manager will prompt you to ask if it should downgrade.

I know that this proceedure is long and tedious but it does work reliably.
    What if I got a Blackberry 7290. I can not get a OS higher then 4.1
    11-26-08 12:05 PM
    Hi,

I read your post searching to remove an IT policy on an 8700r.

Not to discount your research and work but I found an easier way of removing the IT policy.

- backed up the device via dtm
    - went to advanced mode of the backup
    - on the right hand side I scrolled to policy and selected clear "policy"
    which removed any original IT policies.

Just an FYI... Maybe things have changed in the past year.

Sincerely
    Mike
    12-05-08 03:28 PM
    Hi I tried all the steps however I get the following error "Failed to process IT Policy. Please contact your sys admin" when my Desktop Manager starts. The password option still has the red padlock besides it.

I would really like to disable the password option.

Thanks in advance.
    12-08-08 05:38 AM
    Hi I tried all the steps however I get the following error "Failed to process IT Policy. Please contact your sys admin" when my Desktop Manager starts. The password option still has the red padlock besides it.

I would really like to disable the password option.

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to Crackberry.

You say you tried all the steps. Good but, there are alot of steps in this thread. Just what did you do please?

The message you saw means that you have moved or deleted the policy.bin file and Desktop Manager cannot find it. It looks in the place where the registry entry tells it to look. To eliminate the message, you need to remove the registry entry HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager.

Please get back here and we will try and talk you down to a safe landing.
    12-08-08 05:49 AM
    What if I got a Blackberry 7290. I can not get a OS higher then 4.1
    Then you have to get the Policy removed by the IT dept. that put it there or use the original method that naviwilliams lays out in his OP. However you may find that this results in your phone being left with a locked Firewall due to the error in policy.bin (a RIM bug btw).
    12-08-08 05:51 AM
    I am new to Blackberry and originally got a 8820 used on ebay. I could not play audible files and was getting a firewall error and that's when I realized that there is such a thing as IT policy. I do not work for any company and this is personal phone. I tried all the steps detailed in this thread including JLCymdr, but that did not remove the policy. After lots of frustration, I decided that it was no use and I was able to return it to the ebay seller.

I still like the phone very much and so bought a brand new 8820 and over the weekend, installed OS 4.5 and audible softare. I was able to disable the firewall and was actually able to paly the audible files! I synchronized the contacts, etc and notice this morning that the dreaded firewall lock has come on again and I cannot disable it. I cannot play the audible files either. This is very frustarting and I do not know what to do.

Which part of the whole process should I do again?

Ravi
    12-08-08 11:51 AM
    We have invested some 5 hours of tech time in this issue. This BB BOLD (AT&T) has been unlocked. Never synced to anything.

We have attempted every fix published, including the one you posted herein. We are unable to remove the IT policies nor unlock the Firewall.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I am about to escalate this issue by communicating it to every senior IT exec with all the meaningful ISPs in the world.

Thanks much.
    12-08-08 09:22 PM
    Thanks for your suggestions.

We have invested some 5 hours of tech time in this issue. This BB BOLD (AT&T) has been unlocked. Has never been synced to anything.

We have attempted every fix published, including the one you posted herein to remove the IT policies and unlock the Firewall. We have not succeeded.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I am about to escalate this issue by communicating it to every senior IT exec with all the meaningful ISPs in the world.

Thanks much.
    12-08-08 09:25 PM
    Followed original steps to try remove IT policy after purchasing pearl on the bay. When i go into DM and try to configure serial ports etc it says "device not found" No matter what i do or how many times i reinstall software. My ports are fine tho, they work with all my other devices and even charge my blackberry but for some reason when im in DM it says "device not found"

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    12-09-08 05:06 AM
    Did you try using the detect option? I wonder if the device has issues...

Followed original steps to try remove IT policy after purchasing pearl on the bay. When i go into DM and try to configure serial ports etc it says "device not found" No matter what i do or how many times i reinstall software. My ports are fine tho, they work with all my other devices and even charge my blackberry but for some reason when im in DM it says "device not found"

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    12-11-08 12:34 PM
    before i try this, can anyone answer the following:

i just got my blackberry from work. IT set up my e-mail on it (BES i assume) but now it also has the firewall/password policies on it.

Can i do any of the tricks listed here to remove the policy, but still get my work/corporate BES e-mail?

thanks
    12-19-08 02:34 PM
    Honestly at this point I am just thinking about swapping my phone to a new curve with a new pin and esn

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 07:56 PM
    every time i try to open the application loader or check for updates for the device through BB Desktop i get an error message on my computer: The Application Loader Wizard requires the BB Device Manager to be installed. Please contact customer support.

i just recently followed the steps and successfully removed my IT policy, allowing me to do away w/ my password protection bs

really just want to upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5, what's wrong here?
    12-28-08 04:53 AM
    ok for one if there is an it policy on your device and you dont have a bes admin and even if you do and the IT policy is on the device when u purchase what you can do is contact your carrier and they will verify the it policy is on device and they will get you to RIM to have the policy removed you risk destoring your device by doing other unsupported ways and if you bought it off ebay or a friend there is no longer a warranty so then you have no phone. be smart take the safe path when it comes to a blackberry with IT policy.
    01-01-09 11:00 AM
    Thanks sooo much it totallly worked!
    01-13-09 10:48 PM
    I had an old "bricked" 7290 that is no longer connected to any BES. Was able to reload OS 4.1 using DM, but it still had an IT policy on it that was mucking things up. The policy.bin registry trick worked perfectly! It's up and running with no restrictions now. I'm probably not gonna use it for anything because my Curve is 1000x better than the 7290, but it was an interesting experiment.
    01-22-09 12:38 PM
    Good...But I can't disable brandmayer(red lock present). Please help!!!
    02-15-09 11:43 PM
    I am using bold 9000 now. But my company has an IT Policy for many things and one of them is preventing user to use Blackberry messenger and Windows Live messenger. I tried to wipe out the handset following the steps mentioned here and the BB is able to access everything.

However, I need to set up my work email account still on the BB and company is using BES, when I connect via usb to the Desktop Manager, the same IT policy kicks in and back to square one. Any advice how to get around the IT policy?
    02-16-09 09:51 AM
    FYI to all. I upgraded my 8800 to a 9000. Used the procedure in the first post and successfully removed the IT policy from my 8800.

Google is a beautiful thing!!
    02-18-09 04:28 PM
    you can also remove the IT policy by resetting your Blackberry to factory settings.

to do this you need to run command prompt.

you can just run cmd

then here are the steps one by one

C:\>cd program files

C:\Program Files>cd common files

C:\Program Files\Common Files>cd research in motion

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion>cd apploader

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader>loader.exe /resettofactory

Hit enter and let the phone do its thing. NOTE: everything will be wipped off ur blackberry.

(there is a space between loader.exe and /resettofactory)
    02-19-09 08:28 PM
    Should I check the firewall setting?. Firewall is set to "enabled" and I cannot change it either
    You can change it if you have 4.5 or later and JL Cmdr. BUT.... it might come back if you reload files.
    02-20-09 05:57 PM
    OK, so I've been strugling with the same issue for the last few days. Tried the virus.bin policy, the policy.bin policy, doing a security wipe, doing a javaloader -usb WIPE, all to no avail after I made the mistake of trying to charge my personal bberry at work.

So am I totally screwed? I have mostly everything up and running again with the exception of any form of IM (OZ that came with it or any other third party IM). Basically can't disable the firewall.

Plz help!!!
    Have you tried learning how to use JL Cmdr?
    02-20-09 06:01 PM
    I have an old company phone that was given to me for personal use but when i took it down to the store to get it switched to my account they said it had a "company lock" and couldnt do it unless the owner of my company came in to the store to give permission for it to be unlocked, would removing the IT Policy get rid of this lock?
    03-03-09 02:03 PM
    I dont generally write back to say thanks cos im a selfish man but you guys helped me sort out my stupid policy riddle blackberry! Shes now running purrrfectly!

Many thanks.
    03-03-09 05:42 PM
494 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD