a l

We are not faulting BBM, what we are faulting is the way they are pushing it,

BBM has a lot to offer, if other people have it, you need to advertise it as a group tool, show you AND your friends using it.
    I didn't say you were. The point I was trying to make is the ads make sense to me because BBM is something they should be advertising. But I do see what you are saying in the way they are doing it. I think the ads are fine but there is always room for differing views.
    Last edited by TheIgster; 07-19-10 at 12:26 PM.
    07-19-10 12:19 PM
    The point I was trying to make is the ads make sense to me because BBM is something they should be advertising.
    I agree! They should be advertising BBM, their awesome physical keyboards and their advantage over touch-keyboard only devices for pounding out more emails etc. in less time, the fact that everything "just works," etc.
    07-19-10 12:26 PM
    I would suggest doing an ad showing young people at a concert spotting and scanning BBM barcodes. http://crackberry.com/seen-any-black...-out-and-about

The barcodes are a feature that I don't think has been fully implemented yet. A few days ago I found a site that offered a free theme. One way to get the files for the theme was by scanning the barcode. That was quicker and faster than providing my email address and getting a link sent to me.
    07-19-10 12:26 PM
    Nice one.
    I could really see this getting more attention then the ads they have now.

I came up with a GREAT BBM ad whilst driving today!

Start off with a Guy mid 20's on a dock with his Dad washing the boat.
    His dad gets an email on his Blackberry and says
    " Looks like I have to take care of something at the office, the boat is yours for the day"
    The Mid 20's Guy jumps on BBM and sends a message to his buddies, PAN to screen friend 1-3 have a "D" then "R" with replied on their way, cut in with Friend 4 is on his couch watching a movie on his NON BB Touchscreen smartphone. Cut back to the boat and Friends 1-3 and Mid 20's guy are on the water, one friend says "Where is Friend 4" Guy says " Damn! I forgot he doesn't have BBM....... Fade out to BBM slogan.
    07-19-10 01:12 PM
    I came up with a GREAT BBM ad whilst driving today!

Start off with a Guy mid 20's on a dock with his Dad washing the boat.
    His dad gets an email on his Blackberry and says
    " Looks like I have to take care of something at the office, the boat is yours for the day"
    The Mid 20's Guy jumps on BBM and sends a message to his buddies, PAN to screen friend 1-3 have a "D" then "R" with replied on their way, cut in with Friend 4 is on his couch watching a movie on his NON BB Touchscreen smartphone. Cut back to the boat and Friends 1-3 and Mid 20's guy are on the water, one friend says "Where is Friend 4" Guy says " Damn! I forgot he doesn't have BBM....... Fade out to BBM slogan.
    Man... that was awesome. Good stuff.
    07-19-10 02:31 PM
    The reason these commercials are highlighting
    BBM is because that is what appeals to a lot
    of the younger crowd right now. I have also
    heard that it is a lot easier to ask someone for
    their PIN vs. phone number.

Of course adding facebook and twitter could
    be nice, the BB does not have the best clients
    IMO for Facebook, IM apps and Twitter. If
    you think about it, and to be realistic, if you're
    there for twitter and facebook and don't care
    much about other features like push mail, then
    you can get that from pretty much all the top
    OS platforms. So I understand why RIM would
    choose BBM as that is one of the main reasons
    why consumers (using for personal use) may
    want to keep a BlackBerry. And once all your
    friends are using it and you have a group chat,
    it can be really hard to switch to a different
    platform.

Example1... this girl I know, she loves everything
    about the new iPhone and keeps talking about
    it, but her main reason for not getting one is
    because of her sisters, cousins and mom all have
    a BlackBerry and they either bbm or have group
    chats with each other. It's just that easier.

Example2... security guard at my school didn't
    want to leave his berry because he felt it was
    a lot easier to get bbm contact info and mass
    message parties to people as he is a promoter.
    Also felt he could easily ask for a girl's pin #
    vs. a telephone number. He says that his
    success rate is a lot higher asking for bbm.

So I know RIM knows what they're doing when
    it comes to commercials and why they chose
    bbm vs. facebook, twitter, etc..
    07-19-10 02:57 PM
    Thats all RIM really has, is BBM to keep people around. If access to BBM was given to developers and a desktop/android or iphone app was created ... you'd see a HUGE shift in the consumer market. Its sad that all the signs are clear of a company on the down slide. It happened to a great company like Motorola, but they made a come back but not after almost being gone for 2yrs.

The ads are good but being used as a tool to keep customers they need more. We're all smart enough to think for ourselves and see past these ads right? The same people you have on BBM have either a gtalk, ymsg, aim/aol, or icq acct. and you can just text them.

RIM a great company, but they need to understand the consumer market a bit more. A phone is not just a phone anymore.
    BBM is definitely not all RIM has to offer. In the 4 years I have been using Blackberry, I have used BBM once for a total of around 10 minutes and didn't see a use for it.. If I wish to chat with someone, I call or text them, as the majority of people I know do not have Blackberry's. RIM offers a mostly reliable and safe device that doesn't drop calls and is the undisputed king of emails. Emails, security, reliability and one **** of a battery life is what keeps me with RIM. Have you tried Windows Mobile? Download the wrong program and your device goes bunk..
    07-19-10 03:14 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD