While Black Berry Messenger is a great application and one of the pillars of the BB platform, I don�t believe it has transferable value. It won�t sell BB�s the way App�s sell iPhones. I believe the average Smartphone consumer would not understand the value of BBM, and will not understand the differences between BBM and AIM, Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger or cross platform apps like Trillian, Beejive, or IM+. Further they would most likely just see it as SMS or Texting, and not see the difference. Surely People who are on BB�s love it, but it�s value is too subtle to generate market appeal.

That being said I think the right approach for RIM now is to capitalize on the Image of the iPhone as a Toy. This is an image Apple itself promotes by having Guitar Hero and Farmville apps demoed as part of the iPhone 4 launch. Also the time is ripe to focus on Apple�s recent mistakes in the antenna design on the iPhone 4.

What I propose is not an Apple bashing negative campaign, but a set of comparative ads that highlight the strengths of the BlackBerry platform while showcasing some deficiencies in the Apple platform. Also one of the tenets I propose would be to focus on the younger demographics� want to be important and taken seriously. Show casing BlackBerry as a platform that handles �What�s Important� or where �Function Meets Fun�. This would be a central theme that could be underscored by showing the iPhone�s Toy persona, and comparing that to Black Berry�s security, messaging integration, and fun aspects like social integration.

I will provide 2 examples of Ads I feel would make a tremendous impact for RIM.

1. �If it�s important, it�s on a BlackBerry�
    a. Setting is a caf� or cafeteria, maybe a conference room table. A 40ish man is sitting at the table with a BB (maybe the new 9800 running os6) and an iPhone 4. He is playing with the iPhone while the BB sits idle. Enter another person, who reacts to the iPhone, �Hey Jim, what do you have there?�. Response �Just my kid�s phone. I have to bring it back because it keeps dropping signal. Pretty cool though, huh?� . IPhone makes a loud Fart sound and both laugh. Just then the LED starts blinking on the BB. Jim dismissively drops the iPhone and picking up the BB, saying �This is Important�. We see the screen on his BB and it is an important email. Could be a work email like �The system is going down� or �They aren�t taking the sale� or a personal message like �Billy fell and broke his wrist, we are on the way to ER� (message itself just has to be important, you can use different flavors to highlight business or personal use) Jim reacts to the message saying, �Not Good� and then we see him select the sender of the message, then select option to send that person a BBM, BBM opens and he types out �What Happened!?� and then we the response start to come back�Screen fades to black, slogan appears: �If it is important, it�s on a BlackBerry�.

2. �A gentle reminder��
    a. Setting is a busy airport. Camera follows an executive looking type who is plowing through the crowds looking at his iPhone. He finishes what he is doing and drops the iPhone into his pocket. A 2nd man comes around the corner quickly and bumps into the executive. He excuses himself, maybe picks up the Exec�s bag, and heads on his way. Camera follows 2nd Man, who promptly pulls out the Exec�s iPhone he just pick pocketed. He slides the unlock function on the iPhone and sees a pass code request. He laughs and says �Jailbreak time!� and is clearly pleased as he walks off. Transition to next day. Another executive (maybe Female) walking through the same airport, looking at her BB. Show her posting a message to Twitter, Face Book, and Linked In that she is headed to a conference or whatever. (highlight the social integration on BB6, even though the person is more of a business user). No sooner does she put her BB in her purse then the Same thing occurs where she bumps into the same man from the prior scenario. Again the camera follows the pick pocket. He pulls out the BB, winces and says �Can�t do a thing with this!� and drops the Blackberry in the trash as he walks off. Screen fades out�slogan appears (Now I have 2 options for the slogan) �A gentle Reminder about security�� or �A gentle reminder to stick to what you are good at�� The second is more directed at Apple, but not sure how well that comes across.

So I think those sorts of concepts quietly highlight the strength of BB including some of the fun features, appeal to the need to be taken seriously, and poke at the competition a bit.

What do you all think?
    07-15-10 10:17 AM
    My biggest problem with both proposed commercials are that they are both very
    business-centric. That is not a market RIM needs to court as much as the general
    consumer.

I do agree about the current ads. As I previously stated, rather than playing up
    a closed communication system that a potentially new customer may not know about and
    I have yet to hear a salesperson emphasize it would have been much better if
    they showed the BlackBerry as to total messaging / social networking powerhouse.
    That has youth and general consumer appeal written all over it.

Think of how much more effective the barber ad would have been had he said
    "... and without missing a beat, I can post it to Twitter, my Facebook page, etc
    all from my BlackBerry."
    That people would get.
    07-15-10 10:54 AM
    Thats all RIM really has, is BBM to keep people around. If access to BBM was given to developers and a desktop/android or iphone app was created ... you'd see a HUGE shift in the consumer market. Its sad that all the signs are clear of a company on the down slide. It happened to a great company like Motorola, but they made a come back but not after almost being gone for 2yrs.

The ads are good but being used as a tool to keep customers they need more. We're all smart enough to think for ourselves and see past these ads right? The same people you have on BBM have either a gtalk, ymsg, aim/aol, or icq acct. and you can just text them.

RIM a great company, but they need to understand the consumer market a bit more. A phone is not just a phone anymore.
    Last edited by devGOD; 07-15-10 at 03:44 PM.
    07-15-10 12:21 PM
    I have to agree that the new commercials aren't going to generate a lot of new purchasers. I practically live on BBM throughout the day (as well as FBIM, AIM, GT...), and if I did switch from BB, there would be plenty of options to use instead.

I think the worst part about these ads is coming out at the same time as the iPhone ads showing off video chatting. There is real appeal to the way those ads are done. The BBM ads are just a little off from showing people something that could interest a lot of people. Almost everything the BBM commercials show can be done on any smart phone using other IM systems.

RIM really needs to step up and show WHY people will want a BlackBerry, and what they can do with it - not just talk about a feature (without even showing a BlackBerry).
    07-15-10 03:45 PM
    My biggest problem with both proposed commercials are that they are both very
    business-centric. That is not a market RIM needs to court as much as the general
    consumer.
    Yeah I did slant those a bit. But I think you could Change the people and the setting a bit. Make #1 2 soccermoms in a starbucks. Then show the messaging integration like responding to an email via BBM through the contact. Or posting simultaneously to different social networks while the airprort.

My point is don't enumerate these features, show them. That and use BB's enterprise reputation to attract consumers by pointing out that if your serious and your important you belong on BB. Even if you are a soccermom.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 04:07 PM
    I think the BBM ads will attract NEW smartphone users, they will see they don't have to send MMS's anymore which will save them money

exisiting smartphone users know about having Yahoo, AIM, MSN, and so on, I know a lot of people who don't have any of those chat clients, they have Work domain, and service provider domain email addresses only, none of the free services with the chat clients, BBM would be new to them.

I very much agree they should be marketing using facebook/twitter/ what every other fad as much as BBM,

I think Blackberry has much more to offer than Just BBM, they need to have someone using their blackberry on a long hike, and making a call, showing battery life 4-5-6 hours later, while using it as an MP3 player and sending pics to friends while hiking over BBM, and on Facebook.
    07-15-10 04:09 PM
    Can't argue with that Engine and I think you are on the right track. Show a
    "soccermom" using her BB to manage her family, a bunch of 20 somethings planning
    their night out via BBM groups, show how seamlessly FB, MySpace, Twitter, all the
    IM apps work on the device.

It's not enough to allude to a program that new potential customers don't get
    without "showing" them why it is something they want.
    07-15-10 04:18 PM
    Can't argue with that Engine and I think you are on the right track. Show a
    "soccermom" using her BB to manage her family, a bunch of 20 somethings planning
    their night out via BBM groups, show how seamlessly FB, MySpace, Twitter, all the
    IM apps work on the device.

It's not enough to allude to a program that new potential customers don't get
    without "showing" them why it is something they want.
    people are too dumb to be lead to where the water is, they'll die of dehydration if you don't shove their head in the river.
    07-15-10 05:01 PM
    Funny but so so true
    07-15-10 05:13 PM
    I wish BBM could integrate other services, much like AIM now let's you chat with Facebook friends. I know more friends without BBM than with it, but everyone uses some kind of instant messaging service.

07-15-10 08:16 PM
    ... I know more friends without BBM than with it...
    That may change.
    BBM has grown more than 500% during the last fiscal year...
    RIM looking to new ways to use BlackBerrys - Tech & Gadget - MSN CA

RIM likely wants to capitalize on that.
    07-18-10 05:51 PM
    As long as it's closed communication I don't see how it can expand without
    integrating other services.
    07-18-10 06:16 PM
    I still don't understand the allure of BBM. While being able to add files and use unlimited characters (for those of us on VZ) is nice, I find it a pain to open a separate program just to talk to someone else with a BB. This is especially true in an age where most smartphone plans include unlimited SMS messages to anyone on any network. Why would I want my conversations in 2 different places when the SMS folder can hold them all? To put it bluntly, after 3+ years and 2 blackberries, I have exactly 0 BBM contacts in my list. In my opinion RIM needs to focus their marketing on something else entirely, but to each their own I guess.
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 07-18-10 at 09:08 PM.
    07-18-10 08:50 PM
    I think the new commercials are hitting the mark. It's about time RIM shines the light on such a unique feature of Blackberry.

07-18-10 09:01 PM
    BBM is a great feature and should be highlighted but other features should be shown some light too

I like the ideas...but they are too business focused and not as focused on the consumer as AG stated....
    07-18-10 09:23 PM
    I came up with a GREAT BBM ad whilst driving today!

Start off with a Guy mid 20's on a dock with his Dad washing the boat.
    His dad gets an email on his Blackberry and says
    " Looks like I have to take care of something at the office, the boat is yours for the day"
    The Mid 20's Guy jumps on BBM and sends a message to his buddies, PAN to screen friend 1-3 have a "D" then "R" with replied on their way, cut in with Friend 4 is on his couch watching a movie on his NON BB Touchscreen smartphone. Cut back to the boat and Friends 1-3 and Mid 20's guy are on the water, one friend says "Where is Friend 4" Guy says " Damn! I forgot he doesn't have BBM....... Fade out to BBM slogan.
    07-19-10 12:03 AM
    I came up with a GREAT BBM ad whilst driving today!

Start off with a Guy mid 20's on a dock with his Dad washing the boat.
    His dad gets an email on his Blackberry and says
    " Looks like I have to take care of something at the office, the boat is yours for the day"
    The Mid 20's Guy jumps on BBM and sends a message to his buddies, PAN to screen friend 1-3 have a "D" then "R" with replied on their way, cut in with Friend 4 is on his couch watching a movie on his NON BB Touchscreen smartphone. Cut back to the boat and Friends 1-3 and Mid 20's guy are on the water, one friend says "Where is Friend 4" Guy says " Damn! I forgot he doesn't have BBM....... Fade out to BBM slogan.
    I like it
    07-19-10 12:50 AM
    I like that too
    07-19-10 12:57 AM
    As I've mentioned before, I think the ads are just fine. BBM is a great feature of BB's and something excellent to focus on. In my family, my wife and I are both using BB's and use BBM all the time. My stepdaughter and all her friends all use BBM as well.

It's all about the real keyboards and the quick messaging for the whole family and friends.

When I had my iPhone, I don't know how many times my wife said, "Sure wish you had a BB so I could just send you a quick BBM like I do my daughter." Now that I do, she sends BBM's all the time.
    07-19-10 02:14 AM
    a l
    As I've mentioned before, I think the ads are just fine. BBM is a great feature of BB's and something excellent to focus on. In my family, my wife and I are both using BB's and use BBM all the time. My stepdaughter and all her friends all use BBM as well.

It's all about the real keyboards and the quick messaging for the whole family and friends.

When I had my iPhone, I don't know how many times my wife said, "Sure wish you had a BB so I could just send you a quick BBM like I do my daughter." Now that I do, she sends BBM's all the time.
    We are not faulting BBM, what we are faulting is the way they are pushing it,

BBM has a lot to offer, if other people have it, you need to advertise it as a group tool, show you AND your friends using it.
    07-19-10 07:30 AM
    I think BBM is a good software, but I think they need to focus on the apps available for the blackberry. I love my blackberry but compared to the Iphone the selection of apps is just woeful, and they are more expensive. One day people will get bored of BBM and move onto the next big thing.
    07-19-10 07:55 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Blackberry's were business handsets? Why should RIM sway from what made them the great success that they are...? It confuses me when people diss the iPhone for being a FUN phone and tries to then transform or down RIM for being more reliable and secure. Get an iPhone if you want games and TouchFlo. What do teens need with Blackberry's anyway?

I've had a Palm Pre, HTC Hero and 4 Blackberrys and guess what I'm back to? Yep, a Blackberry. I need a practical, usable, functional and work horse of a phone, not something that just looks cool and I can swipe my hand across every now and then.
    Last edited by mstiffany7; 07-19-10 at 08:38 AM.
    07-19-10 08:36 AM
    Maybe you dont realize how many people don't even know you can use 3rd party messaging Apps on phones. Not everyone is an addict like us.

It's an extremely functional free messaging system. Has a large benefit to me. It also works over Wifi.
    07-19-10 12:00 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Blackberry's were business handsets? Why should RIM sway from what made them the great success that they are...?
    Your argument is valid until 2006 when RIM introduced the Pearl 8100
    07-19-10 12:12 PM
    I simply found the new BBM spots to be weird. "You can decorate with your BB!" and the camera moves to the odd skull item in the shop? The Hispanic man hunting down cars to send to people, etc? They were a little weird. I use BBM everyday for both work and personal use, but the ads seemed to highlight strange things people do with BBM more than anything. Another case in point (one of my favorite features though) is the girl who comes off as a stalker talking about knowing when messages are read.
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-19-10 at 12:16 PM.
    07-19-10 12:13 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD