I'd like to know if you can set up multiple email addresses on BBM for example Hotmail accounts if I have two with diff contacts inside & i only have a PIN so im confused. If i exchanged pin with someone and they sent me an IM, which account will i receive the message on? Can I create a nickname on both accounts? or just 1 nickname to be used with those 2 accounts?

For security purposes, I'd also like to know if I accidentally disclosed my pin to a stranger will they be able to get my personal info like my real name (not the nickname used in BBM) phone number etc

Not yet a BB user just wondering how BBM works and why its so popular before i get one
    09-06-11 05:15 AM
    You can only have one BBM account/name on your BlackBerry.

Even if you add a contact via an email address, BBM contacts are set by the device PIN. So using a different email address will have no effect on BBM.

Someone else cannot access your personal information via your PIN.
    09-06-11 05:54 AM
    Only 1 account busy unless you have two phones

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-11 05:56 AM
    which means i cant use BBM with multiple Hotmail accounts?
    09-06-11 07:10 AM
    I think you are confused as to what BBM is. BBM stands for BlackBerry Messenger - it is an instant messaging service used to talk from one balckberry to another. It is not necessary to have ANY email address tied to your phone to use it - they are completely separate things.
    Now that doesn't mean that you can't get emails from multiple addresses on your device. I currently receive emails from two accounts on my BB but I'm sure you could do many more.
    BBM is popular because you can see when messages are sent/received, send large files, pictures, videos, have group chats, share calendars and to do lists and many other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. And you get all of that without getting charged for a text message from your carrier. And its encrypted so that's cool too (that was the whole big deal in the London riots).

Anyway - hope that helped!
    09-06-11 08:18 AM
    Yes, BlackBerry Messenger is an instant messaging application. Similar Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger.

The difference is that 1) it can only currently be used to communicate with other BlackBerry phone and 2) you can only have one username/account in BBM.

Other IM applications allow you to log in and out with multiple user names. BBM does not allow this. You cannot log out and you cannot have more than one account. Not sure why you would need to. If you add a contact in BBM, you add them and they are in your contacts list.

As noted above, this is not associated with your email address, per se. You create a single username in BBM and that's what you use.

If you have a need to have different usernames for different situations/contacts, then you probably will want to use a different IM application.
    09-06-11 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD