Not sure where else to put this, so here goes...

For anyone installing BB OS's using Windows 7, how do the install exe's and Apploader run for you? I've got a fairly new Asus laptop with a Core I5 (I think) and 8gb of RAM running Win7, and the BB apps run like crap. Just starting the installation app takes forever; recognizing the connected BB takes forever, and BBSAK won't even run. And I could go have a coffee and a cigarette waiting for DM to do anything.

I haven't seen anyone else complain about poor performance of RIM apps, so I'm wondering if it's a common issue, or if I just didn't get enough horsepower.
    09-24-12 11:39 AM
    DM is kind of slow but works. To get BBSAK to run I have to open task manager and kill everything bb or rim related. BBSAK will wipe but won't load an OS which is fine sine loader works. OS installs seem fine to me.

Edit: You should have plenty of power but maybe a lot of Asus bloat. Also are you using an administrator account?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-24-12 at 12:03 PM.
    09-24-12 12:01 PM
    I thought I got rid of all of the bloat, but who knows.

Yes, I run Apploader as an admin, but not everything else.

Doesn't matter much at the moment - the HD totally bought it yesterday in the middle of trying to start Apploader (curiously, after installing a ton of Windows updates). Tpunbootable and totally unresponsive except for loud clicking. So the lappie is out of commission until I can wring a repair out of Asus.
    09-24-12 12:29 PM
    Fairly new, no store exchange possible or not purchased from a store?

I always update mine and never has caused a failure, knocking on wood.
    09-24-12 01:03 PM
    That's a lot of firepower! I got 3 gigs of ram on home PC running Win 7 x64 and I couldn't get BBSAK started the first time. I then had to lower firewall and antivirus constraints and could get BBSAK started. After that, it was normal. I didn't feel anything slow.

One reason could be I have only worked with Win 7 (both in office and at home) and BB related items so I can't really tell if Win 7 could be problematic.
    09-24-12 01:13 PM
    Fairly new, no store exchange possible or not purchased from a store?

I always update mine and never has caused a failure, knocking on wood.
    Staples, no extended warranty (I never get those). Within 14 days, they'll take it back in the store. After that and within a year, I have to take it up with Asus.

For some tasks, the thing ran ok. But for many others, like installing software, reading a cd/dvd, and starting some applications (like crApploader), it was abnormally slow. Like it will hang for a minute or more before actually starting a selected task. No anti-virus installed, just Windows Defender. I tried one a/v that had gotten decent reviews and it slowed the damn thing down to a crawl.

I thought Win7 was supposed to be a decent running OS, and that Asus was supposed to make a good machine. This experience has left me unhappy with both; so I'm wondering if I just got a dog of a machine. I have a 4-year-old Mac Mini that runs rings around it. Except for auto-installing a BB OS through DM, which runs like a slug on that, too.
    09-24-12 02:29 PM
    Coming from XP to 7, I would say 7 is pretty slick, stable and competent. I got Commodo firewall and AVG free edition installed and with 3 gigs of ram, runs buttery smooth. Something else could be the problem I think.
    09-24-12 02:35 PM
    Not my experience with win 7 at all. A failing hd will cause many issues.

Edit: MSE is what I use also.
    09-24-12 02:38 PM
    Yes, something else has to be the problem. I only have 2gigs of Ram and everything is super fast and quick on my system running windows 7 ultimate. bbsak opens instantly and within 5 to 8mins it has wiped the system. loader takes about 20 to 30mins to install. So usually withing 30 Mins i can wipe and reinstall OS then spend another 30Mins to download and install apps and set up my phone just how i want and need it to be. DM however did take forever once when i tried to backup the OS and I cudnt even find the OS after that. So i usually just run bbsak and loader only. Also try make sure there is no internet connection running. Seems to speed up things abit.
    09-24-12 02:40 PM
    There is definitely something wrong with the hardware.

When I used BlackBerry, I had no issues with Desktop Software, apploader.exe, or BBSAK in Win 7-64 bit. I have Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, 4 GB RAM, and my hard disk has 196.3 GB in the Windows partition.

My AV is NOD32 from ESET.

I never tried any of the BlackBerry software on XP, but I had run Vista previously.
    09-24-12 03:11 PM
    Damn. Well, thanks for the info, everyone. We see what Asus has to say. Hopefully a new HD will solve its ills, if they'll even fix it. If not, I gotta go do more research.
    09-24-12 03:40 PM
    How long had the PC acted sluggish?

Were the clicking noises present earlier, or just this last time when the hard disk failed?

Was there any overheating previously?

Any physical damage (dropped laptop/moved laptop while it was running)?

Is it a Western Digital hard drive? Western Digital has diagnostic tools available here.

It sounds like it experienced a head crash, so the diagnostic tools won't help now, but that might be something for future use.
    09-24-12 04:01 PM
    How long had the PC acted sluggish?

Were the clicking noises present earlier, or just this last time when the hard disk failed?

Was there any overheating previously?

Any physical damage (dropped laptop/moved laptop while it was running)?

Is it a Western Digital hard drive? Western Digital has diagnostic tools available here.

It sounds like it experienced a head crash, so the diagnostic tools won't help now, but that might be something for future use.
    Checka you email.

Edit: Correction, it's a 2.3 ghz i3, not an i5. But still ...
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 09-24-12 at 05:52 PM.
    09-24-12 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD