Hi guys just switched from a Pearl to the 9700 a couple weeks ago and love it,
    only thing is, I hear great things about how fast you receive emails on your 9700, but mine take about 15-20 minutes after I see them in my inbox to receive them,
    is this normal?
    01-18-10 03:19 PM
    I'm sure it depends a great deal on the type of email service. I checked out of curiosity, and my work emails (we use Outlook at work) are delayed maybe 3-10 minutes. Gmail is sometimes delayed, but usually instantaneous.

Blackberry is known for "push" emailing, which basically means that it will more aggressively "look" for new emails than other smartphones, but it's not going to be instantaneous in some instances. Even if it's 5-10 minutes, I'm going to get that email a heck of lot quicker on a BB than I would having to log in on a computer.
    01-18-10 03:23 PM
    Thanks alot man, 15 minutes isnt too bad, I just was wondering what the average time was cause i wasnt sure if 15 minutes was long or if thats the average.
    01-18-10 03:41 PM
    I also use outlook and I have found that there are days when I receive the message on my phone first, and other days it comes to the inbox first. i supposed that has to do with the email carrier and volume of usage at the time, but I wouldn't swear on it.
    01-18-10 04:03 PM
    The email delivery time is not phone specific, it depends basically on your email account. Doesn't matter whether you have a Pearl, Storm or Bold your email will arrive at the same time.

Blackberry internet service checks for emails at regular (15 minute) intervals and pushes them to the phone. If an email is found and pushed then the interval drops and the check is done more regularly until such time as a check doesn't find new mail and it returns to 15 minute intervals.

The exception to this is your carriers blackberry email address, gmail or an email host that supports IMAP_IDLE as this enable's BIS to maintain a constant connection and not have to go checking for mail at 15 minute intervals.

If you search the forum there is an excellent article explaining fully the workings of BIS which is ultimately what's controlling the speed of your email arrival rather than your phone. The only difference the phone itself would make it whether it's a GPRS/EDGE device vs 3G or Wi-Fi as this would enable emails to download quicker however the BIS check and subsequent push would still occur at the intervals set out by BIS.
    01-19-10 07:11 AM
    This only happens to me when I'm in an area with bad coverage ..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-10 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD