The only issue I have with .419 (upgrade from .230) on Verizon is that my network icon says 1XEV instead of 3G. I still get 3G speeds but the icon is wrong. Definitely faster boots, all else seems about the same from .230.
    That's not a bug. RIM changed it sometime between .230 and the next build after that leaked. 1xEV is CDMA name for 3G.
    01-12-10 12:33 AM
    Runs very smoothly and so far works with most of the apps ive installed
    01-12-10 12:39 AM
    Lol, thanks. I always play cautious with electronics; I never violate my rule of not buying them within the first 6 months of their release. For example, the first batch of Playstation 2s had an issue with the circuit that resulted in defective units. The first Xbox 360s were susceptible to the red lights of doom. I always like to give the manufacturer time to tweak their devices and iron out any kinks. But, buoyed by the great experience I had with my retired 8830, I violated my rule by buying the Tour when it first became available. There's been **** to pay since. I definitely won't be making that mistake again.
    Yeah but with cel phones that upgrade every year or so if you wait 6 months for them to work out the bugs we would already have rumors/leaks about the next one as you get the old one. Tour was an excellent example of that. Who in their right mind would buy a Tour now with Tour2 just around the corner.
    01-12-10 12:43 AM
    It does, but not right away - it takes several battery pulls for the OS to "settle in" - then you get the dropdowns for the e-mail.

I was initially getting exception errors after resets (BerryWeather and BerryBuzz), but after several battery pulls they were gone.
    Can someone explain to me WTF "settling in" means?? I write computer code for a living, and while I am not an embedded systems expert, the whole idea that an OS needs to "settle in" sounds like a bunch of bull****. How can code behave differently because it has been reset 6 times? It doesn't make sense, yet it is repeated on this board over and over again.
    01-12-10 09:51 PM
    True. I code for a living as well but always wrote the statement off to an easy way to describe observed/perceived behavior. I could see maybe one or at most two resets changing things since the first might clear up some rogue memory and/or some app does something "special" during the reset sequence, but after that "it is what it is". That shouldn't happen in a protected JVM system, but I've seen other wierd things happen that shouldn't either.

That said, we're dealing with an OS parts of which may be 10 years old and may desparately need to be rewritten. Having worked on ancient code before, you sometimes even begin to doubt that the source code you have matches the code that's executing and you'd rather rewrite it than change something that has some other bad side-effect you can't see.

It seems to take RIM 1-2 years to make even a minor release and we see the same bugs come back. That's either a CM issue, less than stellar development productivity or a sign of decay and mold growing on the OS itself that makes it flaky at times.
    01-13-10 08:11 AM
    True. I code for a living as well but always wrote the statement off to an easy way to describe observed/perceived behavior. I could see maybe one or at most two resets changing things since the first might clear up some rogue memory and/or some app does something "special" during the reset sequence, but after that "it is what it is". That shouldn't happen in a protected JVM system, but I've seen other wierd things happen that shouldn't either.

That said, we're dealing with an OS parts of which may be 10 years old and may desparately need to be rewritten. Having worked on ancient code before, you sometimes even begin to doubt that the source code you have matches the code that's executing and you'd rather rewrite it than change something that has some other bad side-effect you can't see.

It seems to take RIM 1-2 years to make even a minor release and we see the same bugs come back. That's either a CM issue, less than stellar development productivity or a sign of decay and mold growing on the OS itself that makes it flaky at times.
    All very good points. The tone of my post was pretty harsh but I am not denying that there is no "settling in" period. Even software developers have superstitions and believe in some voodoo.

It is possible that the service books and all that kind of stuff can cause the OS to act differently, that the device does some kind of "learning" that helps it optimize battery or signal, or that a rickety/buggy OS does things at startup, perhaps unreliably, and needs to be forcefully coaxed into doing them via hard resets.

My question is really if anyone knows the OS well enough to have an idea WHY the "settling in" period makes the device run more smoothly because the empirical evidence seems to be there.
    01-13-10 12:37 PM
    Hi all,
    Im on bell and currently using 5.230 but my vvm doesnt work.
    Does this version have a working version of vvm?

Dont think 230 contained vvm

thanks
    01-13-10 02:05 PM
    My question is really if anyone knows the OS well enough to have an idea WHY the "settling in" period makes the device run more smoothly because the empirical evidence seems to be there.
    In the spirit of full disclosure, I can't say I know the OS well enough and unfortunately it seems to be somewhat difficult to do it other than trial and error. Perhaps some BB app devs can chime in from what they see from the API point of view. I've worked in enough languages on enough hw/sw combinations that mine is just an educated guess.
    01-13-10 05:07 PM
    ive been using it 4 awhile now its worth it just for the threaded txting
    01-13-10 09:51 PM
    I am running .230 right now, is it that much better?
    Can any former .230 users chime in?
    .419 seem to have some issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 10:02 PM

Waking up device - sometimes causes black screen or white screen. Normally out of sleep mode. Resolved by waiting a while for it to do it's thing. Or battery pull.

Battery life can be sporadic - has been reported by allot of users. But also allot have seen okay battery life.

Little bit more memory leakage. But more likely thrid party app's on users device causing this.

Bottom is..... the OS is fast, faster then .230 but with the above. it could be a pain to deal with.
    01-13-10 10:39 PM

Good question i'm also on .230 hybrid and everything has been perfect but as you know the saying goes curiosity killed the cat so i too would like to know if its worth the upgrade from .230.
    01-13-10 10:40 PM
    .419 seems to have borked opera 4.x, so if you use that browser alot, then dont do it..

beejive seems to act up at times.
    i've noticed no more/less battery drain with .419 over .230.
    all in all, if your happy with .230 keep it, the biggest change i noticed was increased boot time.. but considering the fact i rarely if ever reboot my blackberries, it may be a moot point for you as well. i mean really, its only a long boot time on .230 if your sitting there watching it.. i would usually reboot and shove it into my holster, or just watch some television or what ever to kill the whole 5minute boot time it used to have.

as for the whole learning thing.. yeah i think thats bs too.. unless the BB OS knows to reorder files during boot up to optimize and speed things up, i think its just wishful thinking, because even if it did do that, i've never seen any increase in speed for prolonged periods of time by doing it..
    01-15-10 03:50 AM
113 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD