and here i was noticing my battery lasts LONG now thab on .61...
    everything is smooth, camera is a lot faster, even has a "macro" focusing option!
    Threaded sms ftw!!
    no tabbed browsing yet though
    01-08-10 01:10 AM
    419 is the best leak I have ever had on the phone. I have nothing but good things to say about it!
    01-08-10 05:24 AM
    Battery life is fantastic on .419! Took it off the charger at 6:30 AM and put it back on about 11 PM with 70% left (light/moderate use). And I work in a brick building with less-than-desirable reception.
    01-08-10 06:16 AM
    Battery life is fantastic on .419! Took it off the charger at 6:30 AM and put it back on about 11 PM with 70% left (light/moderate use). And I work in a brick building with less-than-desirable reception.
    I'm not getting awesome life out of mine. My behavior is the same as far as I can figure but I'm averaging ~5% more battery drain per hour. Heck I had it holstered while I slept and the drain was 1.6% per hour. That's a lot of battery usage for being on standby.

I'll continue to monitor it, but I'm not impressed in this regard. I like other things though, so I'll just keep my spare juiced up and handy.
    01-08-10 06:19 AM
    Best OS yet in my opinion! Battery life exemplary, threaded sms is sweet, faster reboot and media player bug rectified. So glad I upgraded!
    01-08-10 06:21 AM
    Battery life is fantastic on .419! Took it off the charger at 6:30 AM and put it back on about 11 PM with 70% left (light/moderate use).

This is exactly what I was going to type !
    Before upgrading, my usage from 6:30 to 11pm would take
    me to 40%
    01-08-10 06:22 AM
    It is always astonishing to me how people experience different issues on the Tour, even when running the very same OS. There's a notion out there that the different experiences people are having depend on 1) Your carrier, i.e. Sprint or Verizon, and 2) Whether you wiped your handset completely before installing the new OS, or whether you just installed the new OS over the existing one. I maintain a healthy skepticism of these notions, for the simple fact that people have had different experiences even while running the stock OS 4.7, with no enhancements. Having said that, here's my take:

This was the stock OS for Sprint users, after an 'upgrade' from the original version. Radio performance was stable but not spectacular. People like me who had upgraded from the 8830 World edition with 64MB of memory to the Tour's 256MB of memory were looking forward to the increase in memory. These hopes were remorslessly dashed by OS 4.7. After my first 6 apps, any further attempts to download more apps led to systemic errors, in spite of the fact that I had a whopping 96MB of memory left on the device. If I was forced to reboot my phone before removing these malfunctioning apps, 'error 552' magically appeared, with the rest of the day spent reloading the OS, restoring lost data, and redownloading apps. I always rebooted my phone with the greatest reluctance and trepidation, because 10 minutes of waiting for the phone to reboot could transform into 5 hours of fixing error 552 and normalizing the phone again. I backed up my phone every two days, and missed a job interview because I was so enraged that I refused to fix the phone for a whole day after I bricked it for the 7th time.

My first leaked OS, downloaded through a red haze of rage after bricking my Tour for the 11th time during a routine reboot. I couldn't believe that RIM had packaged such an awful OS into an equally malfunctioning hardware. Issues with .230: Media files were misnamed, songs would not automatically progress to the next song on any playlist, numerous applications, including Viigo and Sprint Telenav where not working, radio functionality was mediocre, there were serious texting issues since one could not directly reply to a text, but had to access the contacts list to send a text, serious bluetooth issues, etc. To top it all off, battery life for me on .230 was absolutely horrendous. It was completely drained at 5 hours, 09 minutes and 03 seconds by the second day. My desperation led me to try Irtehun's hybrid v7.11, which improved my battery life so tremendously that I was almost able to go two days without needing to charge the battery. But because of all the issues I mentioned, I downgraded back to 4.7 with. I was screaming all the way.

After I downgraded back to 4.7, I decided to play it safe, and refused to download any new apps, even though I am an unreformed app junkie. Nevertheless, my Tour bricked itself again during a reboot on Monday, ironically hours before .419 the was due to be leaked. Fueled by anger again, I downloaded and installed with alacrity. Issues and findings: Radio at least rivals 4.7, but for some reason, apps that require constant connection seem to struggle. Nimbuzz, one of my favorite apps is not working. Sprint TV is also not working. Threaded texting is perfection, and offers the singular advantage of being able to delete an entire thread with any contact with a single delete option. All the issues with .230 have been fixed. All my apps work - with the exception of Nimbuzz - including Viigo. Browser is snappier than 4.7 and .230. Lovely to have BBM 5, with the ability to scan group bar codes. .419 has generally tweaked every aspect of utilizing the phone; going from app to app occurs very smoothly and seamlessly. Battery life has been improved by at least 20% over my experience with OS 4.7.57, although a precise estimate is impossible. .419 has no blatant flaws like .230, and appears so close to an official release that it might as well be one. Con: Voice dialing is not working on my device for the nonce.

This I can say with the utmost confidence: Wild horses would not drag me back to OS 4.7. I have had enough of 'outofmemoryerror,' 'verification error,' and 'error 552,' to last me till thy kingdom come.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 01-08-10 at 07:32 AM.
    01-08-10 06:59 AM
    Hey everyone, this version doesn't seem to allow me to connect to any servers through MidpSSH. Anyone else having this trouble?

I've reinstalled it OTA and through DM, edited permissions, changed connection types and still no joy.

If anyone has an idea or solution, I'm all ears.

John
    Edit permissions and set them all to DENY.
    pull battery
    Edit permissions and set them all to ALLOW.
    Pull Battery
    run app.

Dm
    01-08-10 07:52 AM
    @Barredbard

Incredible how you pulled through, glad that you finally came to terms with your Tour, thanks to a good OS
    01-08-10 08:00 AM
    I'm not getting awesome life out of mine. My behavior is the same as far as I can figure but I'm averaging ~5% more battery drain per hour. Heck I had it holstered while I slept and the drain was 1.6% per hour. That's a lot of battery usage for being on standby.

I'll continue to monitor it, but I'm not impressed in this regard. I like other things though, so I'll just keep my spare juiced up and handy.
    Battery pull a few times (Actually take the battery out about 2-3 times)
    Reboot.
    Problem solved...battery life increased.

Dm
    01-08-10 08:05 AM
    It is always astonishing to me how people experience different issues on the Tour, even when running the very same OS. There's a notion out there that the different experiences people are having depend on 1) Your carrier, i.e. Sprint or Verizon, and 2) Whether you wiped your handset completely before installing the new OS, or whether you just installed the new OS over the existing one. I maintain a healthy skepticism of these notions, for the simple fact that people have had different experiences even while running the stock OS 4.7, with no enhancements. Having said that, here's my take:

This was the stock OS for Sprint users, after an 'upgrade' from the original version. Radio performance was stable but not spectacular. People like me who had upgraded from the 8830 World edition with 64MB of memory to the Tour's 256MB of memory were looking forward to the increase in memory. These hopes were remorslessly dashed by OS 4.7. After my first 6 apps, any further attempts to download more apps led to systemic errors, in spite of the fact that I had a whopping 96MB of memory left on the device. If I was forced to reboot my phone before removing these malfunctioning apps, 'error 552' magically appeared, with the rest of the day spent reloading the OS, restoring lost data, and redownloading apps. I always rebooted my phone with the greatest reluctance and trepidation, because 10 minutes of waiting for the phone to reboot could transform into 5 hours of fixing error 552 and normalizing the phone again. I backed up my phone every two days, and missed a job interview because I was so enraged that I refused to fix the phone for a whole day after I bricked it for the 7th time.

My first leaked OS, downloaded through a red haze of rage after bricking my Tour for the 11th time during a routine reboot. I couldn't believe that RIM had packaged such an awful OS into an equally malfunctioning hardware. Issues with .230: Media files were misnamed, songs would not automatically progress to the next song on any playlist, numerous applications, including Viigo and Sprint Telenav where not working, radio functionality was mediocre, there were serious texting issues since one could not directly reply to a text, but had to access the contacts list to send a text, serious bluetooth issues, etc. To top it all off, battery life for me on .230 was absolutely horrendous. It was completely drained at 5 hours, 09 minutes and 03 seconds by the second day. My desperation led me to try Irtehun's hybrid v7.11, which improved my battery life so tremendously that I was almost able to go two days without needing to charge the battery. But because of all the issues I mentioned, I downgraded back to 4.7 with. I was screaming all the way.

After I downgraded back to 4.7, I decided to play it safe, and refused to download any new apps, even though I am an unreformed app junkie. Nevertheless, my Tour bricked itself again during a reboot on Monday, ironically hours before .419 the was due to be leaked. Fueled by anger again, I downloaded and installed with alacrity. Issues and findings: Radio at least rivals 4.7, but for some reason, apps that require constant connection seem to struggle. Nimbuzz, one of my favorite apps is not working. Sprint TV is also not working. Threaded texting is perfection, and offers the singular advantage of being able to delete an entire thread with any contact with a single delete option. All the issues with .230 have been fixed. All my apps work - with the exception of Nimbuzz - including Viigo. Browser is snappier than 4.7 and .230. Lovely to have BBM 5, with the ability to scan group bar codes. .419 has generally tweaked every aspect of utilizing the phone; going from app to app occurs very smoothly and seamlessly. Battery life has been improved by at least 20% over my experience with OS 4.7.57, although a precise estimate is impossible. .419 has no blatant flaws like .230, and appears so close to an official release that it might as well be one. Con: Voice dialing is not working on my device for the nonce.

This I can say with the utmost confidence: Wild horses would not drag me back to OS 4.7. I have had enough of 'outofmemoryerror,' 'verification error,' and 'error 552,' to last me till thy kingdom come.

Geez good post man!

I also have Sprint and I have to say 5.0.419 is awesome. All my apps work, media player and pictures load very fast, boot time is very quick. Nothing but positives on my end. Except for that damn Blackberry Registration message everytime I do a battery pull lol, but I can def live with that issue
    01-08-10 08:33 AM
    The only issue I have with .419 (upgrade from .230) on Verizon is that my network icon says 1XEV instead of 3G. I still get 3G speeds but the icon is wrong. Definitely faster boots, all else seems about the same from .230.
    01-08-10 08:53 AM
    The only issue I have with .419 (upgrade from .230) on Verizon is that my network icon says 1XEV instead of 3G. I still get 3G speeds but the icon is wrong. Definitely faster boots, all else seems about the same from .230.
    install either a .411 hybrid or a .423 hybrid and you will get the 3G symbol back
    01-08-10 09:28 AM
    Battery pull a few times (Actually take the battery out about 2-3 times)
    Reboot.
    Problem solved...battery life increased.

Dm
    I did this, probably more than 2-3 times, and the battery life still annoys the heck out of me
    01-08-10 09:34 AM
    I had bad luck with .230. My phone kept freezing. A battery pull was the only thing I could do and that got old quick. I tried everything from reloads, full wipes, etc. I was just going to just hold out for an official 5.0 OS.

.419 has given me no issues at all. I'm glad I gave another leaked 5.0 a chance. All pros, no cons for me!
    01-08-10 09:40 AM
    I'm with Verizon and Love this O.S.!! I would never go back. Luckily I have had zero problems with this. If I didn't know it wasn't official I would never have been able to tell.
    01-08-10 09:44 AM
    I feel like I should update, but I don't have a single issue with .230. Everything works perfect for me, even the media player.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 10:30 AM
    Pros: When I change the name from "me" on SMS Text it actually stays at my name when I reboot the phone. .230 wouldnt do that.

Cons: Trackball gets figgidy with FaceBook application at times. I noticed on certain SMS Texts, I see a the persons call back number that I am talking to. Takes up a little bit of space on the message. Not really a problem though, but I did notice that was different.

The biggest pro out of everything going from .230 to this version, was the boot up time. Its the fastest it has EVER been. Let alone the actual amount of time It took me to load this OS onto the phone was literally under 10 minutes.
    01-08-10 10:40 AM
    So far it's work in good. Coming from 4.7.1.157:
    +1 speed/response to my trackball/scrolling (80/80)
    +1 reboot time - much faster than 4.7
    +1 memory - after 1 1/2hrs no mem loss and batt down only 2% w/6 basic apps running
    +1 threaded text msging
    +1 most of my apps work well on OS 5.0
    +1 Sprint Nav working

-1 Blackberry Registration notice on reboot (Sprint issuue - no biggie)
    -1 themes are not working correctly so I'm limited to Precision Zen (I can deal w/that)
    -1 Opera Mini 4.2 not working on OS

I did have some of the problems that others mentioned like the white screen background, but I had to do a wipe and reinstall my 3rd party apps separately and, so far, no problems - but this can also be due to the theme development as well (idk).
    I think I'm gonna stick w/it for a while at least.
    01-08-10 10:41 AM
    Ditto. I miss the 3G icon also. Maybe they dont want the icon there for possible 4G comming in the future? Who knows lol
    01-08-10 10:42 AM
    Dont know if anyone has said this but with the leak there is a today theme available.. Awesome
    01-08-10 11:05 AM
    Sprint TV doesn't work. I had issues with Navigator but it's working now. TeleNav (unbranded Navigator) still thinks the GPS is off even when it's on. It also registers on Sprint with every boot, sending an annoying notification to the handset each time.

Upsides: html email looks better, threaded SMS is convenient, etc.

It's not revolutionary. I'm not sure my signal is better. It still fluctuates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Hawk....Upgrade your Sprint Nav and you will be good to go. Version 2.8 works like a charm. The OTA link is in my signature.
    01-08-10 11:40 AM
    @Barredbard

Incredible how you pulled through, glad that you finally came to terms with your Tour, thanks to a good OS
    Yeah, thanks man. The only thing that I hope to upgrade to from here is the official release.
    01-08-10 11:59 AM
    can someone post screenshots of the .419 ?
    01-08-10 12:02 PM
    Geez good post man!

I also have Sprint and I have to say 5.0.419 is awesome. All my apps work, media player and pictures load very fast, boot time is very quick. Nothing but positives on my end. Except for that damn Blackberry Registration message everytime I do a battery pull lol, but I can def live with that issue
    Lol, thanks. I always play cautious with electronics; I never violate my rule of not buying them within the first 6 months of their release. For example, the first batch of Playstation 2s had an issue with the circuit that resulted in defective units. The first Xbox 360s were susceptible to the red lights of doom. I always like to give the manufacturer time to tweak their devices and iron out any kinks. But, buoyed by the great experience I had with my retired 8830, I violated my rule by buying the Tour when it first became available. There's been **** to pay since. I definitely won't be making that mistake again.
    01-08-10 12:06 PM
113 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD